Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are 7J Rears enough for 240hp?
SeanStone

posted on 6/7/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Are 7J Rears enough for 240hp?

As the title reads, would 7j's be sufficient for putting the power down, or would 7.5/8's be better?
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 6/7/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
the racers use 9" I believe gives better traction





Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 6/7/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I heard 10j was essential for anything over 100bhp....
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 7/7/11 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
As the title reads, would 7j's be sufficient for putting the power down, or would 7.5/8's be better?


I use 7j with 320bhp and have no traction issues at all.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 7/7/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Depends entirely on your choice of tyres, ALWAYS start with tyres and work back





My Build Thread

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
franky

posted on 7/7/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add, I use toyo r1r's in 225 on the back. Same compound as r888's but with added wet weather treatment and they're cheaper than r888's too.

I don't know why you'd need wider to be honest.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
9j on mine with 275 kumho v70 in med compound and 321bhp and loads of torque (remember its the torque you have to worry about)

and once upto tep they are good, cold they spin up

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
"I use 7j with 320bhp and have no traction issues at all"

There is either something major wrong with your right foot or you've never driven it in the cold & damp!!!





Furore Formula Car - the only two seater modern Formula Car lookalike. I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   russbost 's Aim
franky

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
"I use 7j with 320bhp and have no traction issues at all"

There is either something major wrong with your right foot or you've never driven it in the cold & damp!!!


Quite the opposite, we did some performance testing yesterday on a damp road inbetween downpours, Did some 0-60 timings which came in at 3.6seconds, Looking at the rubber left on the road it was only for about 3meters each time. I guess having a linear N/A helps, the engine makes very good torque but it doesn't come in the same way a turbo does.

If the OP is running a s2000 engine with 240bhp I can't see why he'd need wider? The S2000 engine is great as its a revvy motor too.

I guess traction is in setup too however I think most praise should go to the rubber.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 7/7/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Franky,
What rear suspension do you have?

Cheers
David

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 7/7/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Out of interest is that using the traction/launch control or purely on the right foot?

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
"I use 7j with 320bhp and have no traction issues at all"

There is either something major wrong with your right foot or you've never driven it in the cold & damp!!!


Quite the opposite, we did some performance testing yesterday on a damp road inbetween downpours, Did some 0-60 timings which came in at 3.6seconds, Looking at the rubber left on the road it was only for about 3meters each time. I guess having a linear N/A helps, the engine makes very good torque but it doesn't come in the same way a turbo does.

If the OP is running a s2000 engine with 240bhp I can't see why he'd need wider? The S2000 engine is great as its a revvy motor too.

I guess traction is in setup too however I think most praise should go to the rubber.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 7/7/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just my right foot, the Traction/launch control has a software bug that causes the car to misfire if connected, something to do with the data cable going to it, hoping to get it sorted in the next few weeks.

Rear is adjustable GAZ shocks, bmw LSD+driveshafts.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 7/7/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
franky,
Thanks but what I was interested in, is it semi trailing arms, irs, de dion

Cheers
David

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 7/7/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
franky,
Thanks but what I was interested in, is it semi trailing arms, irs, de dion

Cheers
David


Oh sorry, its IRS.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 7/7/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
franky,
Thanks but what I was interested in, is it semi trailing arms, irs, de dion

Cheers
David


Oh sorry, its IRS.


Thanks Franky

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 7/7/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have 195/50/15 toyo 888 on the rears 7j rims with nissan 200sx turbo engine running between 215-250 bhp with the mods thats on at the mo
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 7/7/11 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
8Js and 230bhp - no problems with grip except on very wet days.





Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   RazMan 's Aim   RazMan 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger   RazMan 's Yahoo

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.