Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vinyl rear arches
RK

posted on 26/8/11 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
vinyl rear arches

Hi. Sorry to be on all the time about failures in my build, but not much else to report! Just found out the garage I left it in all last winter managed to hit my rear arch with something, putting a big hole in the fibreglass, and ripping it off the ally flange holding it on to the car. This was covered by a black vinyl arch protector, which I tore off yesterday just to find out why it looked a bit odd. You can't win with other people. That's why you build your own bloody car...

Anyhoo - I tried using some ebay 3D Carbon fibre fake vinyl to do the arch because I couldn't find any bondo kicking around the garage, haven't been successful with painting, and had the vinyl. I did the top bit ok, but the sides turned out like a dog's breakfast - really bad. I ended up cutting as much out as I could, and patching it with other bits, trying to line up the squares.

How on earth does it go around the corners without bunching up? I tried using a heat gun, but it just made it worse. I have seen lots of vids on this, but they just show regular cars, and mostly roofs!! Nothing on our special shapes. Any ideas?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/8/11 at 05:01 AM Reply With Quote
Heatgun is the way. Search YouTube on alloy wheel vinyl wrapping. I used some of that 3D carbon vinyl and had similar experience with curves. Some of the carbon vinyl doesn't seem as stretchy?!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

snakebelly

posted on 26/8/11 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
You'd be better off with a plain coloured vinyl for that as stretching the dinoc stuff with heat can make the textured finish look very strange but with a plain colour a heat gun and some patience even I can get a good finish so you should be fine, might also help to remove the wing and do it on the bench. If it all starts going wrong don't be afraid to "snap" it off the surface a bit to reposition.
Hth

joemotion

posted on 26/8/11 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
ive just got some Carbon Di-noc for the rear arches and gonna attempt one this weekend! Hopefully will go ok but need a heat gun otherwise the mrs hairdryer is getting a going over!

Dont wanna mess it up as wasnt cheap! had a play over the edges with the free samples carbon mods do and seems quite neat however they were only small so will see what a large sheet pays up like!

franky

posted on 26/8/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you're using genuine di-noc they'll look perfect with a little heat. If its not the 3m di-noc you're getting what you paid for.
40inches

posted on 26/8/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
ajf is the guy you want to speak to. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=136560

RK

posted on 26/8/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Evidently, I just haven't spent enough on my car. I'll try the Di Noc stuff and see if that's any better. Meanwhile, I'll just cut out more bad bits on this and live with it for now. Still looks better than the bad paint that was on there (and I guess still is!).

Thank you everyone!

ps it is 3D car vinyl that I have used, so I assumed it would be OK. The heat gun made it worse actually.

[Edited on 26/8/11 by RK]

joemotion

posted on 26/8/11 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
The 3M stuff is very good - all you need is a hair dryer and it just wraps itself around the bends. Carbon Mods was the best price I could get for the size i wanted so try there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.