Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My 35mm cameras
David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
My 35mm cameras

Sigh...

I've been doing some 'de-cluttering' and have found my old 35mm cameras - a Minox 35GL and an Olympus IS-1. Both were quite expensive cameras in their time, but the few that are on ebay for peanuts aren't even attracting any bids.

I fully understand why - even I wouldn't buy them now as my digital cameras are so much more usable - but it is depressing to see good kit going down the pan. I just can't bring myself to chuck them... it seems sinful, especially the Olympus 'cos that was a top-line piece of kit in its time. Mind you, I found it 'king heavy to lug around on holidays...

Anyone else in the same situation?

AndyW

posted on 18/6/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had as IS-1, fantastic bit of kit, spare lenses, telephoto, filters etc. Probably sitting in its case in the loft of my parents house. As you say, real shame to get rid of......
r1_pete

posted on 18/6/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, I gave an Olympus OM1 away to a mates son who fancied doing some 'real' photography, its cost my mate a fortune in film and processing, but it is getting used, the kid is even trying to get into processing....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 18/6/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. I have an OM2SP with all the kit just in a box somewhere. It's as old and as much use as a flint axe in technological terms.

woolly

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
As you say its a shame in a way. I put a film through my Nixon f5 last month. It reminded me of why i bought it. When digital was even dearer.
AdrianH

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Two Pentax ME Supers with lenes.

Bronica medium format 645 ETRS camera with lenses. I tend to still try Black and white through them every now and then.

May be collectors pieces one day!

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Confused but excited.

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I found a gadget bag in my eldest's garage last week, all dusty and covered in crud. When I got it from under his bech and opened it......an almost new Pentax Cost him a fortune a couple of years ago, now it's not worth a carrot.
That's progress for you.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

David Jenkins

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I just wish I had a 1930's Leica rangefinder camera sitting in my drawer... have you seen the prices they make!

[Edited on 18/6/11 by David Jenkins]

skodaman

posted on 18/6/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nikon FM2 35mm and Mamiya 645 don't use either much anymore but they're so much better
made than this new fangled digital stuff.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 18/6/11 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Give it a few years until it's all retro and cool again

snapper

posted on 19/6/11 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
At least 35 cameras in my collection, Linhof 5"x4" & 6cm x 7cm loads of Kodaks, Voiklander and many other old school stuff, brakes my heart that it's so much cost and effort to use, the quality of a 5x4 transparency has to be seen to be believed. The loss of skills needed to use camera lens & film plane movements on a technical baseboard camera is to be lamented.
Wiki Scheimpflug if you are as anal as me.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/6/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
In true LCB style, perhaps you could build an "electronic film" solution.
Ideally you would not have to change anything on the camera, so battery and CPU would live in the space originally used by the film (just like film). No way of looking at photos once taken (just like film). The CCD could integrate over the whole exposure time so that is easy.

It would function exactly as the old film version did. No new fangled tricks. When you want to get at the images then you open the back and plug in a USB connector so all the cost benefits of digital.

I like the idea of having this backwardly compatible (i.e. don't need to modify camera). Problems:
You would have to find someway to put the CCD into "acquire" mode, to avoid supershort battery life.
I don't think that you can get CCD thin enough so the back of the camera might need changing (otherwise the focal plane is all wrong).

Atmel AT71200M Color CCD is 8M pixels and 35mm format, and there are loads of small and powerful AVR/PIC computers easily available.

I am surprised there isn't a product out there already, but I can't find it, probably too expensive ( a perfect LCB mission ).

Matt

designer

posted on 19/6/11 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I sold my Dad's old 35mm gear last year; got peanuts for it.
David Jenkins

posted on 19/6/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Ideally you would not have to change anything on the camera, so battery and CPU would live in the space originally used by the film (just like film). No way of looking at photos once taken (just like film). The CCD could integrate over the whole exposure time so that is easy.

You mean, like this one?

Unfortunately, it's only an April Fool's joke that won't die...

[Edited on 19/6/11 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 20/6/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr

funnily enough I was going to say something similar.

there was a prodict a while ago - a replaceable back, think it was for top range Nikons - it would replace the pressure pad for the film and back to convert to digital but that was model specific.

With todays technology and miniaturisation, it would not be too had to have the memory card and electronic sat i nte space for the filma canister - mounting the sensor would be someting that would need the pressure pad replaced.

(and I have Yashica FXD - the poor man's Contax).

[Edited on 20/6/11 by 02GF74]

mcerd1

posted on 20/6/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yup, I gave an Olympus OM1 away to a mates son who fancied doing some 'real' photography, its cost my mate a fortune in film and processing, but it is getting used, the kid is even trying to get into processing....

good luck to him, some of the best photo's are taken (by very talented/lucky people) with old film cameras

plenty of arty types still use box brownies as a first choice!

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.