Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know about PDQ (credit card) machines?
ChrisW

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know about PDQ (credit card) machines?

I need a method of charging credit/debit cards for a new business venture I'm working on. It needs to be done when I'm out and about, so some method of connecting via mobile is required. The customer will be with me and have the card there so for security I want to do the whole 'chip and pin' thing.

I've done merchant services stuff before but only on 'cardholder not present' stuff - ie taking payments through a website - so actually having a real card to charge is a new concept to me.

My business account is with Barclays, but it seems they want me to pay a load of money to them to rent the machine. However, there are a few units on eBay cheap...

eBay Item

Is there anything to stop me using my own device such as that one? Presumably I just have to reconfigure it with my merchant account number or something like that? How do I make sure it's talking to the correct bank?

The other thing I've noticed is that there are plug in chip and pin readers/keypads that say they have a USB interface. Does that mean I could get some software for my laptop and just plug the unit in to that and have it authorise via 3G Internet connection?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rallyingden

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Is "THE SHOP" going mobile
mookaloid

posted on 11/7/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would say shop around Chris. You don't have to have the machine from the same people that you bank with.

Whether they would support a machine that they hadn't supplied is very debatable but no harm in asking them.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

steve m

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

We pay our crew, allowances, through email, and this is done via Travelex,

Im not to sure exactley what you are trying to achive, but possibly contacting Travelex ?
I suppose paypal is similar

Steve

Tim 45

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you have an iPhone/iPod touch there are applications which can do it. I personally havent used any of them, but i have been to a couple of restaurants that use them.

You can get 2 types, some use an accessory card reader, included free with certain companies (these plug directly into the phone), and others rely on an input of card details to process the transaction.

westf27

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

My business banking is through HSBC and I use their merchant services for electronic card processing.Being a mobile engineer
I also needed to make sure that where ever I was I could get a good cellular signal as the terminal is GPRS.The setup cost was pricey three years ago but that has changed now as the replacement market opportunities and buying new accounts is kicking in.My terminal has a multi ranging sim with vodaphone,orange and O2.The terminal costs about £24 and the sim about three pounds per month.My current processing charges are 25p debit,2% credit cards.But as always these charges are open to negotiation subject to your turnover and number of transactions.

I am currently talking to Qixpay.com as they are touting for my business and have promised they can save me money..........
that must be right as he is a salesman and they are an honest bunch arent they

edit the same machine to plug into a phone socket was rent free

[Edited on 11/7/2011 by westf27]

Hadders

posted on 11/7/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at these guys: www.adelante.co.uk

I use their MobilePOS software on my Android phone and its brilliant. Used it for 5 years. However its 'customer not present' effectively. I did compare their chip and pin service with a couple of bank providers and they were very competitive. I'm sure they would be happy to answer your question about buying your own terminal. You can use your own acquiring bank or their's which is AIB.

Jasper

posted on 12/7/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - as others have said, shop around. We use Streamline (Natwest i think) but bank with Barclays. We nearly got a mobile terminal to use at the shows we do, but reckoned we don't do enough to justify the cost as you have to rent the terminal and pay monthly for the sim rental.

I pay £50 a year to join the FSB - Federation of small business. One of the benefits is really good rates with Streamline both on rental and processing costs. They also have a team of lawyers ready to help with any query on the phone, and cheap insurance deals etc etc.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

MikeRJ

posted on 12/7/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hadders
Have a look at these guys: www.adelante.co.uk

I use their MobilePOS software

Is it just me or does anyone else see "POS" and think of a rather cruder phrase to fit the letters?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.