Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Tracking Gauge
matty h

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Tracking Gauge

Has anyone got any links to a easy to make and accurate tracking gauge.
Thanks Matty

myke pocock

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Any good?

http://www.elantragtclub.com/id554.html

AndyGT

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1597992&postcount=42

linky-lonk-link

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is slighly slimpler, accurate enough.
Made up of some ally rectangle tube and a few brackets. Threaded rod drilled in at either end allow adjustment to suit most size cars.

With fetling could be used to do camber too.

Antnicuk

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
the idea above is basically the same as the one i used, except i dont have the uprights. Very quick easy to and very accurate, it takes about 5 or 10 minutes to check and adjust.

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

craig1410

posted on 16/9/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I just stick some masking tape on the tyre, make a mark with a pen and roll it from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock and vice versa and then just drop the marks down to the garage floor (more masking tape) and measure the relative distance between the marks with a straight edge. Easy, quick, cheap and accurate.
rusty nuts

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
When I rebuilt my car I used a lengths of box section against each wheel sitting on a pair of wooden blocks front and rear then measured with a tape measure and adjusted accordingly. When I took it to work and checked using laser wheel alignment equipment it was spot on . I've been looking at the laser wheel alignment gear from Gunsons on E bay Trackace DIY Car Laser Wheel Alignment Tracking Gauge | eBay
whitestu

posted on 16/9/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I messed about with lasers and angle gauges which were OK but a bit fiddly, and eventually bought a Gunsons Trackrite for £35, which you just drive over to get a reading. It is very simple and works perfectly.

Stu

[Edited on 16/9/11 by whitestu]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/9/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a paper template of an old gunsons system. You bungie cord a large bit of metal to the wheel rim. Its shaped so it sits on the rim and not the tyre & sits quite low on the wheel so misses the bodywork. You then measure the distance between the front and rear bit of the metal, its sized so that each mm difference means something or other (1/2 a degree or something).
MK9R

posted on 16/9/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at trackace

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 17/9/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
2 lengths of straight wood (ha ruddy ha) or I now use some steel box about 600mm long. 2 housebricks. Tape measure or 2 is a little quicker. One helper is handy too.
Car on the level, brick against the centre of the bottom of the tyre, on its edge. Bit of steel placed centrally and just touching the tyre front and rear. Measure distance front and back, adjust as needed.

Important to load the seats with expected driver and passenger loads too, so borrow a couple of passers by

rusty nuts

posted on 17/9/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
2 lengths of straight wood (ha ruddy ha) or I now use some steel box about 600mm long. 2 housebricks. Tape measure or 2 is a little quicker. One helper is handy too.
Car on the level, brick against the centre of the bottom of the tyre, on its edge. Bit of steel placed centrally and just touching the tyre front and rear. Measure distance front and back, adjust as needed.

Important to load the seats with expected driver and passenger loads too, so borrow a couple of passers by

Exactly how I did mine which on checking with a decent laser set up was spot on

[Edited on 17/9/11 by rusty nuts]

britishtrident

posted on 17/9/11 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
The original Gunson Trakrite is highly accurate and well worth the money, The new DIY laser system which is being sold under various names including Trackace and Takrite laser is no better.

[Edited on 17/9/11 by britishtrident]

bmseven

posted on 17/9/11 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I messed about with lasers and angle gauges which were OK but a bit fiddly, and eventually bought a Gunsons Trackrite for £35, which you just drive over to get a reading. It is very simple and works perfectly.

Stu

[Edited on 16/9/11 by whitestu]

+1

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.