Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage painting
gazza1591

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Garage painting

Hi All

Im going to be ordering my kit soon i hope

anyway have been boarding the end wall of the garage and getting it all ready for building but it is quiet dark (even with a 6ft strip light)
so thought i would paint the floor to help keep the dust down and brighten it up and also paint the walls white.

has anyone done this before any pics ? also how did you prep the surfaces and what paint did you use on walls/floor ?
have read on the net to mix up PVA glue with water a 50/50 mix and paint all over to seal the concrete first ? is this correct ?

thanks

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Watch Mr Bean he has a great way of painting really fast!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Ben_Copeland

posted on 27/7/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pva/water mix is correct for most dusty surfaces.

Screwfix garage floor paint is good

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

SausageArm

posted on 27/7/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I coated my garage floor with a mix of PVA and water before paint, although I can't remember what the mix is, but it does tell you on the PVA glue label. I'd recommend a proper 2 pack floor paint (paint and hardener) rather than an all-in-one tin. I mixed the paint up, poured it onto the floor in various places then using a soft sweeping brush spread it around the floor, thrn went on holiday for two weeks, when I came back it had cured perfectly. Sorry I don't have any photos showing the floor.

The walls and ceiling were painted with the big tubs of economy emulsion from B&Q, it's a lot cheaper than masonary paint but be aware it takes loads of coats to cover the brickwork/blockwork properly.

Once the painting was finished I fitted three 5ft flourescent strip lights to replace the one lightbulb it originally had, that made things much better.

Here are some photos,

Before

During

After

[Edited on 27/7/11 by SausageArm]

[Edited on 27/7/11 by SausageArm]

BenB

posted on 27/7/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I'd use good quality paint. I like Wickes pure brilliant white because it covers nicely (just don't get the contract stuff). Cheap paint is cheap because it's rubbish. It's thin like water and you need shed loads of it to get a proper degree of reflection. I've used screwfix garage floor paint and it's worked well. I didn't PVA but now it's coming up a little bit. Then again after six years you might expect it to.
trextr7monkey

posted on 27/7/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
We use Leyland floor paint at work and at home- work shop floor gets done every year- mostly for cosmetic reasons but it does stick well. There is a nice blue colour. Every second year we put in some of their non slip additive or you can just add dry silica sand and keep stirring. Needs lots of ventilation while drying as it smells terrible.
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

DIY Si

posted on 27/7/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Also, once you've painted the garage, it will still seem a bit dark as just 1 6ft strip light won't be enough for what you're after. I've got 5 6ft strip lights and a 100W bulb in the centre of my garage and I still want more lighting! It's enough to work on my car on easily, but a little more wouldn't go amiss. I do also have a 400W site lamp for use under the car and for extra light when I'm welding.

Oh, and how many sockets do you have in there? I've altered my garage to have a double socket in each corner as I hate having extension leads all over the place.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1591

posted on 27/7/11 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replys all

i currently have no electrics to the garage (apart from a massive extension type lead that i have to run to the garage each time i want to work in there) but have a friend coming around next week to fit sockets lights etc.

was thinking of 2/3 strip lights one each end width ways and one in the middle length ways ?

will go out and have a look around for some paint tomorrow

would this be any good ?

ebay item number 180697813340

thanks

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/7/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If the walls are blockwork a good dodge, taught to me by a painting contractor, is to whitewash them before painting. Uses cheap whitewash to fill all the little holes, so that you use a lot less paint.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

trextr7monkey

posted on 27/7/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza1591

...... some paint tomorrow

would this be any good ?

ebay item number 180697813340

thanks

Looks good if it lives up to the description, at that price worth ago.
Happy rolling!
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 28/7/11 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
I painted the floor red and the walls white. Only use dirt cheap white emulsion on the walls- got through a quite a bit of it but it does a good enough job if you slart it on The floor is a different matter- I used the cheap paint from screwfix but have had significant flaking. I'm not sure if this is because the PVA layer didn't go down as well as it should have or if the paint itself was a problem. Others have used it without this happening so I'm guessing the first!
White walls help considerably, but as mentioned above I'd get at least another strip light in. My workshop has six normal bulb fixings and two strip lights- tbh the strip lights aren't really needed as the six normal fittings with halogen bulbs make it like daylight in there!
I'll attach a pic for good measure

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

loggyboy

posted on 28/7/11 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Did my uneven garage floor with this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-heavy-duty-floor-paint-frigate-5ltr/88106

I didnt bother doing much prepping just gave it a good broom and brush over to clear most of the dirt, dust and spiders.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.