Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Couriers
Lightybob

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Couriers

Hi,

I need to arrange a courier to pick up a large tool box. has anybody got any suggestions as to which company is best and to what the cost may be? The box is a Snap on top box in Hastings delivered to Leeds.

Thanks David

gavin174

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
try parcel2go.com

just need dimensions and weight and they will give you some prices..

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

v8kid

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
They all network through a few "wholesale" systems so are all of a muchness. My local guy is Paisley Freight and would charge around £7 for pretty much anything unless it is bulky.

Tracking to the nth degree , delivery to specified times are all excuses to charge more for "added value" but in reality male little cost difference to the carrier.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lightybob

posted on 15/9/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!
trextr7monkey

posted on 15/9/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
We have used www.parcelmonkey as well as www.interparcel they have been very efficient ,
parcel 2 go lost 2 of a set of 4 wheels sent to London, delivered them back to me in Carlisle after about 9 days then took them again and made 2 trips to delibver a wheeleach time on the same afternoon so I wouldn't reccomend them...
atb
Mike
Ps probably worth paying a couple of quid extra for insurance with a valuable item, just in case!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

spiderman01980

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
they charge what ever is greater, ie if the parcell weighs 0.01g and is the size of a car you get charged for the size, if its the size of a 50p and weighs 20kg you get charged for the weight, and depending how much it weighs most couriers wont take it, and no its not their job to break their back and put your overweight toolbox in the back of their van.
scootz

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980
... and no, its not their job to break their back and put your overweight toolbox in the back of their van.

You having a debate with yourself about something or other? Who said anything about the toolbox being 'overweight'? If it's correctly packaged, properly described and has been accepted by the booking agent, then yes, IT IS the couriers job to put it in the back of their van!

It's Evolution Baby!

spiderman01980

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
... and no, its not their job to break their back and put your overweight toolbox in the back of their van.

You having a debate with yourself about something or other? Who said anything about the toolbox being 'overweight'? If it's correctly packaged, properly described and has been accepted by the booking agent, then yes, IT IS the couriers job to put it in the back of their van!

its not the booking agent that has to lift it, and if its overweight i(as a courier for fedex) dont have to lift it if i feel it may cause me an injury(health and safety), i get it all the time i get to the door and my notes say its a small package that weighs 5kg and it ends up being a massive box that weighs 50kg, so then it goes down as the booking agents fault and problem, not mine.

sprouts-car

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
they charge what ever is greater, ie if the parcell weighs 0.01g and is the size of a car you get charged for the size, if its the size of a 50p and weighs 20kg you get charged for the weight, and depending how much it weighs most couriers wont take it, and no its not their job to break their back and put your overweight toolbox in the back of their van.

Some quick maths tells me that would give a density of 2.23*10^7 Kg.M^-3.

Not quite the same density as a white dwarf, but not what you'd want in your pocket.

If you want to check my workings (don't know why you would) I started with these facts:

a normal 50p weights 8g
is 75% Copper and 25% Nickel
(from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_specifications_of_a_British_50_Pence_coin)

Copper has a density of 8.94 g.cm^-3
Nickel has a density of 8.908 g.cm^-3
(from wikipedia)

I'll get my coat....

[Edited on 16/9/11 by sprouts-car]

Build blog

spiderman01980

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
quote:

Some quick maths tells me that would give a density of 2.23*10^7 Kg.M^-3.

Not quite the same density as a white dwarf, but not what you'd want in your pocket.

If you want to check my workings (don't know why you would) I started with these facts:

a normal 50p weights 8g
is 75% Copper and 25% Nickel
(from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_specifications_of_a_British_50_Pence_coin)

Copper has a density of 8.94 g.cm^-3
Nickel has a density of 8.908 g.cm^-3
(from wikipedia)

I'll get my coat....

[Edited on 16/9/11 by sprouts-car]

what would be the smallest thing that i could use as an example that would weigh 20kg?

sprouts-car

posted on 16/9/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

what would be the smallest thing that i could use as an example that would weigh 20kg?

An iridium cube with side of 9.59cm (think iridium has the highest density?)
A gold cube with sides of 10.11 cm
A lead cube with sides of 12.08 cm

Build blog

designer

posted on 16/9/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Has this post been hijacked by scientists?

It's a toolbox, it's hollow and it's made of steel!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 16/9/11 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey

parcel 2 go lost 2 of a set of 4 wheels sent to London, ...

Isn't parcel 2 go just a price comaprison site ?
- isn't the actual delivery done by DHL, City link, UPS, etc. etc ?

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

Confused but excited.

posted on 16/9/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
With ref to Paisley Freight. Not everyone is happy with them: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drifting-chat/104797-another-dont-use-paisley-freight-thread.html

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Ninehigh

posted on 16/9/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

its not the booking agent that has to lift it, and if its overweight i(as a courier for fedex) dont have to lift it if i feel it may cause me an injury(health and safety), i get it all the time i get to the door and my notes say its a small package that weighs 5kg and it ends up being a massive box that weighs 50kg, so then it goes down as the booking agents fault and problem, not mine.

I've been told from several places of employment that the maximum one person can lift is 25kg, anything above that means two people or some sort of tool (pallet truck etc)

However back in the day I used to carry 32 inch tube tellys on one shoulder, they were more than 25kg!

spiderman01980

posted on 16/9/11 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've been told from several places of employment that the maximum one person can lift is 25kg, anything above that means two people or some sort of tool (pallet truck etc)

However back in the day I used to carry 32 inch tube tellys on one shoulder, they were more than 25kg!

that is very true, i think in other parts of europe its 23kg, but a friend of mine which is an area manager for mitie has told me that thats also gone out the window, because its assumung that an average person can lift 25kg, and 25kg is a lot of weight, for example fedex employ a 5ft3in young fit slim lady to deliver their goods but then has to be sacked because she cant lift and carry 25kg up 3 flights of stairs(and yes not all flats have lifts), you say you used to carry big tellys on one shoulder so does that mean that everyone can, who does the 25kg for one person apply to, believe me i get to places and you have men stragle to move this one box that probably weighs 15kg that iv just put on the floor and say oh i cant lift i need that put upstairs(and this guy is bigger than me).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.