Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fed up with my Garmin sat nav (SOLVED!)
David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fed up with my Garmin sat nav (SOLVED!)

I've noticed lately that my Garmin Nuvi satnav is not performing well, and today is no exception...

On a 45 mile drive from home to Tilbury, there is a tricky junction with 3 roundabouts (where the A130 crosses the A13). When I got to the 3rd roundabout it was giving me instructions for the 2nd! I've noticed previously that 'current position' is often 10 - 20 seconds behind reality.

On the way back it told me to turn left onto the A12, then turn right (what, across the barriers?), instead of '2nd exit on the 1st roundabout, then 2nd exit on the next one' to go under the A12 and join on the other side. Further up the A12 it tried to send me off the main road - goodness knows where - when in fact I live 1 mile off the A12 25 miles further up.

In comparison, my HTC Desire phone using Google Navigator is always spot-on as far as location is concerned, and hasn't yet sent me off in the wrong direction. The only reason I don't use it all the time is that it's more of a faff than the dedicated satnav. It also gets hot and the battery loses charge, even when on the power lead.

Are the TomTom satnavs any better?

[Edited on 31/5/11 by David Jenkins]

eddie99

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I find the tom-tom satnav is really good! Very little delay if any although sometimes it needs a few moments to recalculate routes.... Mine is a couple of years old though so they are probably even better nowadays.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DRC INDY 7

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought a tom tom XXl IQ 5 inch screen with europe too its a dream to use

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

bob tatt

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
i use a tom tom for work and travel a lot, had it about 8 years now and is always very good if you have the current maps in that is if not its pot luck.
cliftyhanger

posted on 30/5/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Our garmin seemed to start well, and gradually got worse. Luckily we bought a 3yr warranty (from argos, cost an extra £12) so it recently went back and refunded. Not bad value, £12 for nearly 3 years rental
Anyway, currently waiting for the tomtom to drop in price (the refund was to a gift card) and we will then buy another. Meanwhile we are old skool, and using a map. Miss the camera warnings though (plus the nearest macdonalds/pub etc)

austin man

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Also got the Tom Tom XXl IQ top tip though dont leave the mounting on the rear deck lid as I did doh. New one £22.00 so the deal I got is not so impressive now

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I getting a bit p'ed off with near accidents caused by drivers following satnavs and not looking at road signs on complex road junctions.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Also got the Tom Tom XXl IQ top tip though dont leave the mounting on the rear deck lid as I did doh. New one £22.00 so the deal I got is not so impressive now

Wally

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I getting a bit p'ed off with near accidents caused by drivers following satnavs and not looking at road signs on complex road junctions.

Me too!

I always work on the principle that I'm in charge when driving - the satnav is just a guide, which can be over-ruled at any time (and often is, at the moment).

locogeoff

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I used google navigator on my phone to get a route through Edinburgh city centre, I had a good chuckle, and this will only mean something to folk familiar with Edinburgh, when it instructed me to go down market street then turn right on to the north bridge. for those not familiar with Edinburgh the north bridge does indeed cross market street, but about 60 feet above it. I do have access to a 4X4 but not one that will scale vertical walls :-0 it would probably be breaking some bylaw anyway.
SteveWalker

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Me too!

I always work on the principle that I'm in charge when driving - the satnav is just a guide, which can be over-ruled at any time (and often is, at the moment).

That's it. As long as people still think for themselves, a satnav is a great tool. You get chance to get in the correct lane as you approach a junction instead of a last minute change when you get to the signs that are generally placed too close; you don't need to concentrate on the names of side roads to check how far to the next turn; you don't have to try and read a map/list of directions on a road that has nowhere for you to stop for a moment. All of which *should* give drivers more opportunity to concentrate on driving and what's going on around them (including signs) instead of the task of navigating.

I have a somewhat aging Garmin Nuvi and have had no real problems with it. It does on rare occasions turn off a road and back onto it later when staying on seems a better option, but whenever I think it's doing that, I just ignore it.

My maps are out of date and it is almost as cheap to buy a whole new unit instead of updating them, but I will probably update, as I also use it as an in-car MP3 player and hands-free phone kit.

ReMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I was pushed a Garmin aT halfrauds. It went back after a week as mis sold load of crap, that did'nt know my home post code.
Got another tom tom which I'd gone for in the first place

[Edited on 30/5/11 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

UncleFista

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
(snip)
and the battery loses charge, even when on the power lead.

You have a .5a charger, you need a charger that will provide more (.85a ?).
Mine cost £3 and charges my desire HD while the satnav is running.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

PSpirine

posted on 30/5/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
My Garmin 775 was actually pretty good until it got nicked.

I currently use a Garmin Vista HCx, i.e. one of those handheld walking etrex type things, just with colour. Loaded with Navigator maps (available free if you look hard enough) it is really good with directions! 2" screen isn't ideal, but as an aid to finding addresses it's excellent. And it's waterproof and has sea charts, topo maps for cycling etc. etc.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
I used google navigator on my phone to get a route through Edinburgh city centre, I had a good chuckle, and this will only mean something to folk familiar with Edinburgh, when it instructed me to go down market street then turn right on to the north bridge. for those not familiar with Edinburgh the north bridge does indeed cross market street, but about 60 feet above it. I do have access to a 4X4 but not one that will scale vertical walls :-0 it would probably be breaking some bylaw anyway.

PMSL

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
(snip)
and the battery loses charge, even when on the power lead.

You have a .5a charger, you need a charger that will provide more (.85a ?).
Mine cost £3 and charges my desire HD while the satnav is running.

You're probably correct - it's only a cheapy power supply.

Do you find that your desire gets quite warm when you use it this way? (that sentence can can be read two ways! )

RazMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Do you find that your desire gets quite warm when you use it this way? (that sentence can can be read two ways! )

I am always shocked by the amount of heat my Desire generates when using the SatNav (Co-Pilot in my case) even when not using the charger.

I usually entrust my navigation to my NavMan Spirit - lovely bit of kit. It keeps up with even the most complex of junction layout. One thing to remember is that any Satnav will have problems 'seeing' through some windscreens that have heated elements or reflective coatings.

[Edited on 30-5-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
One thing to remember is that any Satnav will have problems 'seeing' through some windscreens that have heated elements or reflective coatings.

That would be a possibility as I have a Focus with a heated windscreen - if it wasn't for the fact that the desire works 100% of the time while in exactly the same location in the car!

I have no experience of the NavMan devices - are they any good?

As for my original problem - I did a bit of googling and found a couple of people (including Garmin!) who suggested a total reset of the device, which I did last night. I'll try it this morning to see if it's made any difference.

David Jenkins

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
And the solution is...

Do a factory reset (switch on while pressing the bottom-right of the screen).

I first read this bit of advice on Garmin's own help site, and thought it was another "try turning it off and on again" response. But it seems to have worked... the satnav gives a snappy response again, and generally seems quicker.

The down-side is that I had to re-enter a number of family destinations as they had all been wiped, and I had to re-apply my speed camera files, but that only took me a little while last night.

I've also ordered a proper HTC car charger... thanks for the link about car chargers posted above!

scudderfish

posted on 31/5/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Incidentally TomTom have just been spanked in the Netherlands for selling tracking data to the police so they can find the best spots for speed cameras. Would you feel comfortable giving your money to a company that does that with your data?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.