Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone in the know about vinyl wrap?
sdh2903

posted on 17/6/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone in the know about vinyl wrap?

I'm about to embark on vinyl wrapping my car. The vinyl I will be using is graficast cast vinyl. Now the question I have is the suppliers also supply this vinyl with an optional laminate (which I guess is just a clear layer)

The laminate more than doubles the cost and basically I'm wondering if its necessary or will the normal vinyl suffice?

cheers
Steve

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/6/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
it depends. on things like rear arches I can see single vinyl getting damaged from stone chips.

Its pretty thin stuff.

I had it on a bike with no problems, with no clear cover over it. So I can see it being fine on the majority of the car - just consider the rear arches carefully.

I think they say it last 5 years...probably more on a kit that is in a dark garage/ not in daily use.

Vinyl wont last forever though.

sdh2903

posted on 17/6/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
The vinyl is only going to be used on the main tub of the car the aches are staying as gelcoat with the obligatory guards. The supposed life of the vinyl is 7 years.

The rate I change my mind I envisage a colour change every winter anyway

My other concern is around the exhaust area, max working temp of the vinyl is quoted as 115 oC, how much of a gap is suggested around the manifold?

Worzey

posted on 17/6/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Are you applying the wrap yourself or getting it applied elsewhere?

I've been thinking of getting my car wrapped as I fancy a change of colour. What sort of price should I expect to have the whole car done professionally?

Finally, do you need to inform DVLA of the colour change? I assume you do but as its a non-permanent application am I correct?

Caterham R400

woolly

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Now the question I have is the suppliers also supply this vinyl with an optional laminate

it makes it easier to handle adds a protection layer and helps prevent discolouration when stretched in to deep areas. the laminate can only be applied by a large format laminator.
if you are only doing flat areas this material is a over kill. a high end polymeric 5-7 year will do very well.

sdh2903

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I will be doin it myself. i did have to get my scuttle done professionally as its curved all over the place. it was a local sign place who did it for me they charged 60 quid including material. No idea how much a full wrap would cost.

Ive had a couple of practice runs and its pretty straight forward if you take your time.

Dangle_kt

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
vinyl wrap is technically only temporary, so you don't have to inform DVLA.

I probably would though to be honest...

rodgling

posted on 17/6/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few bits of my di-noc wrap unpeel and rest against the exhaust primaries. No significant damage done - obviously they melted and discoloured where they touched, but even 2mm away it was fine, surprisingly. With a 5-10 mm gap it shouldn't be an issue in the slightest, I would think.
ceebmoj

posted on 17/6/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I Have a Marcos Mantula That I have been thinking of wrapping. However the front end is one large peace that is two big for a single peace of wrap to cover. Does any one have a guyed to wrap application with joints?
flibble

posted on 17/6/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
There was a vid on YouTube of someone joining vinyl and it was pretty much invisible, of course you could always do the left and right half seperatly and use a racing stripe to hide it
Irony

posted on 18/6/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have wrapped a few cars with my job. If your just wrapping a solid colour then the overlaminate is a bit of a waste of time. Also as pointed out above you need a wide format laminator to apply it to the vinyl before it goes on the car.

I would look at the HEXIS website. They do great car vinyls and also do a training course for a couple of hundred quid. You could go on the training course, buy the vinyl and wrap it. You still have change over a respray!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.