Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First bike recomendations
sdh2903

posted on 10/8/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
First bike recomendations

Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of getting my direct access and purchasing a bike. I have done a bit of biking in my yooof but nothing for around 10 years. Having recently visited a pal's garage crammed full of the things I think the urge to get another is coming back.

He has a lovely bandit 650s that he was trying to flog me however i think its too nice/expensive to have as a first foray back on 2 wheels. So I know there are a load of bikers on here so what would your suggestions be?

Budget of up to 1500 quid, Not to sporty for insurance purposes, Enough power to grow into but not too much to scare (at first)

My thoughts were Bandit 600, fazer etc??

big_wasa

posted on 10/8/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sv 650 I like the k4> as they feel bigger. Lots of torque that makes them feel quick but there not sprts bike quick. Handle well and are cheapish.

Thats said You wouldnt go far wrong with a baby bandit.

sky12042

posted on 10/8/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
first proper bike i had was a honda vfr400r better known as a NC30
400cc v4 engine which pulls like a 600
easy to find and get parts for
most are grey imports but a few uk bikes around
cheaper insurance than 600's
not as tall so easy to get your feet flat on the floor at lights etc.
copy of classic RC30, looks cool i think

Andy.

whitestu

posted on 10/8/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Kawa GPZ500S is a sound choice - plenty fast enough and with a nice solid parallel twin motor.

Stu

StevieB

posted on 10/8/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I recently passed my test and after having a couple of 125's on L plates while I was learning, I got myself a Triumph Tiger 955.

It's big, but it's very stable at speed (which it has plenty of), comfortable and doesn't encourage you to go into corners too fast (which is where you'll inevitably crash when speed exceeds talent). Took a little getting used to low speed manouvering but it's second nature now and the only thing I'd change it for would be a Tiger 800XC, KTM Adventure or maybe a BMW 1200GS.

fazerruss

posted on 10/8/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Fazer 600 is a good bike. Very forgiving to ride and will only come alive if you really wind it on and will put a smile on your face if you have a nice can on it.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

aka_shortie

posted on 10/8/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Buy whatever bike you like IMO as long as you are sensible.

Doesnt matter how powerful the bike is, it will only go as fast as you turn the throttle, just ride it to your abilities.

I passed my direct access and went straight out and purchased a K7 GSXR 600. No problems here, i ride to my ability (or lack of it!)

flak monkey

posted on 10/8/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Sv 650 I like the k4> as they feel bigger. Lots of torque that makes them feel quick but there not sprts bike quick. Handle well and are cheapish.

Thats said You wouldnt go far wrong with a baby bandit.

What he said ^^

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Triton

posted on 10/8/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
NC30

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 10/8/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, some interesting options there.

I do like the NC30 but I'm 6ft 4 and I think it would be a tad small for me. Some nice sv650's on ebay for not much money.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/8/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
The CBR600 seems to satisfy in every area for new riders.

As a leftfeild choice I had a Yamaha XT600 Supermoto as my fist bike, was easy to ride and brilliant fun.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tony.g

posted on 10/8/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2005 sv650 naked and it's great.

I have had fireblades and zx9's but the sv is so easy to ride on the road.

tomprescott

posted on 11/8/11 at 04:04 AM Reply With Quote
Bandit!
I like the look of the new (2009?) Norton bike but suspect it would be expensive to keep.
Keep insurance costs in mind too, when looking at insurance a gsxr600 would cost me the same as a 1200 bandit or cbr900. Go figure...

A bird in the hand....

Johneturbo

posted on 11/8/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
The best advice is to go out and test ride a few different style of bikes ie sportsbikes or sit up and beg style, and see which suits you.

i went from Das to ZX6R 6 yrs ago and have loved it

simonwinn

posted on 11/8/11 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
The NC30/NC35 are great bikes, gear driven cams and all that but as you've said you might be too tall. I found them both a bit cramped at 5ft10. The Honda Hornet would be a good choice, 600 or 900. Its what i would be after if getting another.
MikeRJ

posted on 11/8/11 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have a K5 SV650 and it's a great bike. Reasonably light and enough grunt to be entertaining and able to cruise at 80-90mph without thrashing it to death and if you take it reasonably steady you can get an easy 60-65mpg. The V twin is relatively low revving compared to 600cc IL4s (though still goes up to about 11500RPM) and the tall gearing makes cruising quite relaxed.

Like the bandit, the budget price of the bike is shown in the suspension which is 'adequate' if you are reasonably light, but which can be easily upgraded to give excellent handling. Because it's such a popular bike it's well catered for in the aftermarket as well, with a decent exhaust can they sound lovely.

In fact I liked the SV for it's V twin grunt so much I went and bought an RSV Mille, brother has my SV at the moment.

[Edited on 11/8/11 by MikeRJ]

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/8/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
There are lots of bikes out there that you can buy for your £1500 budget, so I won't bother adding my thoughts about specific bikes, but just thought I'd pass a comment on this thread in case no-one else has ever mentioned it to you, but an additional cost to biking (like everything in life) is the associated equipment.

Gear, can cost as little or as much as you like, and taste has a lot to do with it, but get some advice from friends that have already spent there own money on certain brands of gear and money they've spent etc.

I bought cheap gear just as I was taking my test as I knew that I wasn't having a bike on the road for sometime...

However, I now have a £550 helmet, £960 leathers, £130 gloves, £240 boots, £130 back protector, £280 jacket and so on and on etc...

When you are riding, my only advice to every new biker is the same and pretty simple:

Take it easy, ride within your limits etc.
BUT - Assume that every car driver in the world HAS NOT SEEN YOU and wants to knock you off..

Enjoy every minute of bike riding, I always did/do!

Steve

tomgregory2000

posted on 11/8/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bandit 600
I had one as my first bike, great fun to ride but i changed it within 6 months to a vtr1000 (makes a much better noise)

But do buy the best gear you can!!!
Spend less on the bike and more on the gear

franky

posted on 11/8/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid any of the 400cc bikes as you'll outgrow them after 2 days. They're gutless until the last few rpm and heavy.

If it was me i'd look for a sv650 or a 'jelly mold' cbr600(1998 vintage) steel framed one. Great handling, cheap to insure/buy/look after and you wont loose any cash on one. They're great on road and track.

Like this one...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

[Edited on 11/8/11 by franky]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.