Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dumb question spraying car.
jossey

posted on 18/5/11 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
dumb question spraying car.

SOOOOOOOO.

im gonna spray my car and im practising on a old body panel which i seem to be doing ok.

ive filled sanded and primered all ok.

But im using a gravity fed gun. there is an Air hole on top of the paint cup lid. does that need to be open when spraying cos i noticed if i open the top if the paint when im spraying to check the levels the next spray has loads of paint....

sorry if its a Muppet question.......

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
i leave it open, it lets air in to replace the paint you've sprayed.
never noticed the next bit being full of paint though. might just mean you have to clear the gun by spraying away from the panel after checking. might just be a gravity feed thing. I've been using gravity fed guns though

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 18/5/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Has to be open and unclogged regularly.
russbost

posted on 18/5/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I always put a bit of mig wire thro' the hole & leave it there, just agitate it once in a while to make sure it doesn't block. If you get the airhole blocked it will gradually reduce the amount of paint sprayed as the vacuum in the cup increases, once vacuum is high enough to suck paint clear of the airhole you will suddenly get much more paint transfer.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jossey

posted on 18/5/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
cool thanks guys.

im getting my head round this spraying lark slowly but surely.

just need more practise stopping the orange peel effect.

Thanks

David Johnson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 18/5/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
what pressure have you got the air at?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hubby

posted on 18/5/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
need more practise stopping the orange peel effect

i find it easier being to the side while spraying instead of face on as you can see how dry or wet the paint is going on and make sure you cover each coat with 50% of the spray on the next coat and always make sure there's enough light so you can see what your doing instead of hoping for the best
jossey

posted on 18/5/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure wise Its a HVLP which should run at 3bar so I have it set at that at the filter trap and then running 115 from the compressor. It never falls below 3bar.

Orange peel issue I think I just over did it then with the coat. I've sanded it smooth again with 1200 wet n dry n I'll apply another coat later.

Think I'm getting there.

The paint spirt is sorted by leaving the vent open and using the wire as mentioned above cheers :-)

Cheers all

Dave

Thanks

David Johnson

Nick DV

posted on 28/5/11 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
What type of paint are you spraying?

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.