Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Tips or Advice for IVA??
Bumble

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Any Tips or Advice for IVA??

I have my IVA test next Wednesday....bricking it but looking forward to it at the same time!!

Any tips for the day would be welcomed and in particular my main concerns are emissions (1996 2L Zetec on TB's and MS), Noise and Self Centering (makes a small effort to self centre but nothing drastic) - bit of a grey area this!!

cheers,

Matt

rodgling

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
A small effort to self centre is probably enough. Toe out, high tyre pressure and loosening the rack if possible will all help.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Must admit, I'm not too sure about my noise levels for the test when it comes

I got one of those soundmeter phone apps, but I am not going to hold out much hope for the accuracy.

Good luck with the test

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

stevegough

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure your car doesn't overheat when running on test - there was recently one who's BEC did, blew a hose and they stopped the test - it was classed as a 'failure to test' and he ended up paying for another test in full. -Unusual event, yes but if it happens to you I'm sure it is pretty devastating?

Expect to be there over 4 hours.

Self - centering - there was a thread a couple of days ago with lots of info on this topic - My tester said that the car doesn't need to self - centre, but he expected it to "make an attempt at it".

Other than that, go and enjoy the day, and good luck!!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Bumble

posted on 15/6/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies......

Steve - I read with horro at the time the issues Locostbuyer83 had with his 1st test and the hose blowing off etc. Needless to say all hoses have been checked and double checked. Approx how long do they run the car for and do they put a fan in front of the car at all?
Also, any idea where the thread you refer to on self centreing is as I've done a search and can't find on eion the last week or so.
Cheers,
Matt

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Make sure your car doesn't overheat when running on test - there was recently one who's BEC did, blew a hose and they stopped the test - it was classed as a 'failure to test' and he ended up paying for another test in full. -Unusual event, yes but if it happens to you I'm sure it is pretty devastating?

Expect to be there over 4 hours.

Self - centering - there was a thread a couple of days ago with lots of info on this topic - My tester said that the car doesn't need to self - centre, but he expected it to "make an attempt at it".

Other than that, go and enjoy the day, and good luck!!

Dickyboy

posted on 15/6/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I think it depends on the test centre/tester. Martin at Nottingham put the header hose back for me and helped with some adjustments to get the noise below the limit, terrific bloke with a good attitude.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/6/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
When my car was SVA'd the tester told me to take the bonnet off to help with cooling.

Some people have fitted a radiator fan switch to pre-empt the thermostatic switch so that it can be turned on when needed, e.g. joining a traffic queue where the car's going to sit idling. It would be nice to turn the fan on before the tester does his stuff (but you may not want to muck around with the wiring this close to the test!)

Just a thought - I wonder if the tester would object if the driver disconnected the thermostatic switch wiring and shorted the leads, to make the fan run? Or would that be considered to be interfering with the normal state of the car? It would be very easy to make up a couple of inches of wire with a spade connector at each end...

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/6/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
No they don't provide a cooling fan.

Your car should be able to idle indefinitely without overheating with the bonnet on. Otherwise it isn't fit for modern roads.

The demanding bit of the test heat-wise is the speedo test on the rollers as the engine is reved whilst stationary. There was a problem with the rollers when my car took the test and this went on for ages, which had the inevitable consequences. The allowed me to top up and finish the test (good guys).

Underbonnet heat can be a problem as it increases which can mess up emissions if you car gets its air from that area.

Good luck, hope for a pass, but expect to fail and you won't be disappointed. First-time passes are pretty rare.

Matt

stevegough

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
velocity self centering

This is the thread I was referring to.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.