Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: another petition - MOT 4-2-2
speedyxjs

posted on 12/9/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
another petition - MOT 4-2-2

Another petition this time against the idea to make MOT's after 4 years from new and then every 2 years thereafter rather than the 3-1-1 we have at the moment.

[Edited on 12-9-11 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

MikeCapon

posted on 12/9/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why? What's the problem with 4-2-2?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 12/9/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon

Quite a few cars seem to be failing MOT's on their first MOT as alot of new cars nowadays are used as company vehicles and rack up pretty high miles in 3 years so by 4 years could be pretty dangerous. I would like to know what others in the trade experience to see if its just me!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

r1_pete

posted on 12/9/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

Quite a few cars seem to be failing MOT's on their first MOT as alot of new cars nowadays are used as company vehicles and rack up pretty high miles in 3 years so by 4 years could be pretty dangerous. I would like to know what others in the trade experience to see if its just me!

Add to that the number of people buying cheap old cars which have just scraped through an MOT, and treating them as disposable after a year, they would then have 2 years to deteriorate before being 'forced' off the road or repaired.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 12/9/11 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have a look at this website and tell me the average car owner should drive their car for 2 years before having it looked at by a mechanically minded person.
I think most posters on here forget how little most people know about their cars, the cars on that site are "driven" in to the garage..

example;

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2753
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 12/9/11 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
No doubt it will be signed by the owner of every mot station in the land.
coyoteboy

posted on 12/9/11 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all for keeping 3-1-1, while it's expensive and frustrating for me who maintains cars well, for every me there's 20 someone elses who don't know their arse from their elbow and never look at the car or get it serviced. I've seen dozens of cars with bald tyres, cars that pull drastically on hard braking - all sorts that I can spot just driving down the road, let alone with a set of ramps and an inspection lamp.
pmc_3

posted on 12/9/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

By the time the car i've got at the moment was 4 years old it had covered 120k miles!

britishtrident

posted on 12/9/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding it is not going to be 4-2-2 which I actually think would be a very good thing what we are likely to get is a much stricter version of the current 3-1-1 systemie the worst of both worlds.
coyoteboy

posted on 12/9/11 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you think 4-2-2 is a good thing?
Ninehigh

posted on 12/9/11 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:

Have a look at this website and tell me the average car owner should drive their car for 2 years before having it looked at by a mechanically minded person.
I think most posters on here forget how little most people know about their cars, the cars on that site are "driven" in to the garage..

example;

Is that a brake disc?

AndyRead

posted on 12/9/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
As above why 4-2-2?

Not only is 3-1-1 better for the safety of the driver & all other road users,

It is also hard enough for MOT stations to make a good living without halving the car turnover!

Andy

Macbeast

posted on 12/9/11 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Let's say I scrape through the MOT with tyres that are just within limits. Are they going to be legal / safe after two more years ?
London minicabs have to do MOT every six months.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Benzine

posted on 12/9/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Is that a brake disc?

is it half of what used to be a vented brake disk?

iank

posted on 12/9/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyRead
As above why 4-2-2?

Not only is 3-1-1 better for the safety of the driver & all other road users,

It is also hard enough for MOT stations to make a good living without halving the car turnover!

When they introduced that in Canada (maybe just in BC) they doubled the price of their MOT equivalent to deal with that 'problem' - so anyone wanting 4-2-2 because of the apparent cost advantage might want to think about that.

[Edited on 12/9/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

posted on 12/9/11 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

Example;

What's wrong with that! Plenty of meat left on it... and there are 3 other ones as well!

It's Evolution Baby!

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/9/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Let's say I scrape through the MOT with tyres that are just within limits. Are they going to be legal / safe after two more years ?

Lucky blighters, here in East Northants it's 3 (yes THREE) Hackney tests (like MOT, but strickter) plus annual MOT.

Personally, having worked in the motor trade, been a mechanic and MOT tester, and, having seen the condition of cars that the general public are 'happy' driving around in, then I say keep it as is.

1, gentleman called in to work shop with an intermitent brake problem (Montego estate). - N/S/F wheel bearing so badly collapsed that the vehicle needed new bearing, bearing carrier (front hub knuckle), Outer CV joint, CV drive flange into bearing, new discs & pads ( N/S/F disc had fouled on calliper carrier and was damaged).

2, Older gentleman had driven his Fiat 20 miles to our test station, it needed to be tested because he spent the last year & a half in hospital and now he was out it needed testing so he could drive to the shops in Milton Keynes (I was in Bedford). the car was a 1970's Fiat and was covered in moss, I put it on the MOT ramp and when I started to jack it up at the front, the car started to bend in the middle and the sills started to open up, it was that rotten,I suspended the test, advised the customer that the was in my opinion unsafe to be on the road and given its condition, I was unwilling to do the mot test and the vehicle should be recovered away from the depot. 'Oh its all right I'll drive it slowly home' says he.

I could go on, quite easily.......

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

britishtrident

posted on 12/9/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Following the German model which is where the idea tyre tread limit for passing the test would be raised, in effect you have to buy a full set of tyres for every MOT.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 12/9/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

Following the German model which is where the idea tyre tread limit for passing the test would be raised, in effect you have to buy a full set of tyres for every MOT.

Warrington does 6 months too, but at least it's one fee!

The tread limit isn't a bad idea, 1.6mm minimum to be legal but require (say) 2mm for MOT

coyoteboy

posted on 12/9/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hmmm my other half recently had to replace her rear tyres after they started cracking - 4.5mm of tread across the tyre despite 7 years of driving (60K miles) on it!

Either way, don't think it makes any sense to have 2 years between at all - I can see no argument for it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.