Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel mounted indicators
rdodger

posted on 22/9/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel mounted indicators

A friend of mine has this on his Caterham and I love the idea.

This is how it works.

Mode 1 : Press turn signal button for 1 second, turn signal lights will flash for 7 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when changing lanes.
Mode 2 : Press turn signal button for 2 seconds, turn signal lights will flash for 20 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when slowing down to go around a corner.
Mode 3 : Press turn signal button for 4 seconds, turn signal lights will flash for 75 seconds, then self cancel. This mode is usually used when stopping at a signal light and turn will be made after stopping.

Note: All three modes above can be cancelled by pressing the same turn signal button a second time.

Mode 4 : Hazard Mode - is available all the time and will flash until cancelled. To engage, depress both the left and right turn signal buttons for 1 second. To cancel, depress both buttons again for one second.

So the question is would it pass IVA?

Would the wheel mounted buttons need to be marked with arrows?

I guess it would be easy enough to change it after IVA along with fitting a quick release wheel.

The system is available from a US company

http://www.signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=36&category_id=14&option=com_virt uemart&Itemid=77

RazMan

posted on 22/9/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just one observation here - 7 seconds to change lanes? I would have thought you could half all of those times and still have too much time.

Nice idea though - I'm always leaving my indicators on in bright sunlight as I can't see the warning light on the dash.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 22/9/11 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Just one observation here - 7 seconds to change lanes? I would have thought you could half all of those times and still have too much time.

Nice idea though - I'm always leaving my indicators on in bright sunlight as I can't see the warning light on the dash.

I expect when changing lanes you'd be very likely to cancel it yourself (as you do with normal indicators).

Sounds like a good plan to me other than the usual steering wheel mounted button issue of 'where the hell has that bloody button gone?!'.

Unfortunately I can't help on the IVA side of things.

[Edited on 22-9-11 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bbwales

posted on 22/9/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I had one of these fitted post IVA, they are brilliant but the only problem you have is you don't get a warning light when using 4 ways, this is a definite IVA fail, but still excellent post IVA, I used a Savage switch and another flasher can for 4 ways.

Regards

Bob

iank

posted on 23/9/11 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

I had one of these fitted post IVA, they are brilliant but the only problem you have is you don't get a warning light when using 4 ways, this is a definite IVA fail, but still excellent post IVA, I used a Savage switch and another flasher can for 4 ways.

Regards

Bob

Did a tester tell you that? Because the manual says flashing both left and right green tell-tails counts as a hazard warning tell-tail (33 Identification of Controls - Table A).
Though for an easy life the red triangle tell-tail avoids all argument.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

steve m

posted on 23/9/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
"Nice idea though - I'm always leaving my indicators on in bright sunlight as I can't see the warning light on the dash. "

so did i, but ive fitted buzzers as well and they remind me

steve

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/9/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by bbwales
Hi,

Regards

Bob

Did a tester tell you that? Because the manual says flashing both left and right green tell-tails counts as a hazard warning tell-tail (33 Identification of Controls - Table A).
Though for an easy life the red triangle tell-tail avoids all argument.

I would guess that's fine if you have a turn warning light for each side, but some have a combined left right warning light (or is that not allowed at IVA?)

[Edited on 23/9/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jimgiblett

posted on 23/9/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I agreee 7 seconds seems too long. My Beemer does three flashes (3-4 secs) for lane change which seems about right.

All this stuff is a lot less hassle post IVA. Or get something pre 1973 and everything legislative becomes better

- Jim

rdodger

posted on 23/9/11 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
You finished it yet Jim?
jimgiblett

posted on 23/9/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
You finished it yet Jim?

Hey Rog

Of course it is (if a car is ever finished that is).

Last weekend I was in Angouleme for the Circuit des Ramparts. 1200 round trip no problem.

It is as fast if not faster than my Fury (circa 300 ponies with the bigger injectors and more boost). Takes a bit more stopping due to weight and normal road tyres though.

- Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.