flak monkey

posted on 30/8/11 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Petition to reintroduce the rolling historic tax exemption

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/183

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tomgregory2000

posted on 30/8/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
done i want my landy to be free to tax :-)
speedyxjs

posted on 30/8/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Done. doubt it will work though, the government would loose too much income

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Triton

posted on 30/8/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
OOOO Yes please my camper is 28 years old so free road tax would be most dandy

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 30/8/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
as much as we'd all like them to, I can't see them changing it
I've always reconned they'll start it rolling again when it gets to 50 years.... (ie. 2023 )

[Edited on 30/8/2011 by mcerd1]

-

scootz

posted on 30/8/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I sometimes think you need to pick your battles and I fear that this one is a complete non-starter.

We are in a time of austerity... strike one.
The environmentalists would have a heart attack at the thought of the most damaging polluters getting a free-reign... strike two.

I would keep our heads below the parapet and save our voice for when they seriously think about OUTLAWING vehicles that don't meet a strict emissions test (it's coming!).

It's Evolution Baby!

mark chandler

posted on 30/8/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
"reintroduce" the rolling historic tax exemption

It never existed, just exempt before some point in 1973 so a period in time, nothing rolling about it!

If you can prove manufacture before the date you can still get exempt even if your car is a couple of months over by registration.

blakep82

posted on 30/8/11 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

It never existed, just exempt before some point in 1973 so a period in time, nothing rolling about it!

If you can prove manufacture before the date you can still get exempt even if your car is a couple of months over by registration.

it did. it used to be any car over 25 years old. tony blair did away with it in 1998 and set the year as 1973. if he hadn't done that, then any car over 25 years old NOW would be tax exempt.

anyway, it would encourage people to recycle old cars to keep their 'classics' on the road, instead of using loads of energy and carbon emissions (if you believe in all that) to make new rubbish cars

[Edited on 30/8/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TimC

posted on 30/8/11 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I sometimes think you need to pick your battles and I fear that this one is a complete non-starter.

The environmentalists would have a heart attack at the thought of the most damaging polluters getting a free-reign... strike two.

I would keep our heads below the parapet and save our voice for when they seriously think about OUTLAWING vehicles that don't meet a strict emissions test (it's coming!).

Amen, Brother.

mark chandler

posted on 30/8/11 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

it did. it used to be any car over 25 years old. tony blair did away with it in 1998 and set the year as 1973. if he hadn't done that, then any car over 25 years old NOW would be tax exempt.

anyway, it would encourage people to recycle old cars to keep their 'classics' on the road, instead of using loads of energy and carbon emissions (if you believe in all that) to make new rubbish cars

It may have been tabled that initially but...............

Vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 are eligible for a free vehicle licence under "historic vehicle" legislation. This is due to the age of the vehicle and a presumption of limited mileage. Initially this was a rolling exemption applied to any vehicles over 25 years old, however the cutoff date was frozen in 1997. The change to "pre-1973" was unpopular in the classic motoring press, and a number of classic car clubs are campaigning for a change back to the previous system.[7] In 2006 there were 307,407 vehicles in this category:[8]

My maths says 1973 - 1998 is 25 years so the rules were amended before it was possible for any cars to roll over, if the rule had not been changed then roll over would only have happened in 1998. It never happened!!!

Humbug

posted on 30/8/11 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

It may have been tabled that initially but...............

Vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 are eligible for a free vehicle licence under "historic vehicle" legislation. This is due to the age of the vehicle and a presumption of limited mileage. Initially this was a rolling exemption applied to any vehicles over 25 years old, however the cutoff date was frozen in 1997. The change to "pre-1973" was unpopular in the classic motoring press, and a number of classic car clubs are campaigning for a change back to the previous system.[7] In 2006 there were 307,407 vehicles in this category:[8]

My maths says 1973 - 1998 is 25 years so the rules were amended before it was possible for any cars to roll over, if the rule had not been changed then roll over would only have happened in 1998. It never happened!!!

My understanding as well, i.e. it never was "rolling" as implemented.

rf900rush

posted on 30/8/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The Idea was to allow historic cars too be kept and used occasionally at little cost, NOT for us poor too keep our old bangers going on the cheap.
I think it was under estimated how many had old cars were out there.

I had a 1975 Ranger Rover just 2 years too go, then they stopped it in 1973.

Not bitter and twisted at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 30/8/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

1. Only because the government want you to believe we are. Our GDP to borrowing rate is lower now than it has been for most of the last 100 years.

2. Who gives a cr@p? Its more environmentally sound to run your 30 year old car than buy a new one. The hippies should know that they all drive Campers dont they?

Sera

scootz

posted on 30/8/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not saying that I agree David... it's just what they'll come straight back at us with!

It's Evolution Baby!

flak monkey

posted on 30/8/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know Scott, I am just being a bit of an arse

Sera

scootz

posted on 30/8/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

morcus

posted on 30/8/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think your wasting your time and I think it's also a bad idea if it's not part of a reform of the entire road tax system.

The problem was it was intended for show cars and very low useage cars but by the late 90's was being used by a large number of people just to get around paying tax for everyday cars.

I'm also with the group who are saying it's best not to rock the boat, the old system of tax works out alot cheaper if your driving a 20 year old car, drawing attention to something in an attempt to get tax rates changed only ever ends with someone spotting that there could be more money to made through increasing taxes.

Personally I think the Driver should be Taxed and not the car, and that having multiple cars should give you reduced tax per car as you can't drive more than one at a time and it's the most enviromentallay friendly solution if you have to occasionally carry lots of passengers or stuff.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.