Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BT Infinity?
coozer

posted on 2/8/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
BT Infinity?

Anyone using the fibre optic service from BT?

Just wondering what its like compared to my current Sky service (which has never caused a problem) as the green box at the end of the street has just been given a big sticker saying fibre optics inside or summit like that...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Agriv8

posted on 2/8/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
the sticker is to stop the Pikkies

regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

big_wasa

posted on 2/8/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
As in, there is no copper here
nick205

posted on 2/8/11 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
the sticker is to stop the Pikkies

regards

agriv8

Hmmm you're assuming they can read though

TBH even if they could they'd probably still nick it

splitrivet

posted on 2/8/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
The fibre goes to the nearest cab (green box on street), from there on its copper, same as virgin.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Alfa145

posted on 2/8/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) is as it says on the tin, fibre from the exchange to the cabinet then copper from there to your door. I'm on fibre with plus net and get a good 35meg download and 1.7meg upload.

Virgin (if you're talking Virgin Cable) is pure fibre to your door, as they dig up your front lawn to fit it from the main fibre they have running down your street, which is why they can boast speeds of 100meg+ as its all their own infrastructure and not shared with others.

[Edited on 2/8/11 by Alfa145]

splitrivet

posted on 2/8/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145
FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) is as it says on the tin, fibre to the cabinet from the exchange then copper from there. I'm on fibre with plus net and get a good 35meg download and 1.7meg upload.

Virgin (if you're talking Virgin Cable) is pure fibre to your door, as they dig up your front lawn to fit it from the main fibre they have running down your street, which is why they can boast speeds of 100meg+ as its all their own infrastructure and not shared with others.

Sorry Virgin is copper albeit co-ax, usually a shotgun cable co-ax for the data and a 4 pair phone cable for voice.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Macbeast

posted on 2/8/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pikey types round here don't worry about the copper. They rip the cabinet doors off and sell hem

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

chris.russell

posted on 2/8/11 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had infinity installed a few months back as there is no Virgin fibre in my area. Over night I went from 2.5mb to 40mb. I'm not a heavy internet user but it works fine, straight out of the box, no problems at all. It did take the engineer about 3 hours to install everything though.

Mines a pint

SteveWalker

posted on 2/8/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit annoyed. Most of the cabinets around here have been upgraded to FTTC. Including all the roads that already have cable installed. Our road and the one next to it haven't got cable 'cos there was a change of plan some years ago and they temporarily stopped installation and never restarted; you can guess which is the only cabinet in the area not upgraded to FTTC - we're only 75 yards from the cabinet, but something like a mile and a half from the exchange, so an upgrade would have been rather nice.
j3w3ll3r

posted on 2/8/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I just signed up, being fitted on the 9th, i currently get 3mb but they are telling me i will get 29.3mb, we shall see (all in all cost an extra £4 per month over Sky)

www.essexhomegame.co.uk

Ninehigh

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Still waiting for them to bring it round here... It's going to be december before they do one stage, and then the stage which means we can actually use it is "sometime in the future"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.