Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Check your cutting disks!
scudderfish

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Check your cutting disks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthnhIZz71w

Dodgy out of date Clarke cutting disks.

Peteff

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
The man obviously wasn't wearing gloves and how does the disc come into contact with the back of your hand. I've had them go from twisting them in the cut inadvertently and they usually end up 30 feet away. He says he was grinding where it clearly says cutting disc on the label. I have discs in the shed which are years old and still using them with no problems, he sounds like he's after a claim.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Toprivetguns

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have a good ''where there is a blame, there is a claim case'' my friend. If you can prove they were purchased from an official clarke outlet you should be intitled to compensation of some sort.

Extremely lucky that wasn't your eye!

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

NigeEss

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
The man obviously wasn't wearing gloves and how does the disc come into contact with the back of your hand. I've had them go from twisting them in the cut inadvertently and they usually end up 30 feet away. He says he was grinding where it clearly says cutting disc on the label. I have discs in the shed which are years old and still using them with no problems, he sounds like he's after a claim.

Agreed. Improper use and your asking for trouble.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Pete, he keeps referring to them as "grinding discs" when they are obviously cutting discs. If you use them for grinding, they can and do shatter quite easily.

[Edited on 11/9/11 by MikeRJ]

daviep

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
I think you have a good ''where there is a blame, there is a claim case'' my friend. If you can prove they were purchased from an official clarke outlet you should be intitled to compensation of some sort.

Extremely lucky that wasn't your eye!

How exactly did you deduce that? Were you there and observed what the user was doing when the discs failed? Do you know that the discs have been stored correctly between purchase and use? Is the user trained and competent in the inspection and use of abrasive wheels?

You obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, I hate people who propogate this blame/claim culture which tries to absolve the individual of any responsibility. If it's my hands, eyes, etc which are going to be injured I have the ultimate responsibilty to try and prevent it where I can e.g. checking tools are in good shape and used properly.

I'm not saying that the guy didn't do all of the above, I don't know neither dooes anybody else.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

scudderfish

posted on 11/9/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Irrespective of whether he was using them as intended, the fact that the date had had a sticky label put over it to make it look newer than it was is concerning. Someone was passing off a disk as something that it wasn't.

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/9/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, looks naughty

But, what happens to a disc over time?? I would have thought they would be pretty inert. Never noticed any storage instructions either, or indeed dates, on mine (never actually checked, and they are stored in a cupboard in the garage)

macc man

posted on 11/9/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have used discs that were well beyond the expiry date with no problems. Could just be a faulty batch of discs. As said protectve gloves could save a lot of injury.

matt_claydon

posted on 11/9/11 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
The guy has a nasty injury, but it is a bit OTT to say that something illegal has definitely happended because an expiry date has been changed - there is no law covering cutting disc expiry dates!

I see two possible scenarios:

1) A dodgy company has bought a job lot of out-of-date discs at a knock-down price, and just put stickers over the date to hide the issue. Almost certainly fraud at best, and quite possibly various other far more serious offences if people are injured as a result.

2) Clarke manufacturered too many, had a lot of stock that went past it's expiry date, did some testing and found the discs to be pukka and unaffected by age so extended the date. There is nothing wrong with this providing it is based on technical expertise and testing - they are the people who set the date in the first place afterall.

If its (1) then the guy has a valid point and regardless of whether he used or misused the discs probably will get a claim paid out, although if he was using them incorrectly he should count his blessings as the same thing would have happened with a perfect disc and he wouldn't have got buttons.

If it's (2), then it seems more likely he was abusing the disc, as so many of us do, and the date thing is pure coincidence.

Either way, some lawyers are probably going to make some money...

theconrodkid

posted on 11/9/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
i have never seen an expiry date on cutting or grinding discs,so why is the date there?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NigeEss

posted on 11/9/11 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
3rd possible scenario.....

The disc broke for whatever reason.
He prints his own date label and applies it to stir up some dung.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

deltron63

posted on 11/9/11 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Or they could be cheap copies from China

posted on 11/9/11 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had a look at the ones I have and all three makes have a year
stamped on the inner steel ring.
I must confess I have never spotted this before.

The top one is an old half used one but I have no idea when I bought it.
I'll just chuck it in the bin to be on the safe side.

IMHO a grinder with a cutting disc should be held with two hands.
One on the grinder body and the other on the side handle.
The work should be clamped solid.

Holding the work in one hand and the grinder in the other is asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Paul G

Cutting disc dates
Cutting disc dates

MikeRJ

posted on 11/9/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i have never seen an expiry date on cutting or grinding discs,so why is the date there?

Presumably the resin that bonds the abrasive together degrades over time.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/9/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
My dad and I have had some spectacular fails in all the years of using discs.
Dad had a wall he was cutting take the blade clean off the machine and fly away frisbee style
I had a blade blow up at 3am in the morning cutting a damaged burglar bar away to repair it.
The bar sprung loose and grabbed the blade shredding it all whilst standing on a ten foot steps.
Some choice words where said. Have a lot of respect for carbo blades and always take care when using them.
I hate using the big machine ! It's potential energy is huge.
Mac speedy and I cut a diff out of an axle and it wanted to blow it's self to shreds.
Always have the shield on and a glove or two

plentywahalla

posted on 11/9/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Usually the cutting edge gets rounded off and print on the back wears away almost immediately when used for cutting. On the disc that exploded there is no sign of either the cutting edge having been rounded or any of the print wearing.

I agree ... looks like he was grinding, just as he said himself. He blew his chance of compensation with that video!

ReMan

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
So what do I do with this?
And its a biggee!
discbad
discbad

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Benzine

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Could have just been a input error/printing error which was then updated with stickers
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
So what do I do with this?
And its a biggee!
discbad
discbad

Contact clarke and ask the question or use them and tell us if they explode

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

ReMan

posted on 11/9/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'm going to have too
discbad2
discbad2

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Look like Chinese knock offs to me. From what you can make out on the vid', the discs are pretty thick and cupped at the center like a grinding disc. Cutting discs discs are flatter and not that thick. So if thats correct and the printing is dodgy along with dodgy quality... =counterfit?

I've had a dodgy batch of cutting discs in the past but they didn't explode, just broke up from the edge like very rapid wear.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ianclark1275

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
first thing to check is the speed of the disc

it should be greater (faster) than the speed of the machine if petrol driven (in case it runs out of petrol and speeds up)

equal to if its electric.

Next

Storage, discs are made from resins and must be kept dry, if they get damp, they will fail.

next

how the operator used the disc, using extreme force is not the method, this also can damage the disc.

i recon the cause is one or more of the above.

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

flak monkey

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Resin and rubber bonded abrasives have a shelf life. Both absorb moisture from the air and degrade over time. We have had problems at work in the past with rubber bonded wheels, but these go in enclosed machines and just result in a broken wheel and no major damage.

Vitrified wheels dont have a shelf life and will keep indefinately. This is the sort of wheels you have on your bench grinder.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DixieTheKid

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
If the disc has expired bin it, unless the disc has not been in contact with a lot of moisture, water & stored correctly, and if you does this at your own risk be it (im not recommending this!)

Expirey dates can be extended but its not wise and its very rare that its carried out. I believe this can only be done by the manufacturer but role of thumb is to bin it, we were strongly advise NOT to sell OOD blades and had to destroy them.

I once had to do an "abrasive wheels" course for a hire company and have obviosly used a few in my time, i would say that cutting disc has either been miss used or has not been stored correctly, also could be that the grinder/cutter rpm is to great for the disc and may other possible answers. If your cutting metal why would you not use a staight blade or thin cut anyway? Why the offset cutting blade?

COS IT'S Worth IT

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.