Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike chain odd problem
sonic

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bike chain odd problem

Hello all you wise people who may be able to help me.

I have a Suzuki GSXR 600 and there is something very odd with the chain.

If you measure the slack in the chain and then roll the bike forward it goes tight, ( no seized links checked)

Both sprockets and chain have done around 500 miles and in good condition.

removed the chain checked the sprockets are not bent and refitted,rotated the front and no adverse movement, same at the back.

Refitted the chain, same problem, the only thing I can see is if you look down the length of the chain from the back wheel and rotate it, it looks slightly bent as it goes around.

Any ideas!

Wheels244

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Check the sprockets are in line ( long straight edge or laser ).
Have the spacers for the back wheel been put in the right order/place ?
Is the back wheel in straight according to the adjustment marks ?

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.

Antnicuk

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
all of my bikes have had tight and lose spots in the chain, i cant remember why it does it, i was told once

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Triton

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
sprockets are not in line

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 7/7/11 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
The sprockets are slightly eccentric on the shafts so as they turn you will get slack and tight spots, this is quite normal. When adjusting you should spin the wheel through several revolutions to try to find the tightest and slackest points and make sure that both positions are within the tolerances given in the manual. When you can no longer manage this it is time to replace the sprockets.

Duncan

sonic

posted on 7/7/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guy's

I have checked the rear wheel against the markers and measured with a steel rule to make sure it is straight.

What is odd is if you look at the teeth in the rear sprocket as they engage with the chain you can see daylight between the tooth and the inner wall of the link, if you rotate the wheel it disapears as if the sprocket is buckled, it not as I have taken it off and put it on a flat surface and not gaps, thus why I think the chain is bent

wylliezx9r

posted on 7/7/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
If the chain is severely bent, I would change it,especially on a bike. If it gets any worse it could cause the back wheel or front sprocket to lock up, or even the chain to snap. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Peteff

posted on 7/7/11 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
What are the sprocket teeth like? They wear and get sharp points and eventually turn into hooks if you let them get bad. Are the tensioners equal?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.