Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best value for money Bike engine
gaz_gaz

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
best value for money Bike engine

Evening everyone.

i have a MNR with 5jj carbed r1 motor, only really use the car for trackdays and the occasional Sunday outing,
wouldnt mind having a go at some sprints in the future possibly,

anyway, as much fun as the car is i just can't get past the lack of power it has.

last week at Brands Hatch i was really struggling to pull a gap on a Clio 182 down the straight, i found myself catching up to most other cars on the corners but kept getting creamed down the straights and it got abit dull.

So i'm thinkin about an engine swap, i want to stay bike engine as i like the gearbox and the high revs,

so i was wondering what bike engine provides the biggest bang for your buck?

i was thinking something along the lines of a zzr1400 maybe?

anyone care to offer some advice ?

thanks

Guinness

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Stick a supercharger / turbo on the engine you've got?

Saves a lot of re-wiring / engine cradle alterations?

afj

posted on 16/6/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
The clios are quite fast on track lots of power and low weight. Turbo the r1 or swap to a busa or zzr1400 if i was building again i would go honda s2000

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

gaz_gaz

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
is it possible to turbo/supercharge with carbs? that would definatly be an option,
Steve Hignett

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
It is better to turbocharge with carbs...
Steve Hignett

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.turbo-bike.net/

Have a read of this and then feel free to ask questions on here. (start a new thread if you go down this route)

You may end up with a few answers from people that just want to "take-part" but there are also a few people that know what they're talking about...

[Edited on 16/6/11 by Steve Hignett]

tilly819

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
^^
i have to disagree its far easier to supercharge with carbs as you just fit larger jets, if u turbo you can either jet it for on boost in which case it will idle very rich or jet it for off boost in which case it will run lean at the top

tilly

Steve Hignett

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tilly819
^^
i have to disagree its far easier to supercharge with carbs as you just fit larger jets, if u turbo you can either jet it for on boost in which case it will idle very rich or jet it for off boost in which case it will run lean at the top

tilly

You misunderstood... I wasn't saying that it was easier than S/C - I was saying that if you are going to turbo it, then it's easier with carbs than injection!!!!

tilly819

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
ahh sorry i did indeed misunderstand you, though out of interest why do you say it is easier with carbs than injection, setting up a set of carbs for turbo boost is a nightmare when with injection its just a case of a power commander and a new map admittedly more expensive but much easier IMO

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

locoR1

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
As Steve says with carbs it quite easy to do, the link Steve has posted is where i got most of the info to do mine.

Turboed my 4xv about 3 years ago best thing i have ever done to the car apart from going bec in the first place
it made 257bhp on the dyno running just under 12psi

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

tilly819

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
ah i see

very good link

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

StevieB

posted on 16/6/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
What ratio diff are you running? That could make a big difference for a relatively low outlay.

Other things to consider would be a jet and needle set and a sausage filter if not already fitted (and a proper set up on a rolling road).

tomgregory2000

posted on 16/6/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo it, you know you want to
gaz_gaz

posted on 16/6/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
ah your the chap with the sr20 i was chatting to at Stonleleigh,

i'm tempted by the turbo option,

the diff is a 3.62 and the car has been dyno jetted, perhaps i am expecting too much from it?

tomgregory2000

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the one

I think you are expecting a little too much, what you need is a bit more torque to be able to push the brick shape of a 7 through the air.

With mine at 120mph you put your foot down and you just start going faster Not so much fun in the wet (gets a little scary)

Go on turbo it over the winter, that gives you the summer to get the bit for it together.

gaz_gaz

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
As Steve says with carbs it quite easy to do, the link Steve has posted is where i got most of the info to do mine.

Turboed my 4xv about 3 years ago best thing i have ever done to the car apart from going bec in the first place
it made 257bhp on the dyno running just under 12psi

do you mind if i ask which turbo you used?

and did you buy a kit or just collect the parts yourself?

what was the torque figure on the dyno ?

gaz_gaz

posted on 16/6/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
http://www.turbo-bike.net/

Have a read of this and then feel free to ask questions on here. (start a new thread if you go down this route)

You may end up with a few answers from people that just want to "take-part" but there are also a few people that know what they're talking about...

[Edited on 16/6/11 by Steve Hignett]

your a bad man showing me that link.

looks like turboing will be the easiest and cheapest option aswell as giving the most gains,

hiflow

posted on 17/6/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I was in same position as you, but i have a CBR900 N spec engine. In the end i went for ZZR1100 over some the the newer engines, purely because i felt it was bomb proof. 2.8k for a low mileage Busa is way out of my budget, ZX12-r are great engines, but dont have the strongest of boxes, but can be tuned very cheaply to 190bhp-200bhp. I was going to S/c the ZZr and as reliable as it is, even with forged internals i feel the box would would not take the punishment. I was told by a bike engine builder, expect to strip and rebuild the bottom end every 3k , if you turbo it ! My mates got a ZX14 in is locost and he loves it. he did say that on a track day a lad was running a locost with a R1 on a rotrex charger and after 3 FLYING laps, he had to come in & let the oil temp cool from 120oc !

at the very least your going to need Forged pistons+ rods + forged exhaust valves. My own preference would be aftermarket ECU , blowing through Throttle bodies and it would be easier to setup and give better bhp over a carb setup.

Andy

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/6/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
did he have proper cooling mods on that car with rotrex charger as thats just silly and abit pointless,

we had a little trouble with the S2000 turbo getting hot but a larger oil cooler sorted the oil temps out perfectly,

i wouldnt be running much boost so with slightly lower compression and keeping it nice and rich on the afrs should keep it all cool enough to not melt pistons i'd think.

i think i'm going to have a bash at it, 4xv and 5jj engines are cheap as chips to replace anyway.

Nick DV

posted on 17/6/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
ah your the chap with the sr20 i was chatting to at Stonleleigh,

i'm tempted by the turbo option,

the diff is a 3.62 and the car has been dyno jetted, perhaps i am expecting too much from it?

You need to change the diff to at least a 3:36 or if you can get one a 3:14

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/6/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
i'm probably wrong about this as i am with most things but that would give me a higher top speed and slower acceleration?
JoelP

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i'm probably wrong about this as i am with most things but that would give me a higher top speed and slower acceleration?

basically yes, but also fewer gear changes. I wouldnt personally suggest changing the diff unless you specifically want to.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Nick DV

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In theory it would. In practice you won't notice that much on the acceleration where you use it, but you were saying you were running out of top end and this will give yo more. Of course, add a turbo and diff and you get the best of everything!

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

JoelP

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
OP doesnt say if the problem on the straight was running out of revs at the end, or whether he simply didnt have enough acceleration/grunt between say 80 and 120mph.

If you were just to change the diff to suit the circuit, then you simply adjust it so that it approaches max revs on the fastest straight, which might well require a 3.36. However, if the car isnt pulling well enough down the straight, the last thing he needs is a longer diff which would lower the revs.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/6/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
yep as Joel says.

i'm running out of straight before i run out of revs so would like abit more grunt for that reason,
maybe with more power i'll be running out of revs then i'll look at the diff but i'll need to wait and see.

[Edited on 17/6/11 by gaz_gaz]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.