Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt/Megasquirt shielded cable help
Irony

posted on 21/7/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Megajolt/Megasquirt shielded cable help

I am currently wiring up my ignition / megajolt. My oh my there are a lot of connectors. Anyways I have purchased some shielded microphone cable for connecting the VR sensor to the EDIS 8 and to connect the MegaJolt Junior Lite to the Edis 8. My EDIS 8 is only 3 inches from my MegaJoltJL so do I need to bother using the shielded cable? The tails on the connectors could easily just be connected. Seems daft to have the cable come out of the MJJL connect to shielded cable, have 2 inch of shield and connect to EDIS 8.

How critical is this shielded cable? The PIP/SAW run through the same hole as the power to the MJJL, does this need to be shielded?

[Edited on 21/7/11 by Irony]

contaminated

posted on 21/7/11 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Difficult to say - but on the basis that you have the cable and it's not hard to do, I'd go with the shielded cable.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Doofus

posted on 21/7/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
It's not worth doing it for such a short distance with PIP/SAW.
More important are the VR and coil wires to the EDIS, so shield those.

Having said that, if you pull a modern Ford loom apart, there's no shielding to either VR or coils.
Must be witchcraft.

coozer

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
The pip and saw on mine where just plain wires. The sheilded bit goes from the jolt down to the VR sensor. No need to worry IMO.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
i've had mine running (only a few seconds at a time) without sheilded cable, so not essential, but if you have it, you may as well use it imo

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

snapper

posted on 21/7/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had loads of problems with a dodgy Megajolt loom, only fully cured when I used new fully shielded wire and supported the VR sensor plug.
Do it properly IMHO
I also threw the light microphone wire away as this broke up easily when the car was used in anger and replaced with Triggerwheels proper stuff.
It was a real disappointment the car spluttering and breaking down all the time.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Irony

posted on 21/7/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I am naively hoping that the Shielded Cable I have bought will be up to the job. I looks and feels like the proper stuff and it has all sorts of Military Grade Standards it complies to printed out on a seperate sheet of paper. Could be crap though.

I just don't want to cut the tails on the EDIS8 connecter et al literally 1 inch from the connector itself. There doesn't seem to be much info on whats exceptable and whats not

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
You probably don't need to use shielded cable if it's only a few inches - but you should keep the wire away from high-current conductors (like the 12v supply to the coil, for example), and preferably not bunched up with other signal wires.

I also used triggerwheel's shielded cable for my MJ installation - the difference is noticeable between that and the stuff from Maplins - it has much tougher, thicker, oil-and-petrol-fume-resistant plastic sleeving for a start, and feels much more substantial. I'd guess that anything that isn't too delicate will do the job, but bear in mind the hot, oily, damp smug under most bonnets and the effect it may have on cheap cables!

Irony

posted on 21/7/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I might try and keep the cables that should be shielded away from other cables at all times
AntonUK

posted on 30/7/11 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried both non shielded and shielded... only difference I found was a slightly more stable signals (especially around idle) with the shielded.

But plain wire does work perfectly well in my experience with MJLJ (over around 1.5m ish)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.