Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PSU fan rattling
Ninehigh

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
PSU fan rattling

Missus's computer has had some psu problems, first off sometimes the fan wouldn't start running and now it's rattling like it's catching on something. I know I can get a whole replacement unit for £26 off fleabay but do you think it would be possible to just replace the fan? If not with an original inside maybe an extra unit running off another plug (cd drive plug)?

austin man

posted on 10/6/11 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
have you removed the side cover and given it a clean down. There should be no reason why it catches unless the case had been knocked/ damaged, the bearing has gone or the fan blades have moved off the spiggot shaft

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Davey D

posted on 10/6/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive replaced the 80mm fan in one of my PSU's. The power wires were soldered in on mine. easy job though. just make sure the capacitors on the board have discharged, as you could get a nasty zap from one if you catch it with a screwdriver
Ninehigh

posted on 10/6/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
How shall I discharge the capacitors? I could always pull all the plugs so the motherboard and drives aren't connected (if those are the boards you mean)

RazMan

posted on 10/6/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just leave it switched off but plugged into the mains for a while after you shut the 'puter down - but avoid touching anything on the circuit board if you can.

The fan bearings are usually the first things to go. You just need to get a similar airflow version but usually anything will do if you don't mind some extra noise. Tip - blast it out with an airgun before you start to dismantle it - these little buggers are like vacuum cleaners and there will be all manner of fluff & dust inside.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.