Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Front indicators
MautoK

posted on 21/7/04 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Front indicators

Just wondering...
Is there any (good) reason for not fixing the front indicators off the headlight crossbar?
I don't have the SVA book to hand (sounds better than saying that I haven't got one) but there could possibly be visibility or dimensional issues that mean they have to hang off the snowcone.
Any thoughts out in MK cyberland?

mad-butcher

posted on 21/7/04 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
can't see why not me thinks dick turpin or someone like that mount theirs same way under the headlight just more wires to dangle around
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/7/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
something like this? Rescued attachment Indicators.jpg
Rescued attachment Indicators.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Petemate

posted on 21/7/04 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Should be OK - some of the Robin Hoods had 'em there - on what are loosely referred to as Madonna's t**s.....
Pete(Oldgit)

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/7/04 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
that where they were on the original design how ever I see that the catervan has moved the whole lot further forward to aid the visibility angles......which is probally why some one put the bike ones on the nose cone.....Personally I would love to stick em in the head lights like the golf and some other modern tin boxes. The torpedo lights were a favourite on clam shells. Not all that long ago..

Hellfire

posted on 22/7/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have MK's latest nosecone? There are recesses on the nosecone specifically for the indicators. Although you don't have to use them...........

MautoK

posted on 22/7/04 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I collected the kit just on 12 months ago so not sure whether that counts as 'latest'.
But the nosecone does have the little recesses.
It just seems a bit more robust to mount the indy-cators off the crossbar. If they are cantilevered out from the f/g there's the likelihood of stress cracking over time.
And it makes the wiring easier - the indy-cator wires sit alongside the headlight wires all the way; and no issues with trapped wires going to the hinged nosecone.

Thanks guys.

MK7

posted on 22/7/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
There is a regulation in the SVA manual that says the lights have to be visible at a certain distance in front of and to the side of the car. Just looked it up, you have to be able to see the indictor at 80 degrees (which corresponds to 2 feet in front and 11.3 feet to the side). This has to be measured at the same height as the indicator.

I originally had mine on the headlamp bar before realising that the front wheels prevented me from meeting the SVA requirement.

j30fos

posted on 23/7/04 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with MK7, I failed my SVA on this, checkout my photo section to see how mine used to be. They have to go on te nose cone, its not worth the risk, you can always move them after ;-)
MautoK

posted on 23/7/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, MK7 and j30fos. The 80 degree viewing angle was just the sort of issue I was wary of.
Sorry you had to find out the hard way though.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.