Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fan for IVA
matto_89

posted on 13/8/11 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Fan for IVA

Got a quick question regarding the electric fan on my soon-to-be IVA'd Seven. Its operated by a switch on the dash, not automatically off a sender. I know it'll spend quite a while idling at the IVA test centre - will I be near it and able to switch on the fan, or do I need to wire it up to work automatically?

Thanks.

spiderman

posted on 13/8/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just leave it switched on.

Spider

David Jenkins

posted on 13/8/11 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
My personal choice would be to have it operating automatically, AND have the override switch as backup - this would be very useful for normal driving, let alone the test.

As far as the test is concerned, if you said to the tester "you will be running the engine for ages, so I'm going to turn the fan on from the beginning - is that OK?" then I can't imagine that he will complain. Your running tests may well be done with the bonnet off, so that will help (certainly was for me at SVA).

Might be worth you doing a pre-IVA "soak test" anyway - run the engine at varying speeds for an extended period, including idling for 5 or 10 minutes, to see if you've got any potential overheating issues.

[Edited on 13/8/11 by David Jenkins]

James

posted on 13/8/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
If it's anything like my test then you'll be near it.

But! It begs the question... why on earth would you not want an automatic switch?

Weight saving?

Can you absolutely garantee you'll always remember to switch it on at the right time? Its important for engine efficiency for it to run at the right temp as this effects power and economy.

You'll look a right nerk if you have to replace a seized engine as you forgot to switch the fan on at the right temp!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

stevegough

posted on 13/8/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, got to agree - you need to put an automatic switch in.

As far as the IVA is concerned, you have to be by the car most of the time. The exceptions are when he is testing the speedo on the rolling road for 10 mins, and when he is doing the brake efficiency test - both times you have to be behind the barriers. The brake test can take quite some time.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Coopz

posted on 13/8/11 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Yep, got to agree - you need to put an automatic switch in.

As far as the IVA is concerned, you have to be by the car most of the time. The exceptions are when he is testing the speedo on the rolling road for 10 mins, and when he is doing the brake efficiency test - both times you have to be behind the barriers. The brake test can take quite some time.

I drove the car on the rollers for my speedo check.

matto_89

posted on 13/8/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that lot. I'm inclined to agree re the rad, I just need a kick up the arse to get on and wire it up rather than fiddling with other stuff!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.