Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: solidworks Chassis
DorsetStrider

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
solidworks Chassis

Hiya all,

So what's the best way of designing a spaceframe chassis in solidworks? I've done a search as I'm sure it's been discussed before but have been unable to find a definative answer.

As i see it the options are:

1) Create a complete chassis as a part
2) Create a LONG length of steel as a part then duplicate and modify it lots of times to make a chassis as an assembly
3) other???

I'd like to do it in such a way that I can add parts to it (suspension brackets, suspension, etc) at a later date as the car gets built if you know what I mean?

As always any advice/guidence gratefully received.

Oh for the record it will be in SW2011. sorry if this seems a daft question but my CAD training was best part of 20 years ago now and things have changed somewhat

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Kwik

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
how i do it is draw the base of it in a 2D sketch, then do a 3D sketch for the rest.

i then use the weldments tool to make all the lines the tubes of the space frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN_00HcEPls

youtube has some pretty good videos on weldments...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wescottishmatt

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I did this I went for option 2 above. Created a single part and copied it many times for the individual tubes and mirrored them about a plane if it was a common rail to each side of the chassis.

ashg

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
why are you bothering with solid works? its pap for designing cars. what you want is msc adams

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

FASTdan

posted on 26/7/11 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stay away from anything by MSC if you want to have it modelled this side of 2020. I'm sure ADAMS is fine for dynamic analysis but if the modelling tools are anywhere near as dire as Patran then forget it.

I would opt for (in inventor) model as a single part, but as a multi-body solid. That way the design is controlled in one part with only a few sketches. This way all your end treatments are easily done (extruding to faces etc) rather than with individual parts having to trim them at funny angles etc.

once modelled as multi bodies, you can generate unique parts and a proper assembly instantly from the master part.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
atm92484

posted on 26/7/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Here is how I do it in SW:
1) Create two parts titled 'Front Suspension Geometry' and 'Rear Suspension Geometry'. Whatever axis you have going laterally/vertically (its always the Front Plane for me) I always have as the wheel centerline.
2) In each of these parts, create a sketch and draw the points for the respective assembly (include springs and toe link points).
3) Create an assembly and insert these two assemblies. I place the Front Suspension part at the assembly origin and offset the Rear Suspension by the amount of the wheelbase. Name this 'Suspension Geometry Assembly'.
4) Create a part and call it 'Chassis Geometry'. Save it and close.
5) Create an assembly and call it 'Chassis Construction Assembly'.
6) Insert the Suspension Geometry Assembly and the Chassis Geometry part file. Locate both at the assembly origin.
7) Edit the Chassis part file, create a 3D sketch, and draw the suspension points coincident to the ones in the original suspension files.
8) Save everything, close the construction assembly, and open the Chassis Geometry part file separately. Start creating planes to define specific locations and using 2D and 3D sketches as appropriate (I prefer to define the important stuff with a plane/2D sketch then connect the less critical stuff with 3D sketches). I normally make every line a construction assembly.
9) Create another assembly and title it 'Chassis Structure Assembly'.
10) Create another part and title it 'Chassis Structure'.
11) Insert Chassis Structure and Chassis Geometry file into this assembly.
12) Edit the Chassis Structure file and using the 3D sketch function and the coincident reference, trace the points from the Chassis Geometry file (you are drawing the chassis a second time). Use normal lines. For non-straight sections like roll hoops you will need to trace with a 2D sketch and use the sweep function.
13) Open the Chassis Structure File separate and begin defining elements using the Weldments function.
14) Voila - you have a parametrically modeled chassis.
15) You can use similar processes to model other components and eventually create an entire vehicle model.

It sounds like a lot of repetitive work but it is worth it for several reasons. First, since everything is parametrically referenced, you only need to change the referenced files and everything will automatically fix its self (so if you choose to change suspension geometry, the chassis will automatically update).

Second, a complete chassis model is memory intensive and will bog down an older computer (especially with the newer versions of SW). By having geometry assemblies, you can quickly move several tubes then open the file with the actual structure and let it all rebuild at once while you get a drink.

Third, it keeps everything organized. The part file with the actual model should define very little - the location of stuff should be defined in the geometry file.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck.

-Andrew
Build Log

Alan B

posted on 27/7/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
That makes no sense at all LOL.....(only just skimmed it...) but I'm sure it's very good advice....anything that involved has to be the best way to do it....

I'm an Inventor (2010) and SW 2008 everyday user so obviously I'm only half joking....doing lots of stuff in a sketch/skeleton form to drive the assembly (weldment) always seems better in the long run, which I'm assuming is what you are doing?

<<<<< This was all designed in SW

Thanks for taking time to share all that.

Alan

[Edited on 27/7/11 by Alan B]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
atm92484

posted on 28/7/11 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
doing lots of stuff in a sketch/skeleton form to drive the assembly (weldment) always seems better in the long run, which I'm assuming is what you are doing?

Essentially yes.

I just do several assemblies to define critical points instead of drawing all of the lines in the same part as the weldments/extrusions/sweeps/etc. It makes changing stuff later much easier IMO.

-Andrew
Build Log

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.