Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Merc SLK - good? bad?
02GF74

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Merc SLK - good? bad?

Apart from the hairdresser jibes, anyone had the Merc SLK 3.2, 2002 year or thereabouts?

Seem to be quite cheap, even when compared to MX5 of that era , ok there may be 500 to 1 k difference in price but both models are coming in around the 5 k range.

Oh and if you are tall, 6 ft 1 - 6 ft 2 range, could you fit in and be comfortable.

An example being one like this.

HowardB

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
met one in a car park once and it could not go anywhere as there was a light covering of snow, and the traction control was in CONTROL.

Seem well liked by those that have them,.... not my cup of tea as I can't get on with the Merc parking brake.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

gingerprince

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine had one. Had a lot of expense with wiring, dealer replacing bits that didnt fix the problem added up to some hefty bills. I'm 6'4 and headroom in the passenger seat was minimal but driver seat may adjust more?

Worst thing though was when I was trying to teach him to donut - the engine won't rev past about 4k when not under load so you can't launch it!

For my money it'd be s2000 or mx5

afj

posted on 9/7/11 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
We dont pick them up broken down so they must be ok for reliability its the e-class' that are a bit rubbish the slk is the same as a chrysler crossfire which would be cheaper for the money as abouve honda s2000 would get my vote

[Edited on 9/7/11 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RazMan

posted on 9/7/11 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
SWMBO has always promised herself one when she retires later this year. They must be a bit juicy with a 3.2 under the bonnet but otherwise they seem to have a good rep.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 9/7/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
A few are starting to appear at auction these days I haven't taken much notice of what they are going for, but I suspect they aren't that popular with the auction crowd because of the potential repair cost for electrical niggles.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hootsno1

posted on 9/7/11 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
All i know is that there are 17 motors to open the roof and that it only takes 1 to go wrong and its a big bill.
S2000 is the one
[img]
[/img]

[Edited on 9/7/11 by hootsno1]

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.