Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec middie
Dean

posted on 1/8/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bec middie

Just wondering if it was possible to setup a bec in a mid-engine configuration with an automoitve drive shaft and irs? Just like the front engine bec cars but with a mid-engine and a shortend drive shaft?
Thanks.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 1/8/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
yes why not, if ihave understood you correctly

you can do anything you want inthis game its just the more different it is the longer it takes

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

alister667

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you're describing the Fisher Fury Menace (Mid ENgined ACE) - it's been featured in a few of the kit mags recently - it uses a very short propshaft. I can't rememeber if it has IRS or not though.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andkilde

posted on 1/8/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dean

That's the configuration I'm hoping to use myself. The Fisher Fury Menace uses that layout as do the Coram LMP and the new middy from MK.

I believe we can do away with the driveshaft completely with a carefully designed flexible coupling -- I've been looking at industrial couplings (as used between large electric motors and hydraulic pumps) but I'm thinking about simply purchasing a ready made piece from one of the manufacturers).

I'm working on mastering SolidWorks at the moment so I can convert my napkin scratchings into something useful.

How far along in the process are you?

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sven

posted on 2/8/04 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
me too, me too

quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
I believe we can do away with the driveshaft completely with a carefully designed flexible coupling -- I've been looking at industrial couplings (as used between large electric motors and hydraulic pumps) but I'm thinking about simply purchasing a ready made piece from one of the manufacturers).

Crikey. I hate to say me too, but 'me too'! Thinking about a 900+ (R1 GSXR1000, etc.) Jap inline 4 longditudanally(sp?) mounted behind the driver (did I mention I'm looking at a single seater) with the output splined shaft directly coupled to a 3rd member via a flexible thingy of some kind (TBD). Any help with ideas on the coupling would be tremendous.

Some of the Locost BEC builders appear to like the Land Rover Freelander diesel diff because it's IRS and it has a 3.182 ratio.

These diffs are like hens teeth in the US, so other options include a Mazda Miata but the ratio will be uncomfortable. I may consider a solid/live rear axle and options include a Triumph GT6 (3.27:1) and a Ford Pinto (3.08:1), the latter sounding almost perfect with disk brake kits being very affordable assuming the sucker can take the horsepower and the weight is reasonable.

For my application; going really fast on pretty smooth roads and at track days, I think a live axle would be just fine, but I do have a fully loaded rear subframe for a Miata that might be useful assuming I can find reasonable final drive ratios for it.

I'm too cheap, by far, to spend $3200 on a Quaife differential, but that would be perfect if I wasn't so tight, ie: had a family to feed.

I have Honda Civic front hubs, uprights/struts, which have the same PCD as the Miata, and I'd probably modify them to be suitable for the usual unequal length a-arms with Yamaha R6 coil over shocks via a pushrod/rocker arm configuration.

Next steps for me is to obtain more parts for mockup, build a Staniforth string computer then do some AutoCAD and build a few balsa models of the frame.

-Steve

spunky

posted on 2/8/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
You mean like mine, See archive

quote:
Originally posted by Dean
Just wondering if it was possible to setup a bec in a mid-engine configuration with an automoitve drive shaft and irs? Just like the front engine bec cars but with a mid-engine and a shortend drive shaft?
Thanks.

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

JoelP

posted on 2/8/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
spunky, is that two sierra UJs bolted together? looks good, does it work well?

clutch adapter 2
clutch adapter 2

[Edited on 2/8/04 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Sven

posted on 2/8/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yuh, exactly like that. So, in your opinion then, there is no need for a means to separate vibrations between the engine and 3rd member, assuming they're both well mounted to the frame?

I assume a live axle would put the cat amongst the tree rats, then, as the whole axle needs the ability to move up and down.

FWIW, I'm still in the exciting thinking about it stage, although I have bought some cheapish parts, so I'm still open in most respects.

Anything I should bear in mind that you can think of from your experience?

-Steve

spunky

posted on 2/8/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Sven, Joel, you're right, it is simply two UJ's bolted together.
Certainly does what its meant to do. The engine is mounted rigidly, so there is no movement, which would be a problem with such a short prop. the advantage is the power transfer is very 'direct', the disadvantage is the engine vibes are passed through the whole chassis. That is only really noticeable in the mirrors at certain revs.
I took a lot of time ensuring the allignment of engine and diff were perfect (this goes against the theory for 'normal' prop shaft arrangements) but I wanted it balanced. there is no chance of oscillation on prop that length.
Sven, the only thing that springs to mind is mount the engine first and give the diff. mounts a bit of slack or slots. That way the coupling can be torqued up fully without the risk of stressing any mounts.
Mine are slotted, giving around 3/8" to play with, as I plan on fitting an electric reverse and want to sandwich the flywheel between the UJ and diff flange.
This idea can only work with IRS or De-Dion not live axle.

John

Sven

posted on 2/8/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks John. I thought about mounting the motor using stiff rubber engine mounts and the diff using rose/heim joints so it could be adjusted fore and aft as necessary.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Steve

Peteff

posted on 3/8/04 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I read somewhere about a joint using 2 sprockets with a piece of duplex chain round them. I can't remember where or when but it sounds like an idea worth studying.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

spunky

posted on 3/8/04 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I read somewhere about a joint using 2 sprockets with a piece of duplex chain round them. I can't remember where or when but it sounds like an idea worth studying.

Interesting idea. I've used it for lashing together temporary drives at work, would have thought the torsional forces were a tad high as you would be driving on half a link.
Spent a bit of time trying to find a Fenner coupling that would fit, either a tyre or star. Sure they would work but one with a high enough spec was too big. pity as it would relieve some of the backlash and 'clonking' you get with a BEC.

John

sgraber

posted on 3/8/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Dennis Palatov of DPcars.net is attaching his Hayabusa engine using rubber donuts from a BMW driveshaft... Does this help? (Since I have no practical experience in these matters)

edit - oops link to http://www.dpcars.net it's the little silver beasty he's building...

[Edited on 8/3/04 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

ceebmoj

posted on 4/8/04 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds a lot like what I am trying to build all though my work as staled some what. However I would be interested in swapping Ideas. The last thing I did was have some plates laser cut so that I could mount bike front disks directly on to a sera diff.
spunky

posted on 4/8/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
Sounds a lot like what I am trying to build all though my work as staled some what. However I would be interested in swapping Ideas. The last thing I did was have some plates laser cut so that I could mount bike front disks directly on to a sera diff.

Thats what this forum does very well, im happy to share my experiences and swap ideas.

Steve- Had a good look at the DP1 site, hell of a car but somehow I don't think it is particularly 'Locost'

John

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/8/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

Chris Allison of Zcars does the bits for this type of drivetrain

Hugh Jarce

posted on 6/8/04 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the industrial transmission flanges are perfect for this. They come with a variety of splines/flanges/fixings and and the male and female halfs are cushioned with a separate polyurethane "star". Some are designed to handle up to 500 hp and high torque figures.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

spunky

posted on 6/8/04 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
Some of the industrial transmission flanges are perfect for this. They come with a variety of splines/flanges/fixings and and the male and female halfs are cushioned with a separate polyurethane "star". Some are designed to handle up to 500 hp and high torque figures.

I agree they would be perfect. However I checked through all the cataloues at work and the couplings with a suitably high rating were all on the large side

John

sgraber

posted on 6/8/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
ermm, if you look at the photo I posted above you will notice that the rubber piece being used by DPCars is a BMW bog stock part for the driveshaft (320i?) and it is exactly what you are talking about but designed for a car....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

spunky

posted on 6/8/04 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
They still must be around 5.5" diameter. very similar to the old Hillman Imp 'doughnuts' (English spelling) would have been too tight for my installation without cutting chassis members.
Worth bearing in nind though.

John

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Chris Allison of Zcars does the bits for this type of drivetrain

Its ALLANSON!!!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ned

posted on 9/8/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
that rubber donut looks exactly like the one on the girlfriends 316 compact. i noticed the other day when putting the spare wheel back on the car under the boot.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Hugh Jarce

posted on 9/8/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunky
They still must be around 5.5" diameter.

As Graber says they are made for the job but they are on the large side.
The industrial ones I had in mind are about 75mm to 90mm diameter. Yhe other thing to use is one of the metal to metal drag racing diff couplers. The male would go on the motorcycle output shaft and the female bolts onto the nose of the diff in place of the flange. Rescued attachment diff_coupler.jpg
Rescued attachment diff_coupler.jpg

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

MrFluffy

posted on 9/8/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
cushioning

If your worried about the harshness of drive train, its worth noting that most bike engines have some sort of cush drive in the clutch hub (which will be retained), along with the rear wheel. If it all gets snatchy after a year or so of abuse, worth checking that the cush drive hasnt broke up...
malcolmstoddart

posted on 9/8/04 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
task your local "Wyco" sales rep (or equivalent bearing supplier) with a headache tell him all the torque figures, rpm, angular offset, shaft sizes, rolling diameters...etc... and he will come up with the goods, works for me at work anyway, when I can't be arsed to fathom it all out...
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.