Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips for filling small holes in scuttle prior to wrapping
ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Tips for filling small holes in scuttle prior to wrapping

I'm in the process of converting my MK from aeroscreen to windscreen & consequently have 4 small holes (approx 6mm diameter) in the fibreglass scuttle that I need to "fill" prior to the panel being wrapped before final fitting of the windscreen. Can anyone give me any tips on product/best method of doing this?

Cheers in advance,

Elvis.

AndyW

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I filled small holes in fibre glass I put duck tape under neath the hole the a small amount of filler in hole, Let dry and gently rubbed flat. Remove duck tape, job done.
britishtrident

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bridge the back the holes with either fibre glass bonding paste or resin & woven glass tape or matt.
T66

posted on 19/7/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Path of least resistance - put a grommet in the hole

Stott

posted on 19/7/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used this with good results:

LINK

It's all done in a tin for you, with nice bits of matting chopped up in there to get it good and strong behind the area, easy peasy.

I did stop proud of the top and skimmed with P38 though but my work was for a painted finish

[Edited on 19/7/11 by Stott]

ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
I used this with good results:

LINK

It's all done in a tin for you, with nice bits of matting chopped up in there to get it good and strong behind the area, easy peasy.

I did stop proud of the top and skimmed with P38 though but my work was for a painted finish

[Edited on 19/7/11 by Stott]

Thanks for the reply. Your link takes me to a page with three products. Which one of these were you referring to?

Cheers,

Elvis

Steve Hignett

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I obviously can't say for certain, but it would probably be this one that is the one he used...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167469_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

Stott

posted on 21/7/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Steve is right, sorry for the confusion, the top one is what I used, the middle one is just a larger tin of it and the bottom one is more hardener should you run out (which you wont doing the job you are on about)

ATB
Stott

phelpsa

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'd just grommet the holes. Therefore when you wish to drive without the screen you can remove grommets and re-fix the aeroscreen

[Edited on 21-7-11 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I obviously can't say for certain, but it would probably be this one that is the one he used...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167469_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

P40 is a fibre glass bonding paste you just need a small tube and some flexible filler such a Davids Isopon Bumper Filler for the outside.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bi22le

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
When you mean wrap do you mean vynal wrap?

When I vynaled the side of my car it had quite a few little 6mm pop rivet holes in it and some were even bigger. The wrap just sits over the hole and you cant even see it. Just make sure the edges of the holes are not raised from the face of the GF.

Other than than, again gommit it, gives you the option to swap screens if you so desire.

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 24/7/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Got it sorted with some P40 & P38 as per advice.

Cheers everyone :-)

Elvis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.