Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mud Flaps!
Promai Joe

posted on 27/5/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mud Flaps!

Having just past got my car on the road, I had no other option but to drive my daughter for a hospital appointment yesterday. Unfortunately the heavens opened and I was massively impressed at the amount of water my front tyres could displace. I had not considered the end location of this displacement, the right hand side of my body and my little girl!

So the question is has any one designed a quick release mud flap which can be put on the front wheel arch in the event of being caught out in the rain? I don't really want them on all the time as they spoil the look of the car.

or any other solutions? I did see the post on half door which looked quite useful. I don't want a roof either.

Bluemoon

posted on 27/5/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Mine are not removable, but I would think this quite straight forward only need two bolts and penny washers for each flap.. I suspect you could use two pins and R-clips to similar effect.. They do may a huge difference in the wet and also stop (most of) the stones getting flung up. I note in you pick no helmet on you littel-un with no screen (I think you may have a screen though?). I would not be so happy about that (with stones and all, even with flaps)..

[Edited on 27/5/11 by Bluemoon]

Promai Joe

posted on 27/5/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Fortunately the journey was all speedhumps and 20mph limit through a roya park, the joys of living near London. She will be getting her lid this weekend
blakep82

posted on 27/5/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
dzus fastners?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

indykid

posted on 27/5/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also recommend one of these for your daughter....

As long as she has eye protection on, I think she's adequately protected. Her head can't be far above the dash, if at all. We all know it's bees that hurt the most anyway . A helmet is overkill for anything other than motorway or long journeys imho.

For the flaps, clevis pins and r clips sounds like the best idea to me. Wingnuts are very prone to loosening off, so some sort of positive locking mechanism like that would be ideal.

Bluemoon

posted on 27/5/11 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Promai Joe
Fortunately the journey was all speedhumps and 20mph limit through a roya park, the joys of living near London. She will be getting her lid this weekend

Know that feeling lived in harrow for 2/3years, difficult to get the kit "out" of it takes a good 20min to get to "normal" roads found the mud flaps helped a-lot on the motorway with spray (but very glad of side screens+windscreen+flint stone hood I think the "bath tub" would be full after passing 1 or 2 lorries other wise!).

Dan

Promai Joe

posted on 27/5/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
I'd also recommend one of these for your daughter....

forgive my ignorance, but what is it for?

JF

posted on 28/5/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe a strip of u channel as found on caravans on the lower edge of the mudguards? The same stuff some people on here used for attaching their roof to the windscreen. You can easely slide it in from the side in seconds. You might need something to stop it sliding out though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.