Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall Z20LET Engine mate to a MT75 Gearbox?
DixieTheKid

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Z20LET Engine mate to a MT75 Gearbox?

Hello chaps.

Question is as above really, a mate of mine has just purchased himself a nice vauxhall turbo lump (z20let) for a RWD project he has got going on and wants to know if it will mate to an MT75. Im not to sure if it will mate up to it, i thought you had to use a uprated type9 or T5 with a adaptor bellhousing. Is that right?

[Edited on 10/9/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

flibble

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Any reason why it has to be an MT75 and not a Vaux Omega box as I'd imagine that must fit??
DixieTheKid

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah he is putting it in his P100, saves moding the tunnel i guess.

COS IT'S Worth IT

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/9/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt very much if the ford bellhousing will fit in a vauxhall. He'd need a custom bellhousing and type 9/t5

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ashg

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
gearstick on the omega box is in a very similar position to the ford boxes and its a much better box, stronger more refined quieter direct fit to the vaux engine. dunning and fairbank can make up a prop with omega flange one end and ford diff the other end.

forgot to say it fits in my transmission tunnel which was designed for a type 9

[Edited on 10/9/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

DixieTheKid

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well i think he shold of done a bit more homework before purchasing the thing! Im sure he thinks he can go and by an adaptor plate you know...

[Edited on 10/9/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

big_wasa

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you can by the adapter plate it would have to be custom made. They only tend to make adapters when there is nothing elts suitable.
DixieTheKid

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I doubt you can by the adapter plate it would have to be custom made. They only tend to make adapters when there is nothing elts suitable.

Well put, T5 with after market bellhouseing if it was me. Mine you, what does the LET push out 200bhp? Cheap option would be the Type 9, that would cope.

COS IT'S Worth IT

ss1turbo

posted on 10/9/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The Omega R25/R28 box is almost identical to the MT75 in dimensions, plus the remote linkages almost fit and the donut at the back is even the same....

Long live RWD...

DixieTheKid

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Which is the better box the r25 or r28?

COS IT'S Worth IT

ss1turbo

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
The R28 is stronger but harder to find as it was only fitted to the 3.0 and 3.2 Omega. R25 = 250Nm torque limit; R28 has a supposed 280Nm limit but there is a bit of lee way in those figures. You also find the boxes in the Carlton and Senator, but the CIH engine has (I believe) a different bellhousing pattern so may not fit...

Long live RWD...

DixieTheKid

posted on 11/9/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
The R28 is stronger but harder to find as it was only fitted to the 3.0 and 3.2 Omega. R25 = 250Nm torque limit; R28 has a supposed 280Nm limit but there is a bit of lee way in those figures. You also find the boxes in the Carlton and Senator, but the CIH engine has (I believe) a different bellhousing pattern so may not fit...

What did you put your box into?

[Edited on 11/9/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

ss1turbo

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo

What did you your put your box into?

A Reliant Scimitar GTE...still attached to the X30XE

As I said before, I also had an MT75 box sat next to it (for a slow-progress Zetec conversion to one of my Scimitar SS1s). That has a very narrow tunnel originally taking a Type 9. The MT75 might just fit (with a little tunnel relief, I think), but without getting a 3D model or tape measure out, the MT75 and R25/8 (its the same casing) look to be almost the same box built under license (from who - Getrag?); so many similarities. I think it would be safe to say that if a tunnel can take an MT75, it can take the R25/8. Both boxes are tall though - taller than a Type 9 (in relation to the input shaft). Whereas a Type 9 can fit in the GTE bodyshell with no issues, I did have to do some "relieving" to get the R28 in but most of that was relating to the remote linkage TBH. It also hangs lower than a Type 9.

Long live RWD...

DixieTheKid

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info bud, i've been round my mates place today. The engine is an easy fit, the MT75 is so close to mating to the LET but as you say its not quite right! Dam close though. Im Gutted, well for him anyway.

However! All this gives me a thought............ im building a Westy with a cossie lump, why dont i put a LET in mine with a omega gearbox if its that close? Ok Cosworth YB would be nice and dont get me wrong ive got 90% of what i need but i have realized the Cosworth badge comes with the Cosworth price tag. hhhhmmmmmmmmmm........ aways been a ford man myself, could this be the tipping point?!? Pocket the cash and spend else where.

COS IT'S Worth IT

ss1turbo

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the little foibles associated with the conversion, but i'd go with a post-94 Saab lump as it bolts to the 'Mig gearbox due to GMs influence. Engines are rock solid (the B204/B234 anyway) and 300bhp+ costs pennies (and I mean pennies thanks to T5suite) with the 2.3. Internals are good for another 100bhp more..and some! Just keep a spare DI cartridge with you at all times as they are about the only weak point.

Know what you mean with the "Cossie Tax" - it was bad enough when trying to amass a collection of RS-only bits...

Long live RWD...

DixieTheKid

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
pardon me but is a T5suite and a DI cartridge?

COS IT'S Worth IT

westy turbo

posted on 13/9/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a T5 to my vaux LET,and it seems that is doing good at 400hp mark,for a stock z20let the ones mentioned above will do,
but if u can afford the T5 do it once,so u dont have to worrie for future upgrades.

DixieTheKid

posted on 13/9/11 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westy turbo
I fitted a T5 to my vaux LET,and it seems that is doing good at 400hp mark,for a stock z20let the ones mentioned above will do,
but if u can afford the T5 do it once,so u dont have to worrie for future upgrades.

Where did you get the bellhousing from?

COS IT'S Worth IT

westy turbo

posted on 13/9/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.aframeengineering.co.uk/
ss1turbo

posted on 13/9/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
pardon me but is a T5suite and a DI cartridge?

T5suite is free programming software for the ECU and DI = Direct Ignition; the Saab engine uses a 4-in-a-pack coil-on-plug arrangement; no distributor, no ECU (its all inbuilt) for ignition.

Long live RWD...

westy turbo

posted on 13/9/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is he happy?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.