Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Choice of Bike Carbs
ssc28

posted on 31/8/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Best Choice of Bike Carbs

I've read many of the topics on the pros and cons of bike carbs over my existing 45 side draft dellortos and have now decided to go down the bike carb, not tb route. Which carbs are best suited to car use. I understand some can be re spaced without much trouble and I hope someone can tell me which ones.
I want to keep this as simple as possible as I intend to do the inlet manifold and basic jetting myself in true locoster fashion. Any advice would be greatfully received.

jacko

posted on 31/8/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have zx9r carbs

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 31/8/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
What size engine are you using??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mookaloid

posted on 31/8/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a lot of effort for not much gain to me - what's wrong with the 45s ?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

snapper

posted on 31/8/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs V's weber debate....... Here we go.....
An experienced tuner who worked for Tolman racing and worked on a Caterham racer series says bike carbs are better as the veritable venturi delivers better flow characteristics, much better response at part throttle as the throttle butterfly may be slammed open by the large right foot but the veritable Venturi with the needle is raised only by the amount the engine requires.
Economy is better as well.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

macc man

posted on 31/8/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Can depend a lot on which engine you are using. For a zetec they are ideal and a cheaper option especially if you can make your own manifold. I made my own so I did not need to respace carbs but off the shelf items are available. Contact fast dan on here he may be able to advise you and supply what you need.

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/8/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
All good advice. BUT you need to be careful with jetting. Get it wrong=dead engine. A wideband O2 sensor is needed (or a rolling road)

[Edited on 31/8/11 by cliftyhanger]

jazzym

posted on 1/9/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have ZX9R carbs and they are much better than the twin Weber 40's I had on before. Better fuelling, better throttle response, better economy etc....

I made sure that I had a mounting point for a lambda sensor welded into my exhaust to ensure the fuelling was bang on when being set up on a rolling road. I simply screw a spark plug into it in order to plug the hole when not in use.

My pinto now makes a very useful 174bhp at the flywheel and that's with just a piper 270 cam. There would be a bit more if I went to a 285.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.