Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Netbook recomendations
bob

posted on 15/5/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Netbook recomendations

I'm after a netbook and looking around there seems to be a lot of choice, anyone use one for everyday use ?

I'm only really interested in one for email and web away from home so basic really, if it can run my megajolt as well thats a bonus.

Andybarbet

posted on 15/5/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought an Advent Milano 10" Netbook, 1.6mhz processor, 1gig ram & 160 gig harddrive, 123 pounds delivered from these guys on ebay, username :

currys_pcworld

It was a shop return, you get 3 months warranty, its the same spec as my wifes 12" netbook that we bought about 3 years ago but its ideal for what i need. I only really surf the net & check emails etc. I also work away quite a bit so its much easier for me to pop in my bag.

As far as im concerned, you cant go wrong with one as an everyday pc but im sure if you want to watch films & play games etc then they wont be any good. My one has replaced an 11 year old dell inspiron 7500 which i bought 5 years ago just because a friend offered me it for 50 quid and i knew it would be needed when i eventually got megasquirt as it has a serial port, as it happens, ive used it everyday since. As you can imagine, my new netbook is miles quicker & much smaller.

Good luck

[Edited on 15/5/11 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

RichardK

posted on 15/5/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have an asus eee 4g which has a solid state hard drive so no working parts, really robust but only 7" screen which maybe a bit small for some people, seem to go for about £80 on the bay.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 15/5/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an HP Mini Note 2140 which is great - I use it as my main work laptop.

Stu

RazMan

posted on 15/5/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Advent 4213 from PCW - bought it 2 years ago and it has done just about everything from graphic design, skype (when on a training course) email and mapping. I replaced the existing hard drive with an SSD and it really makes a big difference on performance and battery life. Brilliant bit of kit

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 15/5/11 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
The CULV based netbooks seem to be faster and more usable than the Atom based ones IME, even though they run at lower clock speeds. I have a 1.2GHz Dell 11Z and a 1.6GHz Aspire One and even though the Dell is running Vista (errugh) it still feels noticeably quicker and more responsive than the Acer which is running XP. Battery life is very good as well, about 5 1/2 hours with the standard 6 cell battery with the screen brightness turned down.
loggyboy

posted on 15/5/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
We have a Dell inspiron 1011. Its running windows starter which is quite basic, and it could to with more than the 1gb ram it has. But other than that, its perfect for surfing net, doing the office work and alike.
wylliezx9r

posted on 15/5/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had a toshiba netbook can't remember the exact spec I payed about 300 for it. I got rid of it after about 3 months because it wasn't even capable of browsing the internet efficiently, my mobile phone was faster.
I got a motorola xoom tablet for my 30 th and have hardly put it down in 3 weeks. Its quick, huge hd screen, no fans or heat generated and the best of all its pure fun, on the other hand its expensive and doubt it will run your car software.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

JoelP

posted on 15/5/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
i have an 11.6" hp pavillion job, about £240 it was new. Has hdmi out to connect to tv. Certainly quick enough for what i do, and so is the 3 mobile internet.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

stevebubs

posted on 15/5/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
We have a Dell inspiron 1011. Its running windows starter which is quite basic, and it could to with more than the 1gb ram it has. But other than that, its perfect for surfing net, doing the office work and alike.

Ditto - we have a 1012 with Win7 and the only thing we changed it was to pull the 1GB stick out and put a 2GB stick in. Made a huge difference and the missus uses it all the time.

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/5/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I got an Asus EEE PC 1008HA about 2years back running win7 starter. Cost about £225, I got it for travelling as my previous expensive laptop had died and was going to cost £500 to repair. So netbook was bought on a whim.

Absolutely perfect for mapping (with USB to Serial cable), drove to Stoneleigh logging all the way (1hour 10min), looked at log and revised map, and drove back logging all the way. Didn't bother taking the charger as I knew it would do it easily.

I have dropped it a few times (fell off the cage from vibration) and it is fine. I did manage to break the screen (dropped helmet on it with screen open, dohhh!) but replacement screen was £50 from e-bay (and easy to fit).

It is good for mail (even big stuff), Word and Excel and general processing. It isn't good for fullscreen video which is jumpy (presumably its video card is too basic), or use with virtual machines (1GB of memory and they don't expect you to add more). Screen size is limiting for serious word processing, but its just a netbook.

EeePc were one of the earliest into the Netbook world which is why I went with them.

Jasper

posted on 16/5/11 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Got an Acer One - about £220 delivery. Lovely little thing, does everything i want it to do and really long battery life.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

britishtrident

posted on 16/5/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Acer oe eMachine Netbooks are just fine 2hours + battery life (when new) and bigger battery packs are available on ebay, they also can be dual booted with Linux with no glitches.

However things may change in the Netbook market Google Chrome OS is being loaded by some manufacturers it may or may not catch on.

Also if you want mobile Email consider an Android phone that connects to WiFi such as the Orange San Francisco .

[Edited on 16/5/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bob

posted on 16/5/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads thats been really helpfull

scudderfish

posted on 17/5/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking at the currys place on ebay and fancied a netbook they were selling for £165. Googled around and found it cheaper on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O6LQM2/ref=oss_product

Mr G

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
As mentioned earlier a tablet might fit your needs. The advent vega running android with honeycombe is a sweet bit of kit for £199 (or cheaper) at currys/pcworld

Very good spec dual core 1ghz cpu that clocks upto 1.5ghz if your a speed freak

Large capacitive screen, handles flash no problem, has hdmi output so can hook it upto your monitor/tv if you wish. Wireless/bluetooth/usb etc.

And if i'm not mistaken there are megajolt apps out there for android

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.