Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lewis gets his own show!
Gordy

posted on 31/7/11 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Lewis gets his own show!

The 'Lewis Hamilton show' has started on BBC 1
scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just a shame (for him) that it's a comedy series!

It's Evolution Baby!

Gordy

posted on 31/7/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Bet he's not laughing
scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nope... but I was!

I was really surprised that DC and MB didn't think he would have got a pen for spinning it round in the face of oncoming traffic. DiResta had to get off the track to avoid him FFS!

He'll cause a serious F1 crash yet!

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/7/11 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Nope... but I was!

I was really surprised that DC and MB didn't think he would have got a pen for spinning it round in the face of oncoming traffic. DiResta had to get off the track to avoid him FFS!

He'll cause a serious F1 crash yet!

Not sure, he was already stopped in a dangerous place. When he did that spin thing he didn't really move forward much (if at all).

To my mind penalty was for technical infringement as according to the rule book he should have sat there and waited (for Kobyashi to pile into the side of him).

scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it was easier for a driver to avoid a stationary object that they can see well ahead of them (it's an open chicane) rather than one that suddenly jumps to life and spins right in front of them.

LH admitted in his interview that he never saw DiResta! So he span the car at full chat without even knowing what was happening around him.

It's Evolution Baby!

Johneturbo

posted on 31/7/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Like Matt says he was right in the middle of the track, if he had of spun of the track and rejoined to make italian driver DiResta take avoiding action fair anough.

DiResta said he saw Lewis have his spin, so maybe he should have slowed down more.. after all thats what yellow flags are for

scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can't agree. The rules are that LH should have waited until there was a safe gap before making that move. He didn't.

As for him being in the middle of the track... he was still in the middle of the track when he did what he did, but he was spinning his car round whilst he (and he admitted it) didn't know there was a car coming.

Yellow-flags? I'd be surprised if the Marshalls had started waving them by the time Di Resta was upon him!

And what's with the 'italian' bit relating to Di Resta?

It's Evolution Baby!

Johneturbo

posted on 31/7/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes he was in the middle of the track once he spun the car but he now wasn't facing on coming trafic which in my view is more serious, if the cars bearing down on him are driving around him like he's not there!

DiResta is as charismatic as an Italian... is he related to Andy Murrey!

[Edited on 31/7/11 by Johneturbo]

scootz

posted on 31/7/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
DiResta is as charasmatic as an Italian... is he related to Andy Murrey!

Can't help you there John as I don't know what 'charasmatic' means and I don't know who 'Andy Murrey' is!

It's Evolution Baby!

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to me that if the other drivers don't have a problem with it (and Di Resta didn't) the stewards ought not to either.

Poor decision in my book, far, far too many penalties being handed out in my opinion, sometimes think the stewards WANT to get involved

As usual Brundle called it right, leave it alone and have a word later

[Edited on 31/7/11 by norfolkluego]

phelpsa

posted on 31/7/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
DiR took a precautionary line off the track. If Ham had stopped where he was DiR would still have taken that line. The official line was that Ham forced to leave the track and I don't think that was correct....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
The 'Lewis Hamilton show' has started on BBC 1

Erm... in what way exactly, having watched both yesterdays qualifying and today's race.
I remember a slot with Alonso yesterday about fuel
I remember a slot yesterday with Petrov, the track walk
I remember a slot today with Schumacher about the Merc factory
I remember a slot today with Hamilton AND Button about tyre changing

Doesn't seem overly focused on Hamilton to me, I must have been watching a different program to you

dave

posted on 31/7/11 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
F1 on BBC has been biased towards Hamilton, maybe not so much this season but in the past they have. The season Button won the title all the hype was about how Hamilton didn't win it.

Good race though, a bit harsh with the penalty after all his poor choice in tyre lost him the race.

Kwik

posted on 31/7/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego

Doesn't seem overly focused on Hamilton to me, I must have been watching a different program to you

he was watching the sky coverage

i dont get this hamilton hating, hes a confident quick driver who likes to explore the limits, if the track was full of more conservative drivers like jenson button it would hardly be a race.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gordy

posted on 31/7/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Too much ball licking at start of program for me, but if you like that sort of thing....................................
JoelP

posted on 31/7/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dont think it was too bad myself, there was enough room to get past him after he turned it round. Its racing ffs, no one wants to waste time pissing about.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
Too much ball licking at start of program for me, but if you like that sort of thing....................................

What sort of thing, seriously?
I watched the whole program and the only part that focused on Hamilton was his win at the Nurburgring. That was the review of the previous race, they do that every time and a big part of that is the winning driver, hardly 'ball licking'. Next time it will be Hungary and Button, what's the problem with that?

craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure nobody will be surprised to hear me say that Hamilton deserved a penalty today. Di Resta was relatively muted in his response but was clearly not happy and said that he would have been much more disappointed if it had cost him points (which is easily could have done). His muted response was largely due to his maturity beyond his years, something that Hamilton could learn from, and the fact his manager is Anthony Hamilton who will no doubt have discussed what to say to the press with him in advance.

Hamilton had absolutely no right to spin his car around when other cars were passing him, he should have waited until it was clear. Blue flags don't give you the right to not be overtaken when you've made a pig's ear of a corner and lost control. He knows he was in the wrong which is why he was somewhat subdued when interviewed and had already apologised to Paul. I'll bet Anthony tore a strip of his son for endangering his driver's best result of the year so far. The excuse of not seeing Paul Di Resta's car just makes the offence even worse! Try using that as an excuse to the police next time you force someone off the road and see if they are suddenly sympathetic! And what was all that nonsense Hamilton was saying about not being able to communicate with his team? Sounded like a complete load of made-up-on-the-spot baloney to me. In any event, if he didn't want intermediates then he should have carried on driving on the super softs.

And to whoever was criticising Paul for not having charisma, I'd say he has more charisma than most, is articulate, intelligent and media friendly and is a very high quality driver to boot. Oh, and he's Scottish by the way although I'm sure he will be British by the time he starts winning races... The boy will go far I have no doubt.

Button deserved the win by the way. Nothing against Seb but I wish he had finished further down to keep the WDC alive. It is looking more like the WDC will be won long before the last race which is a shame.

[Edited on 31/7/2011 by craig1410]

Richard Quinn

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
he should have waited until it was clear.

quote:
The excuse of not seeing Paul Di Resta's car just makes the offence even worse!

Ergo he thought it was clear! In hindsight, not the best manoeuvre but that having been said, I would have been keen to put the blunt end with the engine in between me and oncoming traffic. If Di Resta had ended up launching over the front of the McLaren there could have been a much worse issue and lots of comments such as "why didn't the @rsehole move his car if it wasn't stalled?".

craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

quote:

Ergo he thought it was clear! In hindsight, not the best manoeuvre but that having been said, I would have been keen to put the blunt end with the engine in between me and oncoming traffic. If Di Resta had ended up launching over the front of the McLaren there could have been a much worse issue and lots of comments such as "why didn't the @rsehole move his car if it wasn't stalled?".

Just because he didn't look doesn't mean it was safe to recover his car...

We used to have a cat who would steal stuff off the table by ducking his head underneath first and assumed because he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him... This approach didn't work for him either, he got a kick in the ar$e too! And well deserved!

norfolkluego

posted on 31/7/11 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And to whoever was criticising Paul for not having charisma, I'd say he has more charisma than most

Eh!

He's doing a good job, no doubt about that, but 'more charisma than most', you are joking

Whatever qualities Di Resta has (and he has many) I'm afraid charisma isn't one.

You don't of course actually need it, Prost made a bunch of bananas look charismatic but he didn't do too bad.

And of course it kind of assumed that'charisma' is a universally good thing, it isn't always. I would say that Flavio Briatore had charisma but I wouldn't say that in a good way.

Richard Quinn

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

quote:

Just because he didn't look doesn't mean it was safe to recover his car...

We used to have a cat who would steal stuff off the table by ducking his head underneath first and assumed because he couldn't see us, we couldn't see him... This approach didn't work for him either, he got a kick in the ar$e too! And well deserved!

Where did you hear that he didn't look? I thought he said that he didn't see him not that he didn't look. How far up the track could he see from where he was and what sort of approach speed were the cars doing there. In other words, just how long did he actually have to make a decision?

I don't get the cat analogy either. Are you suggesting that if Hamilton didn't look then he would think that the other drivers wouldn't see him either? Surely it was in his interest for them to be able to see him.

I'm not saying that what he did was right but I do think that the punishment was a little harsh.

Kwik

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
put yourself in hamiltons shoes, you are doing great for the second race in a row and you spun it, only thing on your mind no matter how calm or safe you think you might be in his situation, you want to get going again and that is all he and anyone else would be thinking about.

as for diresta i like him, he has taken risks this year like in monaco that didnt pay off and maybe hes thinking for his first season in formula one he will take his time, i bet on your first day at work you didnt go dancing round the office and making jokes with your boss, why should he have to be fun and exciting when he is still a new boy to formula 1.

also diresta took a precautionary action by driving on the grass, which most would have done yes but could have easily driven past hamilton on the tarmac. hamiltons penalty was slightly unlucky as it was pauls decision to drive off the track rather than hamilton pushing him off, which is what the penalty was awarded for.

craig1410

posted on 31/7/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:

And to whoever was criticising Paul for not having charisma, I'd say he has more charisma than most

Eh!

He's doing a good job, no doubt about that, but 'more charisma than most', you are joking

Whatever qualities Di Resta has (and he has many) I'm afraid charisma isn't one.

You don't of course actually need it, Prost made a bunch of bananas look charismatic but he didn't do too bad.

And of course it kind of assumed that'charisma' is a universally good thing, it isn't always. I would say that Flavio Briatore had charisma but I wouldn't say that in a good way.

Here's the list of 2011 drivers (source f1fanatic.co.uk). I've split it into those who are more charismatic IMHO (14) and those who are less charismatic (10). I've put Paul in the middle. The groups are sorted in driver number order as I don't time to rank them all individually. Charisma comes largely with age but some (e.g. Nick) never seem to develop it...

1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Jenson Button
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Felipe Massa
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Nico Rosberg
11. Rubens Barrichello
21. Jarno Trulli

15. Paul di Resta

9. Nick Heidfeld
10. Vitaly Petrov
12. Pastor Maldonado
14. Adrian Sutil
16. Kamui Kobayashi
17. Sergio Perez
18. Sebastien Buemi
19. Jaime Alguersuari
20. Heikki Kovalainen
22. Narain Karthikeyan
22. Daniel Ricciardo
23. Vitantonio Liuzzi
24. Timo Glock
25. Jerome d’Ambrosio

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.