Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 4xv starting issues.
sdh2903

posted on 28/7/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
R1 4xv starting issues.

Hi all

Having a few issues getting my 4xv running.

When the starter button is pressed in engine turns over and fires, it then tries to rev quite quickly. Ive checked all butterflies are closed.

As soon as the starter button is released it dies completely. I'm just going out now to start checking over start relay etc. The side stand/neutral switch have been bypassed.

2nd issue, I'm a complete bec novice so may be a daft question, but the fuel pump is only receiving 12v when the start button is pressed. Should it not receive a prime pulse when the ignition is switched on?

Any help gratefully received!!

sdh2903

posted on 28/7/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Right the trying to rev problem is now sorted.

But still I can get the engine turning over and firing but as soon as I let go of the start button it dies. I did notice the battery was getting down to 9.9v on my last start attempt so has been put on charge. Could the low battery stop it from idleing on its own?

dmac

posted on 28/7/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like a fuel pump issue, the pump should be getting 12v as soon as you turn the ignition on, you will hear it clicking if its a bike pump. I think your pump is only working when the starter is turning.

Duncan

sdh2903

posted on 28/7/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Think I've sussed it, the fuel pump and ignition coils are only getting 12v feed when the engine is being cranked. Wiring fault on my part

Will rewire tomorrow and hopefully all will be well, fingers crossed.

mad-butcher

posted on 29/7/11 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
When you power up, the ecu will send a message to the fuel pump relay to tell it to prime for approx 10 secs and shut off, then when cranking ecu send message to relay to switch pump on again, if the engine doesn't start and you stop cranking ecu tells relay to switch off, if engine starts ecu tells relay to stay open, if you just want to start the engine for setting up you could always just wire the fuel pump up to a battery

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.