Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: You spend years looking for a job .....
RazMan

posted on 20/5/11 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
You spend years looking for a job .....

..... and then two come along at once!

In January I took a job as Telecom Engineer after years of trying to find ANYONE who would take on a fiftysomething who simply just wanted to work for a living and pay the mortgage. After five months of honest toil I got a call from an employment agency who said they had an ideal job for me - yeah right.

Anyway I went to an interview on Wednesday and thought it went rather well - I just got a call today to say that I GOT THE JOB!! Nearly double my present salary (OTE but I'm optimistic) and I can get back into my old profession of Production Design Manager for a modern sign manufacturer.

No more pole climbing for me, no more grovelling around in wet manholes or poking around in dusty lofts. HURRAH!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 20/5/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Good news mate, hope it goes well for you. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

TimC

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Its always the way - I accepted an offer last week and within 48hrs I was told to expect a counter offer by the HR guy from another firm that I'd had a series of interviews with - and I also had a guy at another firm saying "I know you've accepted elsewhere but we REALLY would like to meet you."

I cried: 'enough!' - having been back from my travels for 3-months I was essentially desperate to get into something - so accepted what was the first (strong & interesting) offer.

[Edited on 21/5/11 by TimC]

blockhead_rich

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Great news RAZMAN, hope all goes well!!

Rich

T66

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Its really uplifting to secure a job, when you feel your being left behind. There is a train of thought that young people are dynamic, motivated and more employable.

Which I generally see as, when its all going tits up and the coal is flying, people my age (45) step in and take over from the young ones, as they have now become operationally inneffective and implode.

Go show them what can be done!

Well done & good luck

marcjagman

posted on 21/5/11 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Its really uplifting to secure a job, when you feel your being left behind. There is a train of thought that young people are dynamic, motivated and more employable.

Which I generally see as, when its all going tits up and the coal is flying, people my age (45) step in and take over from the young ones, as they have now become operationally inneffective and implode.

Go show them what can be done!

Well done & good luck

I agree, what chance will I have when I start to look for work again, already in my mid 40's and when I have to stop looking after my wife (who is on borrowed time) it will have been over 6 years since I had a job. Who will take me on? I'm behind with new generation of machinery and people don't want to spend time these days just showing you how a new machine differs from what the older stuff did. So well done to you.

posted on 21/5/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Well done mate.

See you at the BBQ ?

Cheers,
Paul G

macc man

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Strange really, but I used to enjoy climbing poles and working outside for BT. Far easier than the work I do now.Good luck.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 21/5/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! Good to hear some good news on the job front. I really need to get my cv up to date and start punting it around!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.