Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Email verification,
Steve Hignett

posted on 8/9/11 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe the email default could be OFF to satiate a few cautious people Chris?

(People that may miss when registering or maintaining their details)...

trikerneil

posted on 8/9/11 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
Worked for me at second attempt.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 8/9/11 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Worked for me though Hotmail decided it was spam ! Is Bill Gates not a member !!

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

snakebelly

posted on 8/9/11 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of an issue ..... logged in first thing and verified fine no problem, went to make coffee, opened browser and got the red banner again but this time my email has defaulted to my username so have had to edit my profile back to show my email and verify a second time!
Is there a background job still running to reset everyone's email to their user name that I just got the tail end of?

mcerd1

posted on 8/9/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Worked for me though Hotmail decided it was spam ! Is Bill Gates not a member !!

Regards

Agriv8

worked fine for me (hotmail) - Bill must have joined JCB

-

ChrisW

posted on 8/9/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
Bit of an issue ..... logged in first thing and verified fine no problem, went to make coffee, opened browser and got the red banner again but this time my email has defaulted to my username so have had to edit my profile back to show my email and verify a second time!
Is there a background job still running to reset everyone's email to their user name that I just got the tail end of?

I have spotted that happening, but thought it was people setting their addresses to their usernames for some reason. Now you've mentioned this I'll have a proper dig in the code and see if I can work out what causes it.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snippy

posted on 8/9/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I`ve tried to verify 3 times now. Received 3 e-mails ok, clinked the link on each e-mail but nothing happens. Still get red banner asking me to do it all again. I just seem to be going around in circles. Can`t be bothered with it anymore. Why try and fix something that ain`t broke? Guess my days are numbered on here then.
McLannahan

posted on 8/9/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I`ve tried to verify 3 times now. Received 3 e-mails ok, clinked the link on each e-mail but nothing happens. Still get red banner asking me to do it all again. I just seem to be going around in circles. Can`t be bothered with it anymore. Why try and fix something that ain`t broke? Guess my days are numbered on here then.

I'm sure Chris could manually verify your address, drop him a U2?

iank

posted on 8/9/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy

Have you tried pasting the link into your browser rather than clicking it. Worked fine that way for me.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Jonte

posted on 9/9/11 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
No email for me. Checked both spam and regular inbox, nothing yet.
Tried three times

Click it

melly-g

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
I can only get my work e-mail to work home one doesn't want to play!!
RACER101

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have also tried to get my email address verified (twice) but still no email. My junk mail folder is empty and my LCB profile settings seem to be fine.

Occurs to me that it might be down to over zealous spam filtering by some email providers perhaps (btinternet.com in my case)..........is this possible?

Thanks,
John

Ian Pearson

posted on 9/9/11 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Have tried four or five times, but no e-mail for me. Spam filter turned off. Have U2U'd Chris.
Fozzie

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101............Occurs to me that it might be down to over zealous spam filtering by some email providers perhaps (btinternet.com in my case)..........is this possible?..............

I have a feeling that this may be the case..... ...

I have left a message for ChrisW .....

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

ChrisW

posted on 9/9/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
All

In the last 36 hours (or so!) since I put this change live over 700 people have managed to verify their addresses sucessfully. That includes people from 154 people from @hotmail, 42 people from @btinternet, 21 from AOL, 9 from @talktalk and 19 from @ntlworld.

Therefore, everything I can see points to the site being working and (at least) those ISPs accepting the mail and understanding that it's not spam.

If you're pressing the verify button and not receiving the mail after a few minutes:

1. Check that your email address is correct. Sounds stupid, but a few people I've 'fixed' because they have an extra dot, or a missing dot, or an underscore, or something silly like that

2. Check your spam folder.

3. If you're running any kind of internet security software or spam killer on your machine please make sure @locostbuilders.co.uk is whitelisted, then try sending again.

4. If you're convinced that it's not your PC, call your ISP and ask them why they're filtering mail from the site. They'll need to know that the origininating MX is typhon.netrino.co.uk which has IP 84.234.16.22.

5. Whatever you do, don't write me a snotty email saying the site isn't working. 705 people (as of 11:30 today) disagree with you. I'm happy to help, but the problem is most likely at your ISP on on your PC, not the site or the server.

If you are getting the mail but the link doesn't work, try copy-pasting the link straight into your browser. It should look like this:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/memcp.php?action=confirmemail&code=<a 32 digit code>.

If you get a 'code failed' message, check you've got all 32 letters or numbers in the address. It's not case sensitive.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

RACER101

posted on 9/9/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I have now sorted out my email verification and for the benefit of others who, like me, were encountering difficulties I will endeavour to explain what I found.

My email address is @btinternet.com. and I can access my emails in 2 ways. First option is to open my email client (Outlook Express in my case). No verification emails arrived in Outlook despite 3 attempts. Nothing in my junk mail folder and all spam filters in my anti-virus software (AVG) turned off.

Second option (which I almost never use) is to open my email from my btinternet home page (this is a facility like hotmail which allows you to access your email account from any computer). Low and behold, the spam folder contains 20 filtered emails including the 3 verification emails from LCB. The folder also contained a few other automated LCB "New Reply to Subscribed Thread" notifications plus others from British Gas.

What puzzles me most is that the spam filtering on the web based email is totally inconsistent because some other emails from LCB and British Gas have been allowed through and arrived in my Outlook inbox.

Moral of the story is that I now need to regularly check my web based spam folder to ensure that it isnt randomly blocking legitimate stuff that should be getting through.

Cheers,
John

[Edited on 9/9/11 by RACER101]

Fozzie

posted on 9/9/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101
Ok, I have now sorted out my email verification and for the benefit of others who, like me, were encountering difficulties I will endeavour to explain what I found.

My email address is @btinternet.com. and I can access my emails in 2 ways. First option is to open my email client (Outlook Express in my case). No verification emails arrived in Outlook despite 3 attempts. Nothing in my junk mail folder and all spam filters in my anti-virus software (AVG) turned off.

Second option (which I almost never use) is to open my email from my btinternet home page (this is a facility like hotmail which allows you to access your email account from any computer). Low and behold, the spam folder contains 20 filtered emails including the 3 verification emails from LCB. The folder also contained a few other automated LCB "New Reply to Subscribed Thread" notifications plus others from British Gas.

What puzzles me most is that the spam filtering on the web based email is totally inconsisent because some other emails from LCB and British Gas have been allowed through and arrived in my Outlook inbox.

Moral of the story is that I now need to regularly check my web based spam folder to ensure that it isnt randomly blocking legitimate stuff that should be getting through.

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the above info John........hopefully the above will help others who are having problems.
It isn't just BT, my email is ntlworld, now of course Virgin Media, they work in much the same way as you have described BTinternet does, even down to the inconsistencies of what is 'ok' one day, may not be the next!!

Fozzie

iank

posted on 9/9/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of ISP's work on the principle that a lot of similar emails from the same source to many of their customers in a shor time window must be spam and they filter it.
Demon supply this as an option, but if selected they just delete it silently and don't give access even on their web-mail.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Fozzie

posted on 9/9/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
A lot of ISP's work on the principle that a lot of similar emails from the same source to many of their customers in a shor time window must be spam and they filter it.
Demon supply this as an option, but if selected they just delete it silently and don't give access even on their web-mail.

Yes.....Virgin Media is a bit hit and miss like that .... some they silently delete....some goes into a web-mail junk folder, some gets downloaded to the users email client.

Thankfully, at this point in time VM see LCB as 'good' ...... which is ...nice...

Humbug

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I had no problem verifying my email address per the recent change but interestingly enough, in the past couple of weeks I have started to get a deluge of spam emails to my LCB email address (which I don't use for anything else). They mostly seem to be from China offering me wonderful opportunities to buy products I am not interested in!
Ian Pearson

posted on 10/9/11 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't verify, and have been using Incredimail. Signed onto AOL, and found the verification e-mail .... "BINGO."
dave

posted on 11/9/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RACER101

What puzzles me most is that the spam filtering on the web based email is totally inconsistent because some other emails from LCB and British Gas have been allowed through and arrived in my Outlook inbox.

Cheers,
John

[Edited on 9/9/11 by RACER101]

Thanks Mate, this worked for me.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.