Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reliability of Newer Alfa's
eddie99

posted on 23/8/11 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Reliability of Newer Alfa's

Hi Guys,
Ok just searching through auto trader trying to find a car to replace the s3 as its definitely a write off, Some of you might have seen the other posts.
Spotted some 2005-2006 Alfa GT's, 1.9 diesel. Bit out of price range but not by that much.

Fits my requirements of:
Can Tow
Economical
Bit more room
Looks Fun - seems to be the only car that can do the above 3 and seems quirky.

Anyone any experience of them? Are modern alfas still known for being unreliable?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
G/f used to have a brand new alfa 146 gt 1.9d. Was a great car to drive. Had blooming awful positioning of switch gear. Very little rear seat room and tiny depth but tall boot (so it was strangely practical at some times and not others).

Realiability wise .... is was up to 2 years old, twice the cruise control failed during a journey. If you stopped, turned off, restarted , it was fine. When the garage first looked then replaced a sensor on the clutch pedal. She lost her job (and car) before the garage had it back a second time. Nothing else i can remember went wrong (or at least, she never told me the garage had it and had to replace anything else - although this may be because she couldn't face me moaning).

Oh standard radio was a bit poo as well - very difficult to listen to speach for some strange reason (so radio four wasn't an option) but it alwasy worked.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/8/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Someone posted a link to this site previously.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/alfa-romeo/gt-2004/?section=bad

jacko

posted on 23/8/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
You need to talk to Mookaloid [ Mark ] on here he is a Alfa man
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ssc28

posted on 23/8/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have been running a 55 plate 156 jtd 16v for almost 3 years. Fab car with no real problems. Has the same diesel engine as the GT, 150 bhp, pretty quick for an oil burner, does 54 ish mpg around town and i can squeeze about 65 mpg on long runs. Has a nice 6 speed box too. They only tend to have minor niggles, usually need top wish bones and bushes after bigger miles, mine needed wishbones at 90k, its done 105k now. Only other thing I would say is service it on schedule, diesels need timing belts at 72k and petrol ones at 36k, dont go over the intervals.
Buy a diesel Gt and you will engoy it.

sjmatthews

posted on 23/8/11 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 55 plate GT 1.9 diesel 69,000 miles. Lovely looking car, lovely to drive, 18" alloys, leather.

Niggles are only minor. Arguably the build quality is not as good as some (rattles), and they do tend to depreciate. There does seem to be a stigma which Alfa doesn't seem to be able to shake off. When I bought mine, my neighbour (twit) said to me 'do you like breaking down?' rather than 'wow a Bertone designed coupe - lovely'.

Have had mine for 3 1/2 years and has been a reliable car which get regular comments from people. The diesel uses a Fiat engine, commonly used in Fiat, Alfa, Saab and Vauxhall cars and does great mpg, but as others have said, just make sure it's fully serviced.

I've been considering changing mine for something newer. I went to a local car supermarket to look at a Pugeot 207 or 308 HDI sport. How dull Then I spotted a red 05 plate GT gleaming in the sun, and I found myslef admiring the beautiful shape and lines of the car - so much nicer than the pugs. Let's just say got back into my GT, apologised to her for considering leaving her and enjoyed my drive home.

You buy an Alfa for it's individuality and soul (as they say). Go for it

Steve

I'll be in the garage dear!

procomp

posted on 23/8/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The Volvo's with the D5 engine are becoming quite popular around the race paddocks as a general tow barge / day to day runner. Have a look for John Moore Kits 750 board member at Silverstone the weekend he will give you a run down on the pros n cons of them. He an accountant type so.....

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.