Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips on interviewing job applicants
nick205

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tips on interviewing job applicants

After very nearly leaving my current employer I have some recent experience of being interviewed first and second round and being both rejected and receiving job offers. I now find myself about to interview a round of applicants for my old job which will be reporting to me

In my experience of being interviewed it's mainly about whether you gel with the interviewer and demonstrate the correct attitude - specific qualifications/experience seems secondary (your CV should cover most of this element).

This is the approach I plan to take, but having never been on the conducting side of the process I'm after peoples advice and experiences.

What can you tell me people...?

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know your area of expertise but a basic test or two are always good and sort the bullshitters out from the right people.
CV's are fine but people come out of college with bits of paper that don't mean much these days (IMO).

We had a nice example of this for a technical post. Bits of computing, bits of electronics, mostly basic help for non-techies.
So we had a couple of little tests. One was 7 2-legged electrical components and the question was:
What are each of these, so there was a diode, a resistor, a capacitor etc..

One guy came across pretty well in interview. He took a long careful look at the components, and said "are they all fuses?". I suspect in his hands they would have been. He didn't get an offer, but he might have done without the test.

twybrow

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Probe for examples of what and how the candidates have made their achievements... I don't want to hear a list of achievements, I want examples to demonstrate what candidates have done....

Ask a question, then listen to the answer, then ask another one based upon that answer (listening to reflect is the term)... Don't let the candidate run away with the interview - if they are babbling/bullshitting, then move on.

skidmark

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's very easy to be too harsh on an interviewee. Think what it would be like if you were in their shoes and what you would expect to remember / be able to answer. You will quickly be able to discover whether or not you think the applicant is any good through a few pre-prepared technical questions about what they are supposed to have experience in / applies to the position. I for one hate those open-ended, HR type questions which don't really mean much and just serve to make the applicant unconfortable. Also, getting them to take you through their CV and highlighting any areas of interest tends to be useful in getting to know what they like doing / whether or not they will fit in.

Just from my limited experience in interviewing for my own contract position which I'm still in!

MikeR

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
completely agree with the test approach - i used to be a bit of a git in interviews. Always had me and someone else, put the test half way and it gave us a chance to talk about them & go back for part two having had each others views and comments.

Figure out what the job entails
Write a role profile for what the person will do
Figure out what traits / skills the person needs
figure out what someone doing the job poorly will be doing, someone doing ok, someone being a high achiever
figure out questions to either identify the skills / traits or (the fun bit) skills traits you don't want.
Figure out the test.

Job done, interviews planned - now get to it.

(the bit about traits you don't want is interesting as people always want to say "i'm good at ...." so if you decide you ask about something you don't want you'll get people telling you "i'm great at this cause ...." and you can think "hmmm, i don't want you". Where as if someone struggles for ideas / is open that this isn't them you're onto a winner.

Always ask open questions eg "give me an example of when you had to make a decision that went badly and what you did about it" you learn a lot more than "have you ever made a bad decision?"

RK

posted on 27/9/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget to check the references. The interview is a tough thing to do well. Don't beat yourself up if you flub it and get the wrong person once in a while. Personally, I absolutely hate the process, and I've been on both sides.
owelly

posted on 27/9/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
First thing to do is chuck half of the CVs in the bin. You don't need unlucky people working for you.
Fisrt impressions do last. If the job is for a suit, then take notice of how the candidate has dressed. Have they made the effort or just dragged out the wedding/christening/funeral suit. Shiney shoes? Etc.
Pick out stuff from the CV that is relevant to the position and get them to talk to you about it. You'll then get a feel for what they know. Ask them questions about the company. Have they bothered to check you out? Do they know what you do, how big the company is, are you international etc.
I'm another one for tests. I chucked and handful of nuts and bolts on the table and asked the candidates to put them together as we were talking. Some couldn't use their hands unless they could see them, some couldn't figure out they were different threads and sizes. etc. Not too important if they are delivering pizzas but more so if they were to me fitters (as they were in my case!)
I could ramble on all night! If you give us an idea of what the job entails, we could be a bit more constructive. Good luck!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 27/9/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr7 2-legged electrical components and the question was:
What are each of these, so there was a diode, a resistor, a capacitor etc..

One guy came across pretty well in interview. He took a long careful look at the components, and said "are they all fuses?". I suspect in his hands they would have been. He didn't get an offer, but he might have done without the test.

I like that.

I had several interviews at my current employer for different posts and the one i liked best (and the one i got) has a simular test. Design engineer post for a mechanical engineering company, so i got;
- Bend profiled plate part, sketch the flat pattern of the plate, roughly to scale, and add suitable estimated dimensions.
- Same part was missing some paint on the cut edge, why. (due to the oxide layer from cutting not being removed)
- Plastic part. How/why made, etc. (two piece clip together plastic injection molding, why two bits, how do you know, etc)

Asked questions about hobbies is think is good.

And also, what many dont do, listen. I had one interview where he just talked to me, could get word in edge-ways.
Very interesting to hear about him, the company, what i might be doing, but that wasnt really what i was there for!

Daniel

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/9/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
First thing to do is chuck half of the CVs in the bin. You don't need unlucky people working for you.

Genius.

steve m

posted on 28/9/11 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
My criteria, is pure and simple

does she make my heart race

Tiger Super Six

posted on 28/9/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I always have two interview approach - general 'get to know' you chat where they can talk around their CV and potentially give you 'bull*hit' and then a second interview where there is a technical test and also competency based questions 'give me an example of, tell me a time when etc'.

People can lie at the first stage or build themselves up, but the second stage gives them rope to hang themselves.

Also, as you mentioned, for me it is about getting the right person in the team, even if they need a bit of training. At least when they get there, they fit in and appreciate the investment in them.

Mark

Tiger Avon

wilkingj

posted on 28/9/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Agree on what they have actually done, even if its got nothing to do with the job.
I got my job as a GPO (BT) apprectice in 1969, on the strength of I took a scrap motorbike from a neighbours garden (Cost me £6-10s, or 13 weeks paper round wages at 50p a week!)
I got a manual from the library, stripped it, rebuilt it, got it MoT's and used it daily.
I did this when I was 15, and had it on the road for aged 16.
Oh, and I didnt have ANY of the 3 GCE's needed, However I sat the GPO entrance exam, and did well in it. (I hated school, and didnt try too hard. Which was a mistake soon rectified when I got to tech college when I was with BT)

I could NOT fathom out why, at the interview, they were more interested in what I had done with this damn motorbike, than what I know about electrics and communications.

Years later when I knew the training officer much better, I asked, as it had always bugged me why I got a job on an interview that had nothing to do with the job subject.
He told me, it was down to me actually doing stuff, finding out (from the library), and being successful at what I had done.
Ie I was a do'er, and would get on with jobs, and learn what I needed or didnt know.

It makes sense when you think about it.

So take into account what people have done even if its not job related, as it tells you what sort of person they are. ie followers or leaders, do'ers, slackers, couch potatoes etc.

I stayed with GPO / BT for 41 years and retired 18 Months ago due to stress and health reasons.
I only miss two things... The Money (I had a good job and had worked my way up the tree), and the Air Conditioning!

Beware of the bullshitters, liars, filkers, and general layabouts .

I like the practical test... its actually shows a lot about them. If they cant work it out, see what they say. It take a good man to say I cant do this, or I dont understand this. most will bullshit their way thru.

My son was recently given a Neuclear Magnetic Resonance chart at an interview and asked to explain what it showed. (He has a Masters in Chemistry). They didnt give him a calibration chart, so he could not do it. He said so, and thought he had muffed the interview.
BUT... he Got the job. I thought that was a sort of trick question to sort the candidates out.

Good luck with your interviews.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 28/9/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Top of my list after all the usual questions was always to ask them what were their good points followed by the cruncher what were their bad points.
If they couldn't admit to any bad points I never employed on the grounds that if they couldn't be open and honest on that one when a job's at stake what would happen in the future?.
Also after interviewing the candidate ask yourself not only CAN they do the job but also WILL they do the job.
Many candidates are well qualified but won't commit 150% to doing the job and it's the 150% candidate you need to employ.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

david_hornet27

posted on 28/9/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I used to use the 'elbow test' when interviewing females but it doesn't go down too well nowadays...
iank

posted on 28/9/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Setting testing questions which aren't too easy/hard/too long can be a bit of an art form, but can quickly filter out the people who should be asked to leave in under half an hour.

IMO you want to focus on what they can bring to the role in previous experience, transferable skills, ability to learn and attitude. Use the CV as a basis - it's usually fairly easy to catch out people who've got stuff on there they know little about. Had people say 'well I can't really remember', 'well I've not really done much, but I find xx really interesting' and just plain guess random thoughts about things.

On references, in the UK they're not worth very much. It's illegal to give a bad one, and one that's too good can get you sued by the new employer so at generally they're non-committal. Even truly awful people can find someone who'll say positive-ish things about them, especially if they want to get rid. Phone the referee for the best chance of good information.

Finally always ask about interests, you find a lot of people making stuff up there as well to make themselves seem more interesting.

ETA if you have a receptionist ask them their opinion (if possible straight after you've got them sat down and waiting for a coffee/water). I've rejected a few candidates over the years who were as nice as pie to my face, but rude and arrogant and in one case borderline abusive to the front desk - a good way to find out what people are really like.

[Edited on 28/9/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 28/9/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Three things I despise as a person being interviewed:

I went to the trouble to make a CV. I gave it to you. It's embarrasing to have to ask for it back so I can copy it out in twice the time it would have taken for you to just read it.

"Tell me about yourself" is too open ended, so is the sneaky way around it "What would your friends tell me about you?" mostly because the answer to that goes something like "Yeah he's a k**bhead, nah he's alreet really"

Please don't ask what I'd bring to the company, there's not a lot of scope for creativity in the jobs I'm going for it's either done or not...

steve m

posted on 28/9/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I do belive, that the whole interview policy, does not get to the crux of were we need to be, as i have interviewed people with 20+ years expieriance in my area, yet would i employ them, NO (i have done and it has failed badly)

Ive had people with no experiance, yet have more charisma/likeabilty, and so far, in my present employment, i have gone with my gut instinct, of what someone is like, and experaince is not the key,
you have to employ some one you can trust, who seems friendly, who is even nervous, (they dont want to be interviewed either) and nervous is an emotion, emotionless people are dangerous!

i am trying to recap, all of my interviewees, but i believe, every one i have been 90%+ right on, yet HR (fuckwits!!!) have always gone against my decision, thankfully, i seem to be able to get my way

you can have tests, tricky questions etc etc, but unless we are talking about a fully skilled position, gut reaction seems to win

Regards

steve

ianclark1275

posted on 28/9/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
all good comments so far

i use photos of what you need to be looking for in the job, put them on the projector and ask "whats wrong here"?

a good one is a picture of a worker asleep on duty. "what would you do?" everyone says, kick up the arse and dont do it again.

not many say they would ask whats wrong and investigate any personal problems etc...

most jobs involve computers, put excel on and type a column of 5 random numbers, then ask for the total of those numbers as fast as they can. for those who use excel, there are many ways to do it, but some faster than others, it tells you who really knows shortcuts.

also, consider the range of "characters" in the workplace, too many of the same type can lead to it being a bit dull, you need all types of people for it to be a good place to work.

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

nick205

posted on 28/9/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
EXCELLENT!

Some really good ideas in there - I'm busy making notes and thinking of some basic test questions.

Have to say I'm probably more worried about being the interviewer than I was being an interviewee

We've got 4 candidates lined up for next week so hoping to find someone fairly quickly. Planning to work from 4-2-1.

Any more comments, ideas and experiences will be welcome.

Cheers
Nick

ianclark1275

posted on 28/9/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
remember, if all 4 don't have the skills, then re advertise!

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/9/11 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianclark1275
a good one is a picture of a worker asleep on duty. "what would you do?" everyone says, kick up the arse and dont do it again.

not many say they would ask whats wrong and investigate any personal problems etc...

Ooooooohhh that's a really good one!

02GF74

posted on 30/9/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:

wrong answer. you set fire to their overalls and film for youtube.

best interview question of all time ever is:

Why are man hole covers round?

Reject any candidate that laughs as if it is a joke question - there is a good reason for it.

iank

posted on 30/9/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:

wrong answer. you set fire to their overalls and film for youtube.

Reject any candidate that laughs as if it is a joke question - there is a good reason for it.

There are numerous correct answers which is part of the point of the question as you can see how people think it through, the problem is been asked so commonly a lot of candidates know the answers.

I like the last question of 'what three words would you use to describe yourself' it's not really the answers that are important but about how they think under pressure (and being able to follow a simple instruction).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Madinventions

posted on 30/9/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I got asked the 'use 3 words to describe yourself' question in an interview a long time ago, and I remember answering with 'good at job'. Got the job too!

I also use a simple test when interviewing for electronics engineers (resistor colour code and some simple maths etc). We always make a point of leaving a calculator somewhere in view in the room and we often get people who said that they couldn't do the maths in their head. The ones that get off their butts and get the calculator normally get a more favourable response.

[Edited on 30/9/11 by Madinventions]

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

02GF74

posted on 9/10/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

There are numerous correct answers which is part of the point of the question as you can see how people think it through, the problem is been asked so commonly a lot of candidates know the answers.

really? I only know of one correct answer; wasn't aware this was a "standard" interview question.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.