Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4X4 Recommendations Please
RazMan

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
4X4 Recommendations Please

Due to a change of job I will need to swap my Lexus Soarer for a 4X4 or AWD vehicle. Last winter my car was stranded on the drive for weeks and I need to be sure I can get to work whatever the weather. My car is worth a little under £2K and I dont really want to spend a lot more than a few hundred quid on top - maybe a total budget of £3K?

I toyed with the idea of a Celica GT4 and was really impressed with the performance and roadholding but I am now getting a bit more sensible and think a diesel 4X4 would be a better option.

So what would you recommend as a daily hack? It needs to be reliable and economical (hence the diesel choice) My first thoughts were Freelander or Vitara but I know absolutely nothing about 4X4s sp I thought i would ask you lot as you know everything

*edit* Just in case anyone is interested here is a link to the Pistonheads ad.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2771604.htm

[Edited on 31-5-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeanStone

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
What about a subaru legacy?

Also, what's the budget?

RazMan

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
What about a subaru legacy?

Also, what's the budget?

Good point - I've edited to include a budget of £3K

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
forget about the english hate for anything british freelanders work ok
mookaloid

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Should be able to get a Jaguar x-type 4x4 for that sort of money

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

norfolkluego

posted on 31/5/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
No 4x4 will be genuinely economical
morcus

posted on 1/6/11 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
That all depends on what you comparing too, some Hybrids have the electric drive on the rear and petrol/diesel on the front and thus are meant to be more economical than the 2WD equivelents.

How economical were you hoping for? A panda 4x4 will give you brilliant economy and my 2WD one isn't bad on snow (Apart from the semi-auto box has a habit of changing down and spinning the wheels). I work with a guy with an x-type with a 3l V6 and he says he gets high 20's out of it, I've got a feeling though that the smaller diesels were all FWD. Lovely cars though.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

HowardB

posted on 1/6/11 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
stuff economy, go for excitement and get a scooby!

Ok the diesel forester, legacy and scooby are economical but not a cheap option as they are too new.

As for getting anywhere I have yet to miss a meeting anywhere because of bad weather, and that includes regular winter trips to Aberdeen.

I know it doesn't help, but the wrx is awesome!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
All that really matters is what tyres you fit, I'd save some money on fuel buy getting a 4wd Car (rather than a massive softroader) and then spend that money on a set of decent winter tyres. My 2wd 406 Hack went everywhere through the snow on its Dunlop Winter tyres.

Personally I would go for an Audi A4 or 46 1.9 Tdi Quattro you will see at least 45mpg have a decent car to drive and it will be great in the snow with winter tyres.

You might eve get an Audi Allroad for you budget.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Simple - A RAV4. The older ones (without all the bling styling) are incredibly good.

Freeloaders often come loaded with problems that take a great deal of time/money to fix.

I've tried most. My current is more of a 'toy', it's a SII (1967) SWB Land Rover. I wouldn't go there...

........ Alternatively - a R1150GS? (you'll struggle at £3K), or an XT660Z if speed isn't an issue.

sm1ggles

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
4x4

get a disco td5 for 3k just check the chassis other than that there great go any where
JoelP

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
im with doc derek myself, a 4wd car is the solution for your problems. You dont need the ground clearance, just the 4wd. Fuel bills are awful in offroaders, and handling is worse than cars.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

blue2cv

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a 2002 1.8 petrol Freelander for sale around £2k, used it all over last lot of snow averaging 30mpg, that was over about 3k miles, i was going out just for the crack in end, nearly as much fun as a trouser off episode.

[Edited on 1/6/11 by blue2cv]

ianclark1275

posted on 1/6/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
my pal just sold one of these, for 3500

get it remapped and they are fast.

lot of car for your money.

2003 03 Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI diesel 163PS Estate | eBay UK

Dr derek is correct, fit snow tyres to any car and you will get most places.

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

franky

posted on 1/6/11 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Get a passat v6 4motion estate for £1800-2k.

Put the extra cash towards the fuel. It'll take a while to make up the extra price of an oil burner.

morcus

posted on 2/6/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Another line of thought that has yet to pop up in this thread, what about a Truck? They seem to have gone out of fashion having been very fashionable around the time my dad bought one (He lost huge money because of this, on in the condition he sold his in would have sold for almost what he paid for it when he bought it). You get cheaper Tax (According to my dad) and that thing would go anywhere assuming the bed didn't hit the ground on slopes (I saw him drive up a verge for fun and have the rear bumper dig it'self into the ground). Economy is rubbish in them though but they're huge fun.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/6/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I never had a problem in snow in my 106 with super skinny tyres...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.