Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: quitening my exhaust ??
steve m

posted on 3/7/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quitening my exhaust ??

My exhaust is still too noisey. even after repacking the silencer with brand new packing
What are my options now ?

I do not want to replace the silencer, unless i HAVE to !

i was thinking more along the line of sticking wire wool up the chuffy bit, and sticking a large penny washer drilled with several holes up the tube and locking that in

would this do anything ?

My neighbours would be very appreciative !

Steve

Chippy

posted on 3/7/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sure what you say would definately make it quite, also make it totaly gutless. Bite the bullet mate and get a better silencer. Not much help but thats my thoughts. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/7/11 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming this is for a car already on the road, then I'm afraid you should go for a new silencer...

There are obvious people to look at:

CBS
Martin Keenan
And the guy on here - (I apologise profusely, but I always get confused between TrevD and Paul 907) but it's whichever went on his own recently and is making very good exhaust components...

wilkingj

posted on 3/7/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Has this car passed an IVA or a SVA? If so, and as long a you have not changed it, it should still be road legal.

Beg Borrow, but preferably not steal, a Sound meter and measure the audio output (as per the IVA / SVA rules). If its in spec, why do anything at all?

If its above the legal limit, then its time to do something about it, bite the bullet and get a decent silencer that is within in the limits for road use.

If your car is road legal, then there is not much your neighbours can do about it. Obviously driving up the road at 1am on full throttle in 1st gear would not be the best of actions on your part!

In the end, it depends on whether your car is above the limit set at IVA / SVA.

Just my 2d's worth.

Oh... 907 is the man for a nice silencer. (TrevD is the body expert)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 3/7/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
my car has been on the road 12 years and pre sva/iva and has always been loud
but to be honest its pissing me off now!

with the new repack done about a month ago its now louder than i can ever remember, and i had the silencer off today, and all the packing is well and truly packed inside

steve

shaun fulcrum

posted on 4/7/11 at 04:19 AM Reply With Quote
Have you packed the silencer tight or loosely?

Tight will have little effect on noise reduction and loose is quite shockingly effective. 6db for my car!!! Went 107db to 101 for sva.

RazMan

posted on 4/7/11 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Also, what did you pack it with - Rockwool, wire wool or fibreglass won't last long and it will end up very loud. I packed mine with Acoustafil - a bit more expensive and hi-tec but it made quite a dramatic drop in noise levels.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Scott W

posted on 4/7/11 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
As above, I used the Acoustafil to repack my exhaust last week as it was too loud for a trackday. We were reading 107-108db on a calibrated DB meter before we did the repack. Once we'd emptied the fibreglass filling out and filled it with the Acoustafil we're now showing 102-103db.
dave r

posted on 4/7/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
what they said

good stuff, once it has warmed up and expanded

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

steve m

posted on 4/7/11 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used Acoustafil , and it is tight, purely the nature of my silencer, its a real PITA to get it in!

if i was to remove some, are you saying tht it could reduce my db's ?

steve

dave r

posted on 4/7/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
did you use the online calculator to work out how much you needed ?cl ick me

calculator half way down that page

[Edited on 4/7/11 by dave r]

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

ashg

posted on 4/7/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
i got a 6inch can off of paul (907 on here) cost nearly £200 but it halved the volume of my exhaust its now around the 85db.

oh and it looks the muts nuts and is the best made exhaust can i have seen to date.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RazMan

posted on 4/7/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I used Acoustafil , and it is tight, purely the nature of my silencer, its a real PITA to get it in!

if i was to remove some, are you saying tht it could reduce my db's ?

steve

Quite likely IMO - I was experimenting with the stuff a couple of years back and a 'loose' fill was a fair bit quieter than a 'rammed' fill. The only problem is that if you have already brought it up to working temps then it will have expanded and may be a real biatch to remove.

*edit* Paul's silencers are works of art and well worth the dosh

[Edited on 4-7-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.