Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil leak
angliamotorsport

posted on 26/9/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
oil leak

Hi all, now that my engine is running, thanks to ab performance, it has developed an oil leak. Engine, zx10r, 04/05 has been out three times, everything cleaned, dried, new gasket, o rings, sealant applied but still leaks.
The leak is coming from the water cooled, oil filter area and only leaks when the engine is running.
I'm using a general purpose high temperature, oil resistant silicon sealant and am wondering if I should be using an rtv type sealant.
Any comments, thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon Ison

posted on 26/9/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not the correct answer but I had a minor oil leak that persisted whatever I did.

My cure, tigerseal, not leaked since, almost 18 months ago.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 26/9/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Are the two faces completely flat? I bought an oil filter housing from raceline and it wasn't flat so kept leaking - sent it back and they sorted it, no problems since.

Mark

Tiger Avon

angliamotorsport

posted on 26/9/11 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies guys, not heard of Tiger seal, and if it seals a leak would it seal anything that did not need sealing.
Only asking the question as I am a bit hesitant about using this type of product.

I did check, after the second engine out perfomance if all surfaces were flat, used a piece of thick plate glass and all appeared ok.

I was more concerned about the suitability of the sealant as the various bits that have sealant applied to them seem to part very easily.

angliamotorsport

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
Found the problem, crack in lower crancase, rats!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.