About the same as donor car
Worse than donor car

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel consumption
rodgling

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel consumption

I'm currently getting 18 mpg (cruising around fairly moderately) out of an E36 328 in a 7-type car - the donor should get at least around 25-30 mpg. Is it normal to get worse mpg than the donor car?

EDIT: I meant when you're just cruising around not caning it (since this is how the mpg numbers for the donors will have been derived).

[Edited on 31/5/11 by rodgling]

RichardK

posted on 30/5/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Worse, but that purely down to how I drive it LOL, the Zetec however is getting 50 miles per tankful more than the pinto did as my jets a so much smaller on the bike carbs.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
KitCatE1

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
perfectly normal not to get the same figures as the donor i get around the same 18-20 all depends how you drive, the 7 esque cars may be alot lighter than their donors but have the aerodynamics of a fridge for a start not to mention all the mods and temptation to put your foot down lol
RazMan

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I get better fuel consumption than the Mondeo my engine was taken from. 35-40mpg on a run - not bad for a V6

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
tuned up pinto's don't get good mpg but they do make you

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

Chippy

posted on 30/5/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
My wife had a V6 Granada, and would get a good 35 mpg, mine in my lardy 7 type does 20 if I am carefull, and a lot less if I'm not, (which is most of the time). :-) Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

DRC INDY 7

posted on 31/5/11 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
I get between 40-44mpg with the nissan engine

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

tomgregory2000

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
i only get 35-40mpg on my nissan but i can get 10mpg pushing hard
adithorp

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Getting 25-30 on the road depending on usage. Less on track. No idea what the bike did though...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

StrikerChris

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah,mine went from 22 in the 200sx to around 15 in the kit,but it does only get abused now,where I used it as a commute in its tintop days.
Bluemoon

posted on 31/5/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Not a good question; if you drive really hard it's going to be worse.. If you take it easy as you would in the original car it will be better (less weight in a 7).

Dan

rodgling

posted on 31/5/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good point, I've amended the original question to reflect this.

In my case I still suspect an engine problem since when I plug in a laptop, the ECU has a fault code for the lambdas saying they are reading off the scale - if the car wasn't running rich it wouldn't do this, regardless of fuel economy.

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/5/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
It could be knackered lambda probe. I have broken 2, if any fluid hits them when hot (fuel or water) then they can crack. I think the manufacturers spend more time choosing exactly where to place them than we do, and probably don't arse around with bad mixtures as much.

What do the plugs look like?

I get loads of MPG on a cruise in mine. Probably 35-40mpg, although I haven't measured it precisely. Not sure now the turbo is on.

Chippy

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Not a good question; if you drive really hard it's going to be worse.. If you take it easy as you would in the original car it will be better (less weight in a 7).
Dan

I agree Dan, but that only applies if the engine is left totaly standard, my wifes Granada made 190 ish bhp on a good day, my lardy 7 alike makes 238+ so economy is definately not going to be in the same bracket. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.