Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Riding a Tour stage - Teenage Cancer Trust - My Unabashed Begging...
TimEllershaw

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Riding a Tour stage - Teenage Cancer Trust - My Unabashed Begging...

Dear All,

There seem to have been a number of “Please Sponsor me” messages recently, so I have mixed feelings about asking you all to put your hands in your pockets again. However, I feel that the Teenage Cancer Trust is a charity that deserves your attention. I hope you can find a little spare to donate to them.

On Monday 11th July I will be riding the “Etape Du Tour”.

If you have not heard of it before, just think "cycling equivalent of the London Marathon": 10,000 people, stupid amounts of training and 30% of people will fail. The stage I'm riding is over the high mountain passes of the Col du Telegraphe ( 1,566m high), over the Col du Galibier ( 2,556 m) and then up the famous 21 hairpins up to Alpe D' Huez ( 1850m ). The pro’s ride it 11 days later as stage 19 of the Tour de France, it will take them about 3 hours. I will take double that. Just to put it into perspective, the smallest of these climbs is higher than Ben Nevis. This is going to hurt !

Etape Profile:

As you may know, I ride for Hinckley Cycle Racing Club. Don't be fooled into thinking this is going to help! Each Tuesday I race a 10 mile time-trial course. It is pretty much flat, except for a small lump in the middle, and I have problems getting over that. I think it is safe to say that hills are not my strong point. Finishing this is going to be a huge task for me. In preparation I have been training as hard as I can, and as a result I have lost about 2 stone in weight. This is nothing compared to what Angus is going through :

Our life has had its ups and downs over the last couple of years, with loved ones suffering with Cancer, Strokes, Heart problems and Leukaemia. All have had an affect on me and those around me, so picking a charity was a difficult decision. In the end, we decided that while seeing adults struggling was upsetting, it was the thought of children falling to Cancer that upset us most. While I’m lucky enough to have 2 great, healthy children, others are not so lucky. Angus is a family friend. He’s at the age where he should be going out with his mates, playing rugby, causing trouble, sneaking into pubs and planning his next night out. Instead, he is going for Chemo and is confined to a wheelchair as his bones are no longer strong enough to support his weight. He should be enjoying his childhood. Instead he has grown up fast in the face of this disease. Simply not fair.

The Teenage Cancer Trust has helped him along the way. They look after teenagers who fall into that gap between being treated as children and being adults. They are too old for Thomas the Tank Engine videos, and too young to be stuck with a room full of OAPs. Young people treated in a TCT ward have much better survival rates. They have helped Angus cope with thoughts of his future and have helped his Mum, Dad, Sister and extended family all cope with what is happening and what is likely to happen next. They deserve every penny that you can spare.

Thank you for your support.

Tim.

You can donate online at either :

Just Giving web site...

or

Teenage Cancer Trust Web Site...

or by phone:

Text “ETAP55” followed by an amount, to 70070
All of the money will go to the charity.
The donation will be taken from your mobile phone bill.
Eg:
ETAP55
£10

Or go “Old Skool” and press a grubby fiver into my hand next time we meet

Thanks again.

Tim.

Galibier
Galibier

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 4/7/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I was 6 years past being teenage when I had Lymphoma linky , but Its still crap at that age. Donated by text mate, best of luck.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

daviep

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
It takes a lot to get a £10 out of a fifer's wallet, however having ridden over the Col du Telegraphe and the Col du Galibier two weeks ago I can appreciate the effort involved. £10 sent by text

Remember if you don't get a picture it didn't really happen
galibier
galibier

Best of luck
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

cadebytiger

posted on 4/7/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Amazing!

we went skiing in Alpe D'huez and how anyone could cycle up that road is beyond me!!

Good Luck ! donation on its way!

sent by TXT

[Edited on 4/7/11 by cadebytiger]

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/7/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
+1

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Wadders

posted on 4/7/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
As a recent convert to road cycling, I can appreciate how much its going to hurt........£10 donated by txt
Good luck!

TimEllershaw

posted on 4/7/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger
Amazing!

we went skiing in Alpe D'huez and how anyone could cycle up that road is beyond me!!

I know what you mean. We skied there this year. I was quite looking forward to the coach trip up to the resort, ( a bit of a pre-race reccy, ) but by the time we got to the top I was white as a sheet, couldn't speak and couldn't look out of the window.

Thanks you all for your donations

Cheers

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 4/7/11 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like my usual ride around Mill Hill.

Just sponsored you - good luck!

Stu

[Edited on 4/7/11 by whitestu]

Chaddy

posted on 4/7/11 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck mate the ride will be awsome, I did the col de la Madeleine, Col du Telegraphe and then Col du Galibier in one day as part of a week long tour of the Alps, did the Alp and Lautaret next day and finished off on the last day with Mont Ventoux. The Galibier in my opinion (and I have climbed 30 odd cols) is the toughest I have climbed (I haven't done the Bonnet), take your time and enjoy the views, it is downhill from the top of the Galibier to the foot of the Alp, watch out in the tunnel!!

Cheers Dave

daviep

posted on 25/8/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
So how did it go?

I'm scottish for a tenner I was expecting at least radio coverage of the event plus some kind of certificate and photograph like you get when you sponsor a panda

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.