Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: simple CAD software?? waterjet cutting CNC ?
tony-devon

posted on 6/10/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
simple CAD software?? waterjet cutting CNC ?

Hi all, Im looking for a recomendation for a fairly simple to use CAD software

I want to be able to eventually take or send drawings of things to waterjet or CNC

at the moment my needs are very simple

flat "plates" shaped and with holes etc.

so I would rather keep the software simple

this is all very new to me and I havent a clue, never used any of that kind of software before, so ideally something that maybe has a book you can purchase, with the aid of a book I taught myself to use dreamweaver to a decent standard so Im not totally stupid, just look it LOL

I currently create cardboard templates then draw round it onto plate and cut,drill, file etc etc, but for my latest ideas, I need quality and accuracy, I also want to step up the size and build something larger that I cant really do with hand tools

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 6/10/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Can the mods 'sticky' this somewhere?

Free CAD software for 2D/3D. Autocad in all but name.

DraftSight. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-[]-[]-S-[DraftSight]

Cheers,
Nev.

tony-devon

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
ok cool thanks, will look at that on the machine at home

now to try and work out how hard it is to take a cardboard template, with angles and holes etc, and turn it into a drawing on the computer screen LOL

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd mention I'm intending to offer a cheap drawing service to produce dwg files for laser/cnc/water cutting so for anyone who can't be bothered to learn how to use a drawing prog this may be a cheap & easy alternative, I'm intending prices to start from £6 so isn''t going to break the bank - obviously complex stuff could be quite a bit dearer. Will be able to offer laser cutting service in steel, stainless & ali too.
Won't be happening now till back from my hols as I'm off this w/e, but will defo be doing it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
andyw7de

posted on 6/10/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to send me a hand sketch Ill draw it for you (free) and give you a price for waterjet cutting

cheap cheap

cheers

Andy

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

tony-devon

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
aha now these are the sort of services we need

will get started with drawings and some dimensions

will need to be at least 3mm steel, its sort of a windy stretched out S shape, will need the bed of the machine to be able to handle probably 1.2m x 0.7m, with loads of holes etc

Im on holiday next week, but gives me time to work on the design, theres set places for a couple of holes, but the shaping and the rest of the holes are just decorative.

now Im excited

athoirs

posted on 6/10/11 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can I just say that Andy's service is second to none- you wont be disappointed!!

Ps I'll be needing a few more bits over the winter...

Alan B

posted on 6/10/11 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Can the mods 'sticky' this somewhere?

Free CAD software for 2D/3D. Autocad in all but name.

DraftSight. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/?xtor=SEC-6-GOO-[]-[]-S-[DraftSight]

Cheers,
Nev.

+1

tony-devon

posted on 7/10/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
well I downloaded it, and now my head has exploded, I cant even draw a square with the right dimensions LOL

I think I shall just give up and stick to scribbling on paper

all the drawings I do for local engineering company are usually on the back of an envelope, and I write NTS on them, one day he comented that he knew it wasnt to scale, I meant "not too straight" LOL

iank

posted on 7/10/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

will need to be at least 3mm steel, its sort of a windy stretched out S shape, will need the bed of the machine to be able to handle probably 1.2m x 0.7m, with loads of holes etc

From Andy's photo gallery

Size
Water jet
Water jet

Thickness
Rescued attachment P1160221 (912 x 684).jpg
Rescued attachment P1160221 (912 x 684).jpg

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.