Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Started today missing splatering then dies
hubby

posted on 3/9/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Started today missing splatering then dies

hi all. got in my kit out stanard 2l pinto with 32/36 degav yeasturday after sitting in the garage for a week started as normal when it warmed up tried giving it some welly but started missing/ splatering on any thing over 3/4 revs checked the leads and cap every thing seemed fine. on the way home i have a large hill (blue bell hill) started to give it some again and the same happened but had to turn in to the slip road as it just died on me. it started up straite away with out a problem but as soon as it was over 1/2 trottle it just platters and dies doesnt matter if im driving or just revving it, some of the times i can keep it going if i repeatedly blip the throttle. took it out of garage today checked the carb jets well the 4 that i could find no dirt and they were clean the fuel bowl looked only about 1/3 full is this normal
Any idea's any one? or am i looking it the wrong place thanks in advance

Macbeast

posted on 3/9/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel starvation ?
Tank air breather blocked
Fuel filter blocked
Duff petrol pump

[Edited on 3/9/11 by Macbeast]

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

rusty nuts

posted on 3/9/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is the fuel tank vented? try driving with the fuel cap off , if fault has gone then tank needs venting. Is fuel pump delivering fuel at correct pressure and rate? Pump push rod worn , can't remember if the Pinto lump has one but once had similar problems with a CVH lump that was caused by a worn push rod. Fuel lines clear? Fuel tank outlet clear? No air leaks into fuel lines?? especially rubber hoses? may not show up as fuel leaks so check for perishing
britishtrident

posted on 3/9/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
As above + clean the carb jets and check for water in the float chamber.
hubby

posted on 3/9/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys the fuel cap is on top about 40cm away from the passenger headrest i know the fuel cap is ok as when i overfill it, up to the neck and take left hand corners fast it spills out a bit. no water in float chamber. ive already replaced part of the fuel line as it was cracking but ill do the rest of it and replace fuel filter, failing that how do i check the pressure/rate of the pinto fuel pump. i fancied a drive tonight as its 21 degrees here at gone 10 at night sodds law i suppose.
rusty nuts

posted on 4/9/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Disconnect your positive supply to the coil to stop any HT sparks, disconnect the fuel supply to the carb and place in a suitable can/jar whatever , crank the engine and you should get a reasonable amount of fuel delivered. In the absence of a fuel pressure gauge place a finger or thumb over the outlet of the fuel pipe when cranking a feel for any pressure, if you have a gauge then perhaps about 4 or 5 psi

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.