Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 to Cortina Speedo
chrisbeale

posted on 18/8/11 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 to Cortina Speedo

Am Upgrading (actually downgrading i suppose) from a digi dash back to classic clocks in the 7. i have been offered by a friend a set of Cortina 1600GT Mk2 (smiths 0-100mph) gauges to fit. i know im going to need a right angle adaptor and a nice long speedo cable but does any one know how accurate this will be? I know the Cortina didnt use a Type 9 and i guess my wheels are a little smaller, dont really want to be messing around with all the output drive gear sizing etc if its going to be quite close anyway.
Also if anyones got a right angle drive lying around they want to sell???
Any help as always much appreciated

RichardK

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get away with a normal speedo cable by making a little cover, was still tight but works well, no needle flutter.

Just thought I'd mention it

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisbeale

posted on 18/8/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
That looks good, I'm quite handy with the ali so its a good option. What gauge to you run?
snapper

posted on 19/8/11 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cortina's ran mainly 13" wheels with 165 80 profile
The diffs were usual 3.7, the only way to change the output to the speedo was by different output drive gears, little plastic gear wheels.
Therefore unless you find all the different output gears available and work out what suits your set up the only other way is to have the speedo calibrated.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

RichardK

posted on 22/8/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Original square Sierra clock put into a knackered round speedo casing.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Speedy Cables will recalibrate your speedo, given figures like wheel circumference, number of rotations of drive cable per 6 wheel revs etc. They also make up drive cables to match boxes to speedo heads.

http://www.speedycables.com/calibration.html

[Edited on 22/8/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

paulf

posted on 22/8/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used a type 9 of unknown origin but most likely a Sierra and found that with a 1000 rev per mile speedo which seems a common version either ford or smiths a 3.89 diff and 185/70/13 tyres the speedo was accurate to within a couple of mph right through the range, I now have 60 profile tyres and it over reads by about 5mph at 80mph.So depending on your tyres and diff it may not be far out. I ran the speedo cable through the tunnel wall and across the drivers floor just in front of seat and then up the chassis to the back of the dash, i used a shortened Sierra cable .
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.