Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FS Triumph GT6 restoration project
pewe

posted on 10/6/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
FS Triumph GT6 restoration project

Having hung onto this for years as a future resto project I've finally been persuaded (a. by guess who?) to part with her (b. so I can acquire the next project!).
Basically it's a white 1970 Mk2 (the one with the larger valves).
I've owned it since it was three years old and it's 95% original (only the 5.5J wheels and steering wheel aren't and it needs a front bumper).
So it's almost all there BUT it's been chocked up outside under a tarp for donkeys years.
I would assume it needs a body-off resto so it needs someone with the skill and enthusiasm to do that.
Open to sensible offers before it goes on fleabay but I strongly suggest you come and have a look (RG1) before getting too wound up about it.
May be able to deliver for the cost of the petrol.
Cheers, Pewe
a.
b.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

locogeoff

posted on 10/6/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
So you have a Jota and a GT6...

Did you nick my vehicle wish list at some point

DaveFJ

posted on 10/6/11 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
got any piccies?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

scootz

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Get some piccies posted up...
........... please!

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

scootz

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
He's teasing us!

It's Evolution Baby!

spiderman

posted on 10/6/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pewe,
I may be interested as I have a gt6 mk 2 which I am restoring and converting to Cosworth turbo motor and running gear.
I would like to see some photos before driving all the way to Reading just for a look, and some idea of price would be useful.

Why is it every time I try to rationalize my projects and have a clear out I end up with more ? I now have 7 cars and 2 motorcycles perhaps if Pewe puts some photos on this thread it could be 8 cars.

[Edited on 10/6/11 by spiderman]

Spider

spiderman

posted on 10/6/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent

Spider

pewe

posted on 12/6/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your interest guys.
Just back from a family wedding so will take and post pics. once this rain stops.
Cheers, Pewe

John Bonnett

posted on 12/6/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Pewe old lad, why did you wait so long to advertise your car? I've just bought a MK3 not tax exempt and with a lot of work ahead of me. I would certainly have been interested in your car.

Spiderman I am considering what engine to use and would be pleased to see any pictures you have of the Cosworth implant. Although the sound of a small six is amazing, I'm not thrilled about the old technology of the Triumph engine and the need to use Optimax. The BMW six has come to mind but I have no idea on the relative size compared with the Triumph engine and box and whether it would be an easy fit. Whilst I am not thinking of Cosworth power. if that fitted a GT6 without major butchery then a Zetec/Type9 should go in without any problem.

I'd be interested in any thoughts people might have.

John

spiderman

posted on 13/6/11 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett

Spiderman I am considering what engine to use and would be pleased to see any pictures you have of the Cosworth implant. Although the sound of a small six is amazing, I'm not thrilled about the old technology of the Triumph engine and the need to use Optimax. The BMW six has come to mind but I have no idea on the relative size compared with the Triumph engine and box and whether it would be an easy fit. Whilst I am not thinking of Cosworth power. if that fitted a GT6 without major butchery then a Zetec/Type9 should go in without any problem.

I'd be interested in any thoughts people might have.

John

Hi John,
I have not started my GT6 /cosworth project as yet because I have to finish my locost first. I am also considering a BMW straight 6 motor as I am not a great fan of cosworths but I got the whole car with no mot, and rotten bodyshell for £700. The plan was to fit cosworth diff and driveshafts and whilst I was at it the motor as well with the intention of running it for a while and changing to BMW motor later on, as I want to use it everyday and I fear for my licence if I keep the cosworth in it for too long, as I am bound to start upping the power as soon as I got used to it and I have a great deal of difficulty in not using the power if I have it available (I'm just a 48yr old teenager).

I do have a type 9 and an mt75 box which I will be trying for size in the near future and possibly the cosworth but I have to remove it first.

I am having a clear out at the moment as I want to emmigrate to New Zealand in about 18 months and I have too many projects, 7 cars and 2 bikes, trouble is every time I look on ebay at the moment I seem to end up buying something as stuff is really cheap at the moment (the recession IS starting to really hit some people now).
I will be listing some of the projects on ebay soon but will give you guys the heads up when I do.

Oh I bought a MK1 Fiesta off a guy at work the other day (just to p*ss off a w%nker at work because he wanted it and I only paid half of what he offered) so if anyone wants a MK1 Fiesta with a solid shell, 25K miles from new, 1 wing needs replacing/repair and the other has a small dent, I have had it started but the electrics are a bit iffy at the moment (rear wiper will not switch off) make me an reasonable offer and it's yours. I would post some pictures but I don't have any at the moment and I have not been sucessesfull on this site so far, send me your email address and I will send you one back with an attachment (hopefully).

Must stop rambling now and get to bed after I have tidied the workshop well looked in the door and said "sod that it can wait till I get home from work tomorrow (ahh later today).

I will post some dimensions re the gt6 once I know them.

All the best.
Spider

[Edited on 13/6/11 by spiderman]

[Edited on 13/6/11 by spiderman]

Spider

franky

posted on 13/6/11 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've got secret plans to fit a bmw 6 in one as my next project, the god thing is that once you have fitted one they all fit the same so replacement/upgrades will be cheap and easy

GT6 with an m3 lump/brakes/diff........

John Bonnett

posted on 13/6/11 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply Spider. I'd certainly be very interested in an pics and dimensions you take along the way. I'm twenty years further down the line from you and I also have never grown up and hope I never do. I know what you mean about Ebay, it really is dynamite!

Anyway, keep in touch, I'm always interested in other people's projects as well as gleaning information and help for mine.

Kind regards

John

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/6/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Currently building a zetec spitfire, having rolled the previous one. Not quite as easy as you may think, a bit of chassis tweeking, and a fair bit of bulkhead cut and remade.
I know of a na cossie in a gt6, uses a supra diff and custom shafts. There is also a guy doing seirra rear end convesions (guy known as jango) but he interesting one uses a subaru diff. It can be fitted with no chassis mods, just some adaptor plates/mounts. I believe KD triumph are working on a kit, but that may have stalled as I haven't heard anything for a while.

Pinto is the easiest ford engine to fit, but may not meet everybodies criteria. I also know of a spitfire with a R5 turbo lump. Light, turn the boost up and off you go. Went out in it a few weeks ago, but it was very wet so not he ideal time to really try it out.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/6/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
here are some links that may be of interest...
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl/Blah.pl%3Fb-autotest/m-1304350209/Blah.pl?m-1258933165/
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m102/tr1umphgt6/TSSC/ColinscossieGt1.jpg

John Bonnett

posted on 13/6/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you cliftyhanger for the reply and link to Triumph Torque. Some serious work going on there. Thank you too for the information on the Zetec installation. I was hoping that it would just slot in without any major mods. Nothing is that simple is it?

My car is one of the last MK3s and it appears to be completely original with the chassis and engine numbers matching the V5 so I really don't want to be the one to butcher it. I wouldn't mind an engine transplant providing it could be easily restored back to the original. All this is some way off yet. I'm stripping the shell at the moment prior to having it stripped to bare metal and then I'll be able to see how sound it is. The previous owner has done a lot of panel replacement work on the passenger side but the driver's side needs a lot of attention.

The car hasn't run since 1989 but the engine is free and turns with a spanner on the crank pully nut. Master cylinders are as expected seized as probably are the calipers but only to be expected. The car itself has turned out to be much better than I expected going from the photographs on the Pistonheads advert and this has spurred me on to doing something with it rather than just using it a buck for my aluminium bodied Spitfire GT project.

Before we go too far off thread and people start to object because it is not a Locost project I'll leave it there.

Thank you both for your replies which were really helpful.

John

spiderman

posted on 15/6/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
gt6

HI Pewe,
It must have stopped raining by now
I am hoping you will post some more details of your GT6 and I am waiting with anticipation.
Hope to hear of your plans soon.

All the best.
Spider.

Spider

scootz

posted on 16/6/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
PICS PICS PICS PICS PICS

It's Evolution Baby!

Mbal

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
gt6

Hi, I've sent you a UTU ref the GT6.

Regards, Mark
07835 659 323
Bracknell

John Bonnett

posted on 16/6/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Come on Pewe, you have our interest so now can we have some pictures.........please?

Here's mine, a bit still to do!!!!
[img] GT6
GT6
[/img]

[Edited on 16/6/11 by John Bonnett]

spiderman

posted on 18/6/11 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pewe,
I've sent another u2u for you.

All the best.

Spider

pewe

posted on 19/6/11 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
OK so it has stopped raining (just) so in between re-building the F27 and an early morning blat on the Lav. there are now pics in my archive.
Quite a lot of interest from peops on here so I think the fairest thing is for me to put it on eBay.
Should be up there tonight.
Having taken the cover off it probably needs a body-off resto. - a can of T-cut will not suffice - but for someone with the necessary skills and patience could be a nice tax-free motor.
When I looked into the cockpit today it reminded me how nice it is to drive - more an urge than a rush of speed/power but that's typical 6 cylinder.
Only it's wet weather road holding is questionable (not because of its swing axles as Triumph had this largely sorted on the Mk2s)
but because of that big lump of a six up-front.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers, Pewe.
PS F27 repair almost finished, just needs Matt at Procomp to set up the chassis then it's bonnet, rad and the other few hundred, fiddly/time-consuming bits that need doing.

PPS just gone on eBay for 7 days eBay listing

[Edited on 19/6/11 by pewe]

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/6/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Simple to sort the handling. Use a spitfire frontplate, move the engine back about 6 inches. Shorten the prop, a few tweeks and perfect 50/50 weight distribution
spiderman

posted on 19/6/11 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Simple to sort the handling. Use a spitfire frontplate, move the engine back about 6 inches. Shorten the prop, a few tweeks and perfect 50/50 weight distribution

Hi Cliftyhanger,
What do you mean when you say "spitfire frontplate"? Please excuse my ignorance.

Many thanks.

Spider

Mbal

posted on 20/6/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
gt6

Hi Pewe,

I contacted you earlier about buying the GT6 but instead you have put
it on ebay. Fair enough if you don't want a genuine buyer with money
close to you to buy it I guess but why put on the ebay ad 'may remove as
advertised elsewhere' if thats not the case?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.