Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken number plate MOT fail?
ditchlewis

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Broken number plate MOT fail?

As above really.

when i last broke down i had to pull onto the grass verge and the front plate got trashed. it is still in one piece but was folded back around the boltsand badly cracked. Is this an MOT failure?

reason for asking is the car needs an mot this week and i cannot get to a local motor factors to get a new one till next weekend, so hould i pospone the MOT?

Regards

Ditch

Dickyboy

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I had a failure because a discoloured stripe appeared where the backing started bubbling away. The guy said they are hot on it cos of ANPR
David Jenkins

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords or Eastern Auto Spares (Nacton) will make you a new one while you wait... and they're both open this morning!

Make sure you take the necessary documentation with you though - Reg document and proof of identity, IIRC.

rusty nuts

posted on 22/5/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
If the number is still clearly readable and the plate itself is secured it shouldn't be a problem although it may depend on the individual testers interpretation of the rules.
ditchlewis

posted on 22/5/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
many thanks, i am just off down town so will call into halfords on the way back. may even get some time today to work on the hood, i just need to cut the back to shape around the roll bar and fit straps to the rear.

regards
ditch

HowardB

posted on 22/5/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
my last Scooby MOT would have been a fail for a broken rear plate, except the garage fitted one for me during the pre-inspection. It had a big chunk out of it and had broken a fixing so was hiding behind the tow bar.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

McLannahan

posted on 22/5/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've got my last reg plates for the last few years off EBay. Generally delivered within 3 days and they cost about £5 too, not the £15 Halfrauds charge! You can request legal plates (postcode and jazz on the bottom) too so it's as legit as others from elsewhere.

loggyboy

posted on 22/5/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
As long as its legible it should pass. Ive passed with fairly badly cracked plates in the past. If its recent it should have got any muck behind it.
However, might be worth throwing £15 at halfords to ensure it passes. If you have time then check on ebay, I got a pair done (With 3d style letters) for £7 posted!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.