Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need more turning circle + suspension bottoms out
hubby

posted on 30/6/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Need more turning circle + suspension bottoms out

i got 2 questions for you experts as im thick as 2 planks and new to kit cars.
Q1 ive got a vindicator which i didn't build i believe it has sierra front suspension and steering the problem is it has a wide bonnet as its capable of taking v8's with out a problem now that leaves me with a absolutly crappy turning circle half the time i have to drive it like im driving a artic, having to take the corners wide otherwise im into the curb AS as its cault me out a few times. with full lock on the cycle wings hit the bonnet/bonnet wheel arches so if i was to make the up new suspension arms say 25-50mm wider each side that should give me a wider front track and there for more turning circle. what do i do with the steering rack as it would be 25-50mm shorter each side is there longer track rod ends or would this make it unsafe etc YOUR ADVICE PLEASE
Q2 rear suspension is again sierra but i find it bottoms out (that's the suspension and not the car on the road)with a back breaking thump that goes right through you and chassis and this happens with very little effort even when there's only me driving now could this be very tired springs, tired shocks as when you driving normally it fine no wallowing or any thing of that nature. the car i would say sits where it should hight wise

ashg

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
use these to extend the rack.

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1375_1594_1813&products_id=11843

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

hubby

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for that one ash, any idea about the suspension?
flibble

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea what poundage the rear springs are? Maybe need some stiffer ones.
JoelP

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
a photo would help! It sounds like it doenst have enough travel up, or maybe the rideheight is a little low (i know you say it looks ok).

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Problem is, if you widen the front you'll have to widen the back. This could potentially cause you loads more issues/expense if your unlucky

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

blakep82

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
if its just the bonnet thats wider, a new bonnet would be an easier and less expensive change i'd say, although i don't know much about vindicators, but if bodywork can be changed, i'd look at that first.
as said, changing the front track will mean you'll need to widen the back too, possibly new longer brake hoses, new wider rear wings, rack extentions, wish bones, and shocks will probably need to be longer, so you'd need new ones too

as for the rack itself, it'l most likely have lock limiting rings inside, easily removed (they sit inside the gators)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
changing the front track will mean you'll need to widen the back too,

Why? Nothing states front and rear must have equal track.

blakep82

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, thats true, but it will look a bit odd at a total of 100mm wider at the front i think. i would certainly want it looking equal all round. might not be noticable. it was ben that said it anyway

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

hubby

posted on 30/6/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
not sure untill i measure it but i think the back is at least 50mm wider by looking at. i got the car in march with a new mot it had plastic stopper in the rack so i took it out (about 25mm long) as it had to have them for the mot as the wheels were fouling the body. as it stands on full lock the cycle wing and tyre hit the body and as the suspension goes up it hits the built in wheel arch of the bonnet and taken a notch out of it of about 15mm. the cycle wings are sitting as tight as possible in all directions to the tyre. as i didn't build it and its 15 years old now its a guessing game as to what's on it. i suppose ill try some spring adjusters first and see if that helps first as i have them lying around the garage.
any idea how i could find out the poundage of the springs?
any idea's on wheel spacers with longer studs as that seems to be an easier way off extending the wheels out as it got 18mm extenders on the back wheels already. where would i get the extended studs and is it a bitch to get the old ones out?
thanks to every one for their inputs

RichardK

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be that the damping isnt happening and so its bouncing on the springs?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 30/6/11 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it's been put together correctly surely none of that should not happen?

I would guess the wheels hitting on full lock might be because of an incorrect wheel offset I would look here first to see what wheels it was designed for. PPC had a table of offsets for different cars that might help...

Cheers

Dan

hubby

posted on 1/7/11 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Could it be that the damping isnt happening and so its bouncing on the springs?

Cheers

Rich

that was one of the first things that i thought but if that was the case i would expect it to be all wallowing on the motorway doing 80mph but it drives as you would expect it to ive been in tintops with knackerd shocks and its like being on a boat when the sea's a bit rough. with 2 adualts in it going over a speed hump at over 5mph the suspension bottoms out so when on a run in the lanes and you hit a dip in the road thats just a little deeper than normal it bottoms out aswell. im just suprised that no one in the past has sorted it out

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.