Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help plumbing my fuel pump EFI
Front Row Joe

posted on 2/8/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Help plumbing my fuel pump EFI

I have a Bosch pump with a 15mm inlet and a 8mm outlet. The 8mm is no problem. It is getting fuel to the pump that is the problem. What I need to do is get fuel from a tank with a 9mm outlet via a low pressure filter to the pump with a 15 mm inlet.

I can find 15mm pipe etc. However I can't find a filter with the right ends or any reducers which will fit. The pump inlet has an olive type bump on the end so I could use a 16mm pipe here as the seal would still be good(??). But again no suitable reducers etc seem to be on the market.

Somebody else must be using a pump with a similiarly large inlet so any photos / suggections would be most welcome. I have gone cross eyed starring at the screen trying to search for a solution!!

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/8/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Luckily standard plumbing sizes are 10mm and 15mm, go to Thompsons and ask for a 10-15mm reducer. this is what I did, I am running standardish 2.0 Pinto injection

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

GRRR

posted on 2/8/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Try Googling Pirtek, they have online catalogues and you could use a combination if they don't have one that suite. I would definitely say go for the exact right size i.e. don't try a 16mm bore pipe on a 15 fitting, its enough effort stopping leaks on pipes that do match!
Front Row Joe

posted on 2/8/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Luckily standard plumbing sizes are 10mm and 15mm, go to Thompsons and ask for a 10-15mm reducer. this is what I did, I am running standardish 2.0 Pinto injection

Nice idea. Would the standard plumbing ones be suitable for fuel (albeit at low pressure prior to the pump)? Surely there must be a motorsport solution though? Anyone?

[don't try a 16mm bore pipe on a 15 fitting, its enough effort stopping leaks on pipes that do match!]

I thought as much. It just seemed there was a greater selection of 16mm fittings.

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/8/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
"Would the standard plumbing ones be suitable for fuel"

My car passed its 7th MOT recently, no problems

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ss1turbo

posted on 4/8/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its a 15mm inlet and not 12mm? The "olived" section may be approaching 15mm, but thats not the nominal size.

Long live RWD...

BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/8/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Front Row Joe
I have a Bosch pump with a 15mm inlet and a 8mm outlet. The 8mm is no problem. It is getting fuel to the pump that is the problem. What I need to do is get fuel from a tank with a 9mm outlet via a low pressure filter to the pump with a 15 mm inlet.

I can find 15mm pipe etc. However I can't find a filter with the right ends or any reducers which will fit. The pump inlet has an olive type bump on the end so I could use a 16mm pipe here as the seal would still be good(??). But again no suitable reducers etc seem to be on the market.

Somebody else must be using a pump with a similiarly large inlet so any photos / suggections would be most welcome. I have gone cross eyed starring at the screen trying to search for a solution!!

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Hi Joe,

The pump has a large inlet for a reason, you should NOT reduce it, keep the 1/2" inlet to the pump right to the tank (modify your tank to have a large outlet). Most Bosch pumps are designed not to require an inlet filter (filter inside pump housing) you will need a filter on the outlet of the pump - i use jag V12 filters as they are high flow and will withstand high pressure.

What are you building?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.