Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd: Information on Diesel Transit Vans / Campers
wilkingj

posted on 25/9/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd: Information on Diesel Transit Vans / Campers

I dont seem to be looking in the right places for this info!

So...
I am looking to buy a Diesel Transit Campervan. How far back to I need to go to avoid these nasty electronic computer controlled diesels that are like the one in my 2006 Mondeo. ie the ones with the crazy money injectors that have to be calibrated on the car.

Ie I would prefer to have an older style diesel engine, although not one thats 40 years old!

Can someone tell me the sort of cut off year that I should vehicles from.
I suspect that its the 2.5DI engine onwards, but have no idea on what years to look for.

Also anything else I should look for in a transit van, ie things to avoid, or watchout for when buying.
Especially what Mark / year etc..

Thanks in advance

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 26/9/11 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
1994 models (oval grille) were the first to use an electronic injection pump.

---
ETA.. Things to look out for in a Transit...
RUST ! Lots of it....
---

----Blatent Plug----(if a bit off topic)...........
....................Mate of mine has a VW Transporter, Y reg Camper for sale

[Edited on 26/9/11 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

doddy

posted on 26/9/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
i dont no much about campers but this site im on has lots of info on transits

http://fordtransit.org/forum/search.php?search_id=active_topics

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/4x4wheels

mcerd1

posted on 26/9/11 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think the ones your looking to avoid are the 2000 onwards ones (the ones just after the oval grille ones)

having said that both my brother and my dad run once of these (one 52 and one 54 plate) and other than the front wheel bearings being a bit of PITA to change they havn't got any complaints
but I was once stuck for 4 hours in my dad's old V reg one (oval grille) because the immobiliser started acting up

-

ssc28

posted on 26/9/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
The above is correct in relation to age, anything with the smillie front grill will have the eelctronics you dont seem to want. That said they are generally very reliable. As one of my mates says " 40,000 travellers can't all be wrong". If you can find one that's not rotten then you will be doing very well, I havent seeen a transit of the vintage you want that hasn't been significantly welded and as I'm sure you know once you start patching them it is a never ending job each MOT time.
scootz

posted on 26/9/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
That's something I've never quite worked out... how come £20k vans turn into rust buckets so soon!?

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 26/9/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Any reason for limiting yourself to Transit based vehicles?

Most of the ones I see on the road are based on Renaults/Citroens/Fiats etc. The older PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) diesel engines might also give you what you want in terms of minimal electronics and you might get more choice of vehicles too.

mcerd1

posted on 26/9/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
That's something I've never quite worked out... how come £20k vans turn into rust buckets so soon!?

next to no rust proofing (and probably cheaper steel too) there is alot more metal in the van so I'd guess you'd be looking at a few £k extra to rust proof them to the same standard as a modern car.
I guess they don't think its worth doing much as most vans will get to high milages in a short time so they'd rather just keep the cost down...

[Edited on 26/9/2011 by mcerd1]

-

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/9/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Actually... the smiley front only has the immobiliser (which in itself is by-passable), but no other electronics, it isn't common rail, no expensive pumps/injectors/nonsense.

My pre 1996 MK5 smiley's have had a cable speedo (electronic post 1996). Apart from that, pretty much identical all years. Bosch alternator is far better than the Lucas, which destroys itself and spits oil everywhere.

Back axle whines, the propshaft (original) isn't so good with sealed-for-death UJs (this will have been replaced on most vans by now). The MK5's are 100% reliable as general race-tugs, albeit at a slow pace. Axles on the 80/100/120 are simple, Banjo-type standard items - easy to find and replace, 150 and over have the heavy duty axle - good, but a pain to replace the differential (and yes the cage breaks up if you tow a lot). 5 Stud wheels - light axle, 6 stud is heavy.

RUST is the enemy, but panels are cheap and easy to replace. Chassis goes everywhere, but especially above the front axle unit (coils and rack and pinion on post 1992) and above the rear axle. Door steps are a pain, because the seat belt mounting is within 30cm, so a rust fail. But yes, rust, and lots of it, is the only problem I have. I had an ex-AA 150 at one time, the front axle almost got to the front floor as the chassis collapsed over the last few months of it's life.

I love the vans, it's the reliability thing, along with fantastic memories of past Transits I've had as race tugs.

My current is a 1996 (post 1996 are really rusty, steel quality isn't as good), with excessive rust. I've put in a new rear floor recently (messy but simple) to keep things in the vehicle. Realy need to look at the rear door bottoms soon (they are kept shut with a bungee because there's nothing left of the things).

Neville Jones

posted on 26/9/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Up to 2000 the transits were mechanical injection.

Like above, I've got a 1996 P, 284k miles, and I do a days welding every year to get through MOT. Front floors, rear around the floor/wheel well joint, side cills, next is step wells. Already done the rear wheel arches,fronts next year.

I'm just thinking about changing the engine and box, as it's now got the very pronounced Transit diesel knock/rattle. Second hand engines under 120k miles still seem to fetch a good price.

70ps diesel engine does 28mpg round town, and has got 40mpg on motorway, though 36~38 mostly, all if treated gently, and with a lot of patience. 70hp in 1600kg's of van will never be quick!

Cheers,
Nev.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 26/9/11 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
fiat vans always seem popular for campervan conversions, might be worth a look.
ernie

posted on 26/9/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Also please bear in mind the London Low Emision Zone from jan 2012 vans/ camper vans registerd from jan 2002
shouild be ok

PANDE FIRE & SECURITY SYSTEMS

Neville Jones

posted on 26/9/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked the LEZ site to see if my old Tranny complies. NO!

It seems diesels have to be common rail injection and ecu controlled to get in, even though mine is still well under the MOT limits.

Biggest shock is the daily cost if you want to take a non-compliant diesel into the zone...£100!!!!!!!Taking the p*ss or what!

And the extents of the zone mean that trips to Heathrow to pick up relatives flying in are now a no no.

Utterly ridiculous!!!!!!

Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.